Oldhammer fanzine issue 1

Thantsants

My scenario is still ready to go with some lovely artwork done by fellow oldhammerer, Knobgobbler.

I'm also still happy to help out with any editing/proof reading that might need doing - or anything else that needs doing and isn't too technical for that matter.

Erny's original thoughts still seem a good re-starting point.

Suggestions for other stuff to add -

Battle reports (Rumble in the Jungle) and general write up of the Bring Out Your Lead weekend at Foundry.

Sculpting the Oldhammer way - Fimm's Marsh Demons? Clam's chaos Dwarfs/ 4A Kev Adams Gobbo's, etc

Rules Questions you always wanted answered - any edition

Competition to come up with a concept for a forum mini?

Harry

Thantsants":3hgqqgjj said:
My scenario is still ready to go with some lovely artwork done by fellow oldhammerer, Knobgobbler.

I'm also still happy to help out with any editing/proof reading that might need doing - or anything else that needs doing and isn't too technical for that matter.

Erny's original thoughts still seem a good re-starting point.

Suggestions for other stuff to add -

Battle reports (Rumble in the Jungle) and general write up of the Bring Out Your Lead weekend at Foundry.

Sculpting the Oldhammer way - Fimm's Marsh Demons? Clam's chaos Dwarfs/ 4A Kev Adams Gobbo's, etc

Rules Questions you always wanted answered - any edition

Competition to come up with a concept for a forum mini?

I think this is a good way to pull it together.

You just need to come up with a set of regular features....extend Thansants list above to include all aspects of the hobby from miniature collecting to painting to playng games to .... you get the picture.
All we had was three guys bumping around the internet keeping an eye open for the hobby projects and articles that inspired us the most and contacting folks and asking them if we could turn their stuff into an article ... dropping them into each slot. one original article each to fill the gaps ... Jobs a good 'un.

With all the oldhammer blogs ... you just need three guys committed to this to pull this off.

Willmark

Hetz":1705j9uy said:
Willmark":1705j9uy said:
A word of advice guys?

Since I have a small bit of experience with these (those at CDO will get the joke) you have to have something with sufficient strength of will to drive this. No kidding there needs to be laser like focus or it will waffle.

That said good luck.

If you're saying you're up for the challenge, why not put some ideas forward?
I have been up for the challenge and did 15 issues between the Word of Hashut and Gold and Glory. Point being its an incredible amount of work.

Erny

Apart from seriously running out of actual free time and eventually enthusiasm the main problem for this was not lack of content but lack of illustrations. We can write all we like but if it looks like a word document with no pictures who will read it?

I'd be interested in helping this take off again, articles and ed input. I think a team of us would work best, keeping each other motivated. However either we pay for some decent illustrations or we finds someone good who loves oldhammer and will work for free.

zoggin-eck

Well, I'm a animator/illustrator myself. Projects with the words "work free of charge" can usually burn in hell, but I might try some "old school" fantasy art if anyone is interested.

Padre

And we can have illustrations of figures artfully posed perchance?

Like these from my current campaign ...

MiraglianoOutcast1_zps04424bc4.jpg

GreenCorsairs5_zps3c490bb9.jpg

PavonaOutcast4_zps5ff31620.jpg

Like a cross between figure photos and artwork.

Zhu Bajie

Nice figs Padre!

Oldhammer is a bit of a blog-based thing anyway. The question is what can a zine do better than what we already do?

Personally I'd be really interested in a physical, print-based thing that has new creative game-orientated content.. not stuff recycled from blogs that I've likely already read.

The way oldschool zines used to work is that contributors got free issues as "payment", and those who were just subscribers paid for their issues (typically around 60p). Occasionally a zine might take on advertising, but more often than not they were run by fledgling gaming companies (like Owl & Weasle run by Games Workshop) who were funding them as a method of promotion. Artwork (and game design for that matter) was largely amateur, but many of the people who we now know as professionals in the industry got started working that way.

Donpimpom

Erny":rv3fayhc said:
the main problem for this was not lack of content but lack of illustrations.
Maybe I can help you on this point, my current portfolio doesn't show any sample for this genre, but on my rookie years I published art for lots of game magazines and game publishers in europe and the US, so, I can dare to say I know the ropes.
What exactly are you after?

Erny

Donpimpom":1hz2buvu said:
Erny":1hz2buvu said:
the main problem for this was not lack of content but lack of illustrations.
Maybe I can help you on this point, my current portfolio doesn't show any sample for this genre, but on my rookie years I published art for lots of game magazines and game publishers in europe and the US, so, I can dare to say I know the ropes.
What exactly are you after?

I guess article specific illustrations, a scenario for example could do with well drawn maps, generic pictures of the forces that face each other and or specific illustrations of the narrative.

General filler illustrations to divide up text only pages. You know the sort of thing daemon heads, shields maybe a picture of an old hammer...

If we were aiming for recurring features we would perhaps consider illustrative elements to be repeated for those features, including titles, in magazine characters, thinking the white dwarf and black goblin here but maybe the golden gobbo and war goat are more our style..

Anyone enterprising enough to do a comic strip harking back to the days of Gobbledegook or Thrud would win huge admiration.

If any of those sort of ideas strike you as interesting let me know. If you have any ideas yourself let me know. I'm not really sure how much it is polite to ask to be done out of nothing more than love for the hobby but with enough illustrators involved this becomes a real interesting prospect.

tp_1983

Is this project still going ahead?

I'm a fledgling writer and would be happy to contribute some fluff.

As an example of my stuff I started a wargames blog here http://wargamesdispatches.blogspot.co.uk/ about a RoC/3rd Ed Narrative campaign I was running (still am, but it's been a while since the last battle)

Zhu Bajie

OK. I'ts been a few years, so I hope Erny doesn't mind a slomo-hijack. The kind of thing I'd be interested in producing would be a 32 page, black and white, A5 print only zine. Aim to get the price at around £6.

Content would be largely "stuff you can use at the table", so, for example...

* random mutations tables
* magical weapons
* unique troop types
* weird scenery rules
* scenarios

That kind of thing. Possibly short fiction, comics or fluff text. Original content only. Contributors would recieve a copy of the issue they contributed to. After issue 1, if demand was established then contributions would be paid for, although the budget would be limited.

Anyone interested in making this happen drop me a pm.

Zhu Bajie

Skarsnik & Old Lead":aa7xbldq said:
£6 for 32 pages in A5 black and white? :o

And people say WD is expensive these days!

Not as expensive as buying a 1980s 24 page black and white gaming zine (eg) these days :o

If you want free Oldhammer content, there is epic acreage of digital content out there that will fulfill your needs, and heck if you want to spurge £150 quid for a 200 pages of black and white in Realm of Chaos: Lost and the Damned, you can do that too. The zine will be something different.

That said, I'm not working to final print and distribution costs at the moment (hopefully both covered by the cover price), so if I can get it under, and at a quality I'm happy with then I will - but it still won't be 'cheap' - think of it as limited edition art game zine, rather than as a competitor to GWs advertorial.

Asslessman

I have a few things to keep busy for the couple of months to come but past that, I'm really motivated to commit.
Be it to stat and write the background for some of the models built within the community or to recreate new scenario packs and all, there's a good chance to combine talents here to make things greater than the sum of its parts.

Back