Giant 40k vehicle battle

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2020, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Giant 40k vehicle battle

Gauging interest and feasibility for a giant vehicle battle I'm thinking of running next year.

It would require either one of the larger tables, or two 6x4s butted together, for probably a whole afternoon. For the system, as much as the narrative potential of rogue trader is greater, I'm thinking 2nd ed would be a better fit being a bit quicker for a larger game.
I'm thinking of 4 players a side, with around 1000 points each, but without really setting any hard limits. The only limitation would be everything must be mounted or wheeled. I'd be inclined to include foot troops but only if they're in a transport. Mounted troops would be great to include too. Exodites, rough riders, boarboyz...!

In my head is orks v imperial, with giant drifts of buggies, bikes and trakks facing down squadrons of landraiders and leman russes... But it all depends who's interested and what they would want to bring along. Perhaps some eldar showing up unexpectedly to snatch some ancient artefact from the battlefield? Or an incursion of Chaos? I am sure we could concoct some kind of scenario with whatever models are available.

I would aim to supply the terrain, and 1000 or so points of orks.

What do people think? Is this do-able?

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Re: Giant 40k vehicle battle

If I can make it this year I’m in.

1 Rogue Trader Era Lane Raider
3 Rogue Trader Era Predators
1 Rogue Trader Era Whirlwind
1 Rogue Trader Era Dreadnought
1 Rogue Trader Era Land Speeder
Lots of Rhinos

Personally I’d say lose the infantry... multiple vehicles will be complicated enough using second edition rules
For retro sci-fi action visit my Oldhammer 40k Blog:

http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Re: Giant 40k vehicle battle

Cool, that's a great bundle of vehicles there!

I hear you on the infantry. I thought if someone hasn't got quite enough vehicles, to allow maybe a squad to bump numbers. The idea is definitely to prioritise vehicles though: a smaller battle with only vehicles would definitely be smoother than a larger one that also includes infantry.

Depending on the narrative we concoct we could include the odd few foot troops as objective holders/targets or something - perhaps some key person and a retinue holed up in a bunker sort of thing.

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2020