Temple of Doom

Gelmir

Gelmir":3r5dtx2i said:
Starting inside the complex is intriguing, but the variable of having other parties attacking the temple poses the risk of being associated to them. Can the Amazons discriminate between invaders? Are we allowed a degree of roleplay to discuss/negotiate/swindle with the Amazons, or will it be only dungeon crawl?

Thantsants":3r5dtx2i said:
Roleplay, negotiating and definitely swindling and backstabbing is to be encouraged! Bear in mind that it is a night time raid so the majority of Amazons will be abed unless disturbed but you may find yourself under suspicion if accompanied by an Amazon and the alarm bells begin to ring - they are a fairly insular lot and don't trust incomers too much! I guess the trade off is having an insider already in the shrine and nearer to the loot (with the risks that that entails) or starting on the same foot as the parties but with a little inside knowledge of the layout of the shrine...

Then insider presence it is! Let's say our captain, which we may call Euphrosyne, is sleeping in the temple while her crew is officially waiting for her on their ship, but has agreed to reach the temple at a certain time of night.

Thantsants

She will, however, be under guard - all Amazon holy places are strictly forbidden to non-Amazons and Euphrosyne is only there under special dispensation from the High Priestess and because she is female. She'll have a couple of options - overpower/trick her guard so she can slip away and once free of her chaperone she'll have to decide whether to search out the desired High Age artefacts or sneak down to the ground floor to assist the rest of her party entering the temple silently by opening a door.

A bit of information for all players - there are three ways in to the temple at ground level. I'll randomly assign each party to a route they have taken to the shrine which will also determine which entrance they are likely to attempt to enter by. they must escape by the same route they came in (it's the only safe route they know) or in a more dire situation - steal canoes to escape by the river. I'll also dice off to see who has been delayed by the difficult terrain and low light conditions so we can have a bit of a staggered start seeing as how we have more warbands than entrances. I'm mulling over the use of grappling hooks/rope ladders should any looters be brave/reckless enough to try and gain entry by a first floor window.

This scenario takes place at the dead of night so sound is going to be very important - any sound may attract attention! There is a percentage chance attached to a range of actions that might give players away to Amazons who are awake and a reduced chance for sleeping Amazons. I'll run through these with you all on the day though.

Many of the doors in the Shrine will be locked at night but one of your party will have the lock pick skill - lock pickers will need to spend a whole movement phase picking a lock by rolling a D6 and getting under the lock's rating. Lock pickers get three successive attempts to pick a lock before further attempts become useless. Looters also have the option of breaking doors down - a somewhat noisy option however!

Torches - the shrine is lit by wall mounted torches and the scenario specifies which are lit and which are unlit. They can of course be extinguished or lit if players have suitable means of ignition. It will be easier to hide in darker places of the shrine but easier to spot guards, search rooms and generally see where you are going in well lit areas. I'm still thinking about how far models will be able to see - probably something like 3" in pitch black, 8" in partially lit areas and full line of sight in well lit areas. This will affect what your models can charge or be charged by, shoot and be shot by and whether or not they can search rooms, etc. Carrying a torch will make progress through the shrine easier but may make you more of a target!

Searching rooms - you have a choice of rapid searching or thorough searching but the room must be at least partially lit for this to be successful. Some rooms are full of cabinets, book shelves and boxes and come with a set number of turns to search. Rapid searching will halve that number but creates more noise that may be heard in adjacent rooms/floors. Some rooms are less cluttered and are more easily searched - in this case rapid searching will allow you to search the room on the same turn you enter the room while thorough searching will take until the next movement phase. Time allowing, I'll try and make up a deck of cards with the results of room searches on so that I can let each player know what they've discovered secret from the other players...

Like I say role-playing is to be encouraged and if you want your characters to perform an action that falls out of the scope of the normal rules then I'm all for GM'ing it - there'll likely be some kind of roll to see if you're successful or not with certain extra consequences for utter failure and resounding success! Extra brownie points for players who come up with names and back stories for their party of burglars :grin:

Gelmir

Great! I, for one, would like the option if the grappling hook. One question: Elves are supposed to have night vision for 20 yards. Is it possible to keep this or will it unbalance them too much?

I'm painting a warband for the event and the background will follow. This is one of the first ones:

Attachments

• IMG-20190503-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190503-WA0000.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,166

Thantsants

Ah yes - I'd forgotten about that - you could perhaps drop one member of your party to even things out a bit? Mind you the fact that you're after books and religious artefacts probably won't put you in direct conflict with other more materialistic looters! I'll have a think about the grappling hook thing and come up with some simple rules...

Looking good - look forward to seeing them in the flesh!

Gelmir

Dropping a party member seems more than fair for Night Vision.

As for the grappling hook, I am making this: I hope it survives the trip to BOYL.

Attachments

• IMG-20190507-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190507-WA0001.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,123

Golgfag1

Steve,

Is there still space for a small group of Vikings for this party, also will you want to borrow the girls?

Paul / Golgfag1

Thantsants

Ah mate - would love to have you along but I'm stretching it a bit with the number of warbands in already. By all means sweet talk the players to see if you can join one of their teams (Mainly forum chaps in the morning and Facebookers in the afternoon) but things might get a bit crowded for a suspenseful dungeon crawl if I allow any more raiders in to the shrine! There's a morning and afternoon game so a few guys you could lean on ;)

I now feel a bit of a heel in saying - yes please some extra Amazons would be very much appreciated! If you can't join a team then feel free to be my Mother Samantha and take control of the Amazons while I GM!

Golgfag1

Thantsants":jro84kqg said:
Ah mate - would love to have you along but I'm stretching it a bit with the number of warbands in already. By all means sweet talk the players to see if you can join one of their teams (Mainly forum chaps in the morning and Facebookers in the afternoon) but things might get a bit crowded for a suspenseful dungeon crawl if I allow any more raiders in to the shrine! There's a morning and afternoon game so a few guys you could lean on ;)

I now feel a bit of a heel in saying - yes please some extra Amazons would be very much appreciated! If you can't join a team then feel free to be my Mother Samantha and take control of the Amazons while I GM!

No worries Steve, I'll happily tale the part of mother! I presume you'll want me to play nice :twisted: . Which edition rules will we be useing?

Paul / Golgfag1

Gelmir

We're almost one month away from BOYL. What should we prepare, besides miniatures (my warband of four almost ready)? Should we put down stats for the warband or will you do that?

Thantsants

Tell me about it - still furiously painting stuff up for it!

Probably best if you sort the stats out for your warbands - I have the rule books but it'll run more smoothly if you have a copy of you warband's stats handy for quick reference.

Gelmir

Here e go, warband ready!

From left to right: Siwai'em Ké, Wardancer; Thalia; Euphrosine, the Captain; Sidonaer.
Will send you a PM with proposed stats, to confirm if they work.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 2019-07-06 002 Euphrosine's warband.JPG
    2019-07-06 002 Euphrosine's warband.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 936

lenihan

Love it! Beautiful work, you're going to put my sea elves to shame! The grappling hook model in particular is genius.

VanLoon

48233319822_4efc7066bd_z_d.jpg

Slann outlaw and viscous psychopath Loco Croac and his thugs journey to the Temple of Rigg.

Gelmir

lenihan":2jpp8u9h said:
Love it! Beautiful work, you're going to put my sea elves to shame! The grappling hook model in particular is genius.

Thanks! I got the idea of the grappling hook from this thread, it's a good way to make sense of a figure holding a simple rope :)
Show us your warband! It's always nice to see Sea Elves.

Gelmir

VanLoon":3cf4hchy said:
48233319822_4efc7066bd_z_d.jpg

Slann outlaw and viscous psychopath Loco Croac and his thugs journey to the Temple of Rigg.

Looking good! I like the colour scheme of the leader, it makes him look dangerous and con trasts nicely with the other members.
I must take a note not to cross paths with those Slann...

VanLoon

Thanks Gelmir. Your band looks great and I agree with lenihan, the grappling hook elf is my favourite!

Really looking forward to the game.

Thantsants

Stirling work chaps - the Elves are looking great and extra marks for the grappling hook!

Cracking work on the Slann too - I imagine licking the purple fella would not be a healthy option! :lol:

Back