WH40k Second Edition Tournament

So..... I was thinking for BOYL 2019 we could do a small tournament for second edition players.

Nothing too formal (no power gaming - this is Oldhammer after all!!)

The requirement is that all players bring a retro or retro-themed army (i.e. if someone were to make an enitre army of beakies using modern bits to look like old school marines... they wouldn’t be shunned!)

It’d be a chance for all us old school 40k players to field a small force against lots of other like minded people!

Thoughts?

I have Imperial Fists (around 2k points in 2nd ed), but I'll be expanding Chaos Daemons this year, co maybe Daemon themed army (based on the back of Chaos Codex Daemon army list) if it's legit? :)

Colonel Tytus":xahbtfu5 said:
I have Imperial Fists (around 2k points in 2nd ed), but I'll be expanding Chaos Daemons this year, co maybe Daemon themed army (based on the back of Chaos Codex Daemon army list) if it's legit? :)

Both sound great to me!!

makhachkala

Count me in. I have lots of 2e and older orks. Any thoughts on a points limit?

I had an idea of making some old style ork terrain for next year too - the mud/plaster buildings with glyphs on, green blobs of polystyrene with red cocktail sticks in for jungle plants, etc etc. so if lots of people are up for this it will help motivate me to actually get it done!

Also, anyone with old orks burning holes in their pockets please PM if you want to sell as I'm always after more...

I’m still thinking about a points limit; though I’m open to suggestions. I want it to be big enough people can bring some fun units, but also at a sensible limit where games won’t take hours to play. From my experience of second edition of you go too large it gets a bit clunky!!

makhachkala

What is the feeling about using wholly modern models? I've a friend who's interested in bringing some imperial guard but it would be all more recent cadians and the later tweaked leman Russ shape etc.

Are they painted? DO they look good? If so, bring them. Anything you play 2nd ed with is automatically oldschool, as its the rules that are Oldhammer.

DO we have a points value yet?

makhachkala":27lzsqxj said:
What is the feeling about using wholly modern models? I've a friend who's interested in bringing some imperial guard but it would be all more recent cadians and the later tweaked leman Russ shape etc.

I say, bring them on! new or old, does not matter - the more the merrier:)

as for points - I think no more than 1500 points. if there were only Space Marines we could play 2000 points - but with orks and imperial guard, the number of models makes the games a bit too long. so, if we keep something between 1000-1500 we should be fine, and finish the whole thing during the weekend.

makhachkala

>Are they painted? DO they look good?
Yes and yes! Hopefully this will give us another entrant.

I had a think about points too. I last played 2e a LONG time ago and remember our 2000 point games taking literally all day. I rather fear that even 1500 might be too many (would be nice to keep time aside for other games in the weekend) and would suggest 1000pts or even fewer, given how many orks I expect to field. It would also depend what time limit, if any, were set for games, how many entrants and therefore how many games we each play etc.

All that said I am a recent returnee to wargaming and have no experience in tournaments or any recent experience playing 2e. I'm aiming to get some games played in the next few weeks (including against the aforementioned imperial guard), so could report how we get on with two troop-heavy armies, if that will be useful.

Norse

I concur that 1000 point games would be best if you want to finish them and still get to enjoy some of the rest of the weekend. Maybe even lower, depending on how much of the weekend you want dedicated to the tournament.

I was doing an army list yesterday. My oh my the chaos army book sure is idiosyncratic. Like, Chaos bikers cant have a mark of chaos, nor can they have bolt guns, but they can all have power fists! Terminators can have the mark, but normal marines cant, nor can the veterans, I cant see why not. And the leader HAS to be a 91 point chaos lord!

I see that 2 shooty armies would make for a normal paced game....but anything with combat slows everything right down! SO can we get a ruling on how many points please?

I'd vote for 1000 points. that would provide quick but fun battles... more points, especially for mass models armies like Orks or IG would make the games a bit too long /lot of minis to push/.

and I think I will go with Daemon army list. fun army, not very competitive. that's the way I like it:)

makhachkala

I scribbled up a 1000 point ork list last night aiming for variety and flavour - a couple of mobs, 5 characters and 5 support items makes about 50 models. I think to make a force that can include some variety and get that feeling of being 'proper', 1000 seems like the right size. BUT... I reckon I will be lucky to finish a game with them in under 2 hours.

I count 5 definite entrants and one unclear (@norse, not sure if you were commenting in general or planning to bring some troops?) so if we say 5 for sure, if were to play each other once that's already 8+ hours and a fair chunk of the weekend booked up. That's about the maximum I'd like to dedicate to any one thing, and leave the rest of my time for other things/mooching about. Not sure what others feel on that of course.

So perhaps the decision to be made is the tournament format? There might be ways to arrange it so fewer games are played, especially if more people want to participate, although I don't have any experience with that kind of thing.

my 2p's worth!

So I’ve been playtesting with my mates. Army dependant 1000 Points still can take up to three hours (horde vs horde armies are emotional). Whilst I’m happy to say 1000 if people want the opportunity to play more games maybe 750 would be better. Thoughts from the floor please!

Back