BOYL 2019 - Realms of Chaos Sandbox

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2019, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Re: BOYL 2019 - Realms of Chaos Sandbox

For the maze idea I'm thinking a nice smooth surface for the tiles to move so bubbling might be difficult.

For a khorne feature though I rather like the idea of blood lakes possibly being fed by a giant floating chalice or stone zardoz style head spewing blood from nowhere. Adding actual flowing liquid was tempting but you end up needing electrics and suitably viscous fluids could be hard on pumps so overheating becomes an issue let alone the mess and risk of provoking a wasp frenzy.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:36 pm

DOing some "flow animation" effects with LEDs from xmas lights might be feasable? Lava would probably work well, so having a bunch of lights "flow" under a painted perspex top?

As for cool idea of tiles I wonder if I might make a practical suggestion? Considering that the board is layed out as a for example 5 x 10 section, all that needs to be there is the grid on the table. Then the scenery provider simply draws a map of the layout of their square. Builders can then either bring a 1 x 1 square or else a bunch of scatter scenery/objective that is layed out as shown on thier drawing? Randomly determine each square when needed from a list of pre determined options.

As i suggested before Id love to play the narrative as inside praague during the incursion described through the Lost and the Damned. SO the board would be city streets. THe base board could be quite simple, maybe a grid of roads or markings. The "table of tile squares" could include alot of "just basic fantasy cityscape" while many are the chaos ones provided by participants, others might be blank. The advantage here is that many of the participants already have a load of cool city buildings.

I just make this suggestion about the scenery to be practical. As has been said, even 5 x 10 is 50 tiles! But the idea of a shifting chaos maze table is really awesome and inspiring. The seige of Praague really fits well with the realm of chaos narrative and art work, as this is supposedly what was happening during the seige, as the realm of chaos warped in and out. The table could then manifest Miller-esque grotesques from the Slaves to Darkness or brey stones, non-euclidian geometry, thrones of skulls, off magical shrines etc etc. ANd of course there were loads of chaos warbands drawn to the city who fought inside.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm not so taken with the city idea as I suspect it will end up looking like a city with weird bits rather than the total weirdness that the realms of chaos could bring.

I wonder though if we need to stop for a moment, entertaining as this discussion is, for a bit of a reality check. As has been pointed out it is a large area to cover and even if we go for terrain pieces rather than tiles do we have enough participants to do this? If I recall the original plan was to have a table that would change through the weekend so to keep to that we're going to need a lot of stuff. What square footage is everyone willing to commit to providing?

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 pm

The idea is the Realm of Chaos. Praague is a good idea for another time.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:58 pm

It's early days yet and I'm hoping for more of a buy in as we go, time will tell.

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 am

Snickit wrote:It's early days yet and I'm hoping for more of a buy in as we go, time will tell.

It always does. Fingers crossed for more interest.

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am

I can pledge 4 square feet of chaos forest. Should manage that before next year.

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:08 pm

I dont have much fantasy scenery anyway but Im happy to make a weird shrine thing, so a single 1x1
PreviousNext

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2019