BOYL 2019 - Realms of Chaos Sandbox

Snickit

Leromides":2ulhow0d said:
I think we should just let people take what they think looks cool as a starting war band. We're all grown ups and if players choose to try and give themselves some kind of advantage to crush all before them then they have come to the wrong event. After all the idea of trying to enforce a strict set of rules on chaos is surely missing the point. I would rather see some beautifully presented minis than worry about whether they really rolled this or that particular bonus honestly. I say let people use whichever version of the rules they are most comfortable with or simply pick what seems right from their collections.

Totally agree, if anyone ends up being a c*** with their Warband then we all gang up to duff their champion up!!!!!

I'll try and get a few games in before BOYL so my a Champion isn't totally green but where is the fun in smashing everyone easily? Close games are always more fun!

Golgfag1

Whilst we're discussing forming Warbands, are larger creatures (Minotaurs and the like :o :shock: :o ) able to join-in, as the rules in TLatD seem fairly straight forward?

Paul/Golgfag1

Snickit

Absolutely, I'm considering a Beastman or Minotaur Warband myself.

On the subject of Minotaurs, as pictures in Slaves to Darkness show Minotaurs on 40mm bases instead of the 25mm BOB states I'm happy enough to assume that as the Minotaur mini's increased in bulk 40mm became the accepted, however, as we're Oldhammer and I'm all about being inclusive too I'd say use which ever size you prefer/already have based up.

Erny

From what I remember beastman warbands have a tendancy to be quite over powered, I guess just check what you roll up and think over if its too powerful.

I think he change over to 40mm bases coincides with the release of the bigger Minotaurs that were pushed out at the same time as the minitaur warbands sneak peek in white dwarf, so I had always assumed realmof chaos minotaurs should be on 40mm?

Anyway, Im up for more characterful warbands. Im not sure Ill be able to get any games of this in before nect year (!) but am for sure making a warband for it. I do really like the random nature of the whole process though. Maybe if we can give our champions, say upto 3 rewards so as we can "pre-develop" them would be cool?

Fimm McCool

I still like the labyrinth-tile idea where a player slides a new tile into a row or column each turn, displacing those fighting in the realm of chaos. :)

Leromides

Fimm McCool":3etzlde7 said:
I still like the labyrinth-tile idea where a player slides a new tile into a row or column each turn, displacing those fighting in the realm of chaos. :)

I've been working on this one. At the moment I'm thinking of 9" square tiles with 1"wide raised maze pathway. Between the pathways is an iridescent goo that will swallow anything that falls in and can grasp with flailing tentacles at anything that tries to jump between. Each tile has one side with no exit, one with one, one with two and one with three. The tiles are arranged in a three by three square so nine in total but the central square is different from the rest. The middle of the maze is a statue or tower of Tzeentch with an entrance on one side. On each side of the maze will be a stairway that rises level with the pathways so that up to four warbands at a time may launch their attempts to get to the centrepiece. As each warband takes their turn they may insert a new tile either before or after their move. The tile can be inserted at either end of a row or column on either side of the middle tile. The middle doesn't move but the tower rotates with the direction of the row or column moving past it. The old tile pushed out the end of the row or column is given to the next player to use in their turn. It is imagined that the tile actually sinks into the goo so anyone unlucky to be on it gets a chance to leap for safety. The whole maze is in this lake of goo so the whole piece will take up an area 3' square. What do you think?

Fimm McCool

bog-of-eternal-stench-gif.gif

Love it. One way leads to the castle at the centre of the labyrinth and the other leads to (da da da dum) certain death (oooh....)

Leromides

For the maze idea I'm thinking a nice smooth surface for the tiles to move so bubbling might be difficult.

For a khorne feature though I rather like the idea of blood lakes possibly being fed by a giant floating chalice or stone zardoz style head spewing blood from nowhere. Adding actual flowing liquid was tempting but you end up needing electrics and suitably viscous fluids could be hard on pumps so overheating becomes an issue let alone the mess and risk of provoking a wasp frenzy.

DOing some "flow animation" effects with LEDs from xmas lights might be feasable? Lava would probably work well, so having a bunch of lights "flow" under a painted perspex top?

As for cool idea of tiles I wonder if I might make a practical suggestion? Considering that the board is layed out as a for example 5 x 10 section, all that needs to be there is the grid on the table. Then the scenery provider simply draws a map of the layout of their square. Builders can then either bring a 1 x 1 square or else a bunch of scatter scenery/objective that is layed out as shown on thier drawing? Randomly determine each square when needed from a list of pre determined options.

As i suggested before Id love to play the narrative as inside praague during the incursion described through the Lost and the Damned. SO the board would be city streets. THe base board could be quite simple, maybe a grid of roads or markings. The "table of tile squares" could include alot of "just basic fantasy cityscape" while many are the chaos ones provided by participants, others might be blank. The advantage here is that many of the participants already have a load of cool city buildings.

I just make this suggestion about the scenery to be practical. As has been said, even 5 x 10 is 50 tiles! But the idea of a shifting chaos maze table is really awesome and inspiring. The seige of Praague really fits well with the realm of chaos narrative and art work, as this is supposedly what was happening during the seige, as the realm of chaos warped in and out. The table could then manifest Miller-esque grotesques from the Slaves to Darkness or brey stones, non-euclidian geometry, thrones of skulls, off magical shrines etc etc. ANd of course there were loads of chaos warbands drawn to the city who fought inside.

Leromides

I'm not so taken with the city idea as I suspect it will end up looking like a city with weird bits rather than the total weirdness that the realms of chaos could bring.

I wonder though if we need to stop for a moment, entertaining as this discussion is, for a bit of a reality check. As has been pointed out it is a large area to cover and even if we go for terrain pieces rather than tiles do we have enough participants to do this? If I recall the original plan was to have a table that would change through the weekend so to keep to that we're going to need a lot of stuff. What square footage is everyone willing to commit to providing?

Back