Series of complete newbie questions

Genghis

Hi, I've just joined this forum in order to find out about the whole BOYL malarkey. I've seen a few post-event reports from last year and it looks like a fun event to come along to, but I have a whole series of newbie questions. Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere, but a quick look around this bit of the forum and the main website didn't turn up anything.

Firstly, I gather that the booking process is still at the stage of people booking tables, on which to run games. Once that is set, do people book places on specific games to cover the time they'll be at the event?

Generally, how many of the games tend to require specific figures/groups of figures to participate? I model & paint quite slowly, so could do some figures for a specific game, but not many.

Is the Fri all day, or just the evening? (Trying to work out whether I need to book leave, or just travel up after lunch on the Fri.)

Given that the social aspect seems to be a pretty key part of this, is there a particular hotel people tend to stay at?

Finally, if anyone has any useful pointers for a 1st timer at BOYL, any tips would be gratefully received.

weazil

Hi Genghis

Welcome to the forum (and hopefully, BOYL!) .

You are correct - at this stage, the booking is all about getting tables booked. Most of them are gone now. I'm hoping to get the games themselves up this week Real life has been an absolute sod this year, so that's aspirational, but I hope to get it done.

That said, if you're seeing games here on the forum that you're interested in, go ahead and arrange to get in on them here - this forum is the main area where most of the participation games are discussed. The BOYL website will refer to these forums for details (y'know, when I put the games up...).

There are very few games that expressly require you to have your own figures. I would dare to say that nowadays, none do - there are so many figures / armies / factions available that between the organisers and the good will of the attendees, you'll have something to play with. Typically, its the very rare items or highly custom items that will require your own models - things like Space Fleet or games with a certain modelling theme (e.g. Fallout). Simply put, you are 99% likely to push some figures around, even if they're not your own.

Ostensibly, Friday is open all day. Typically, however, most people travel on the Friday, so some (like myself) will travel in the morning and start playing / setting up in the afternoon, and others will start on the Saturday. Friday is typically very 'loose' - but Foundry certainly don't mind if you get there in the morning. Some of the bigger games are set up on the Friday (or even earlier), so that's also interesting to watch and participate in.

The hotel of choice is typically the Deincourt Hotel (Best Western), but Newark is small enough that the other hotels and B&Bs are all close enough to get to. Many people also organise AirBnB or similar to reduce cost (maximise fun?).

I can't imagine what tips there might be for BOYL - the gaming / talking ration is about 1:2, and the rules / make-shit-up ratio is about 1:10, if that helps?
1!
Anyway, looking forward to meeting you - see you there!

Leromides

What Weazil says plus.

The Best Western Deincourt has traditionally been the main hotel but in recent years other places have been growing in popularity and you are certain to hear plans being made to meet up in Newark and possibly elsewhere that you will no doubt be welcome to join in. A jungle meat kebab is a particular treat.

As for tips I would suggest not booking into a game in every session as you will probably want some time just to look around and chat. I have always found everyone to be exceptionally friendly. It's the most relaxed gaming event I've been to. Comfy shoes for spending a lot of time standing on hard surfaces are a must and it's probably good to take plenty change for drinks and snacks. Sunscreen can be a good idea as well if we are blessed with the weather as you can find yourself playing outside. If you are into figure trading that does go on but it's usually done discretely away from Foundry as after all they are a figure selling business.

Genghis

Thank-you for the answers & pointers. It looks like the Best Western is full that weekend but, as you say, Newark is small, so I'll look at other nearby options.

See you there.

Skarsnik

Genghis":100b68p2 said:
Thank-you for the answers & pointers. It looks like the Best Western is full that weekend but, as you say, Newark is small, so I'll look at other nearby options.

See you there.

Another popular choice is Millgate House. Very close to our usual evening drinking venue, so convenient for the stagger back to your room.

Genghis

I plumped for the Beaumond Cross Inn in the end, but as Weazil said, Newark is small enough that it doesn't really matter.

Snickit

Mmmmmmmnnnnn jungle meat kebabs....................

I still remember discovering those and everyone's disbelief so we went back the next night with a bigger group, been a traditional aspect ever since

Norse

It should be pointed out that the jungle meat kebabs don't contain actual jungle meat. It's just the name of the place. I was simultaneously disappointed and relieved to discover this. It is most excellent though.

Back