Dungeons and Dragons at BOYL

Norse

Would there be any interest in some old school Dungeons and Dragons, probably in the Saturday evening slot?

For the GW connection I am thinking of running either one of the following:

Option a) Dungeons of the Ground Goblins, a promotional dungeon created by Steve Jackson. It featured in some early magazine articles and promotional flyers, and at some point seems to have been slipped into some of the early box sets sold in the UK. This was before the first Basic set or Advanced D&D, so would be run with the original rules. For ease I would not be using the Greyhawk etc expansions or Chainmail, and using a strict word as written interpretation (which has some unusual effects). It is not a particularly exciting dungeon, and requires some additional work to finish it off - but it does have the distinction of being the first scenario Games Workshop produced for anything.

Option b) Albie Fiore's The Lichway. White Dwarf's first Dungeons and Dragons scenario. A much more interesting dungeon, but may not be finished in the limited time slot available - though as this is very much a looting expedition I don't think that matters overmuch. This would be run with either the first Basic set of rules written by Holmes, or first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. As well as being the first full scenario for anything published by Games Workshop, it also has the distinction of (supposedly) being the first scenario that Terry Pratchett played.

So, is there any interest in either of these options? Let me know and I'll get something booked.

Norse

Excellent! Will see you then then.

From the discussions on Facebook we are going for option A; Dungeons of the Ground Goblins. We even have 70's lead coming along, some 70's dice and we'll even be using green chalkboard paper for the dungeon map just like Holmes did.

Norse

Well, he used chalboard paint. But I don't think the Foundry would be happy with me painting their tables green.

Golgfag1

Folowing the Rigg's shrine game - this might be light relief, before a night on the town :lol: , put me down as a player, if, all the places haven't been bagged by the Facebook group. :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

Norse

There's 3 people interested on the Facebook group. Geoff indicated an interest as well. I haven't had a chance to speak to Harry about it but he may be up for it. But these old dungeons were built with large parties in mind. If we get more than about 8 players I might have to have a bit of a think, but up to that no worries.

Zoglet

I would like to join this (and posted under my 'real' name on your facebook OH group thread). Let me know if you'd like me to bring some dungeon tiles and / or figures.

Norse

All are welcome! For the dungeon we'll be doing green chalkboard and white chalk just like Holmes used to. I need to double check that everything's okay, but hopefully someone is supplying a bunch of 70's lead. But bringing along a character figure (of any vintage) would be appreciated. And if anyone has any 70's d20's or d6's that would be great too.

Norse

Sadly I'm going to have to cancel the original D&D game for BOYL this year. Unfortunately we are no longer going to have access to the lead to make it a reality, but I will try and reschedule it for next year.

My Laserburn and Strontium Dog Inquisitor games will still be running as planned.

weazil

Hi Norse - interesting - its not like we struggle to access old lead at BOYL? How special is this lead? ;P

Golgfag1

weazil":34khmjvg said:
Hi Norse - interesting - its not like we struggle to access old lead at BOYL? How special is this lead? ;P

Hi Norse, Tell us what you're after and I'm sure someone on the Forum can help?

Paul/Golgfag1

Norse

It was pretty special lead. Original 70's stuff, mythic earth and all sorts. Maybe I could cobble stuff together from people to play it, but it won't be quite the same.

This is the list:

2 Giant Spiders
5 Berserkers (including a leader)
10 Gnolls
2 Gorgons (D&D Gorgons are armoured bulls, could just use farmyard toys for this)
A janitor/caretaker
30 Goblins (smaller the better with the sheer number of them)
4 zombies
6 giant rats
1 ghoul
15 orcs

Plus enough adventurer figures for a dozen players.

Golgfag1

I can help with the green skins as I'm bringing some of mine for the weekend, the other stuff can't really help with, sorry,

Paul/Golgfag1

Norse

I think it's too late in the day now to be trying to arrange the figures, and it won't be the same without the collection that was going to be there. So I'll reschedule for next year. If people do still want some D&D I could start running scenarios from Best of White Dwarf volume 1. First scenario is Hall of Tizun Thane, using either Holmes (blue book) Basic or 1st edition Advanced D&D.

Back