Chariot Racing?

Golgfag1

Norse":jelrn9ly said:
What sort of track length are you thinking of Paul? Moving at only one or two spaces a turn means the game is likely to drag on a bit.

Your forgetting reserve moves Chris, so, the vehicles will be moving between 8 to 16 inches per turn, more, if the players take a wider line as the sectors will be slightly larger to accommodate the corners. As for track length - not sure yet, but would estimate inside line, about ten to twelve feet. So, minimum number of turns to complete a circuit eight; so, fifteen to twenty minutes per turn plus five more for the unknowns and we're looking at just over three hours for a gentle game with say four or more players. I can see where your coming from, but these are rough calculation based upon estimates, which can be adjusted to suit a shorter game if, required?

Paul / Golgfag1

Norse

Ah, so you're on about using the rules from Warhammer then, essentially, with a bit of randomness on movement. How about you consider ignoring squares entirely then. Simply move them as per the Warhammer rules, but with the option to attempt to increase your move at the risk of tiring the horses? A bit of risk/reward in the movement process.

Which edition are you thinking of? 2nd? I seem to recall it having more interesting chariots.

Golgfag1

Norse":3gxs29lx said:
Ah, so you're on about using the rules from Warhammer then, essentially, with a bit of randomness on movement. How about you consider ignoring squares entirely then. Simply move them as per the Warhammer rules, but with the option to attempt to increase your move at the risk of tiring the horses? A bit of risk/reward in the movement process.

Which edition are you thinking of? 2nd? I seem to recall it having more interesting chariots.

Most of those attending have a reasonable idea of how Warhammer works, so why re-invent the wheel, just tweak it a bit to make the movement around the track a little easier and thus easier to monitor by the GM. As for which edition, I'm happy to run with the hounds on that one - but have to admit I've played less fourth & fifth, than the others. 8-)

Quite like the idea of risk and reward on movement if, you double move or don't, will contemplate that one. :twisted:

Paul / Golgfag1

Fimm McCool

Paul, what size track would you need? Wondering if we could fit this into the arena at Heldenhofen... see BOYL 2017: A Tale of Two Cities for my idea.

Golgfag1

Fimm McCool":19faqvpk said:
Paul, what size track would you need? Wondering if we could fit this into the arena at Heldenhofen... see BOYL 2017: A Tale of Two Cities for my idea.

Nice idea Fimm, 8-) I was contemplating 6x4, which would take up about a quarter of one of the large tables, I'll get hold of a suitable cloth this week and draw out the track - you can assessand if it's appropriate or not, it can always be changed. :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Fimm McCool

It would be too large for an arena within the city, but I could arrange for there to be a suitable network of streets "running of the bulls" style. Other games would just have to watch out whilst the chariots crashed through!

Fimm McCool

Well if the city fills one of the director's tables that's, what? 12'x6' at the widest point? At least 4'x4' at one end would have to be outskirts so a 6'x4' stadium doesn't leave a whole lot of space for city around it.

Golgfag1

Fimm McCool":142lv5bt said:
It would be too large for an arena within the city, but I could arrange for there to be a suitable network of streets "running of the bulls" style. Other games would just have to watch out whilst the chariots crashed through!

OK, let's run it has illegal chariot race 8-) - through the streets of the city :o :shock: :o ; drivers, citizens, city watch and anything else takes their chance ;) when the race runs its course from point A to point B and back again, by any route possible! :lol: :evil: :lol: :twisted:

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

Fimm,

This was originally an easy game for either Friday afternoon or Sunday morning, which I think I'd still run with - if, anybody then wants to take part in a street racing during Saturday through your city-scape, their welcome to borrow the kit ?

I may even take a turn myself depending upon whatever else I'm doing! 8-)

What edition of the rules would you want people to run with on Saturday? :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Fimm McCool

The city should be set up on Friday afternoon, and still there on Sunday... provided there's enough interest for it to happen at all. Possibility registered, let's see what develops.

Harry

Golgfag1":njxrlv2w said:
Fimm McCool":njxrlv2w said:

OK, let's run it has illegal chariot race 8-) - through the streets of the city :o :shock: :o ; drivers, citizens, city watch and anything else takes their chance ;) when the race runs its course from point A to point B and back again, by any route possible! :lol: :evil: :lol: :twisted:

Paul / Golgfag1
I love the sound of this.
I am well up for this.
I shall start building chariots now. :grin:

My vote would be Sunday ... the Deathrace 40K game was brilliant as a Sunday game .... not to tricky after a late night.

Harry

So I have been pondering this over night.
What is your definition of "Chariot"?
I mean The High Elves and Wood Elves are fine ... they have horse Chariots but will the following be allowed to enter the big race:

Empire: Steam Tank
Empire: war wagon
Dwarf: Steam powered Juggernaught.
Halfling: Pig Cart???

and what about other races? ... Is it a bit like BloodBowl where the normal animosity is forgotten for the day of the big race? .....

Chaos: chariots
Orc: Boar Carts
Goblin: Wolf chariots
Dark Elf: cold one chariots
Undead plague: carts
Vampire: black coach
Tomb Kings: chariots
Skaven: Doom wheel ... or other contraption?

Can they all enter? .... Or is this a different race?

Golgfag1

Another purchase from Salute was piece of felt which I've now marked up with a track for a 6 by 4 table, more to do will post later

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• race track.JPG
    race track.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,796

Golgfag1

Right, I\m now in a position to start drawing this thing together for a 'friendly' chariot race on Friday afternoon / Sunday morning.

None to the rule sets appear to cover all the bases so it'll more than likely be an amalgamation of all those I have to hand! So be warned - All you gave to do is turn up with a chariot worth no more than two hundred points inclusive of all characters & items. Some models will be available to borrow on the day - standard tariffs apply :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• Coldone chariots 9.JPG
    Coldone chariots 9.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,687
Back