Smugglers wanted!

Fimm McCool

19989592_10155306592092279_1469962129980559355_n.jpg

Rumour has it that the ship Jade Trident will be docking in Heldenhofen on Saturday morning and is looking for some assistance in 'negotiating' with the customs officials over its cargo. It is known that a reward will be offered for any warband which is able to assist in delivering a quantity of 'precious materials' (no questions asked) to an address in the docklands. Volunteers should make themselves known to Captain Nina Phinter at the Dropped Drum Tavern on Friday evening (or by replying on the thread below!).

What's this then?
A small warband game to be played using Mordheim rules in the docks area of Heldenhofen on Saturday morning.

How does it work?
Customs guards will be patrolling the docks in small groups. The warbands' task is to get as much of the ships' cargo from the quayside to the secret location in the warehouse district as possible, by any means possible. Stealth, bribery and outright violence are all acceptable means.

What will I need?
A handful of models. Anything from a single miniature to a full Mordheim warband is possible and I will have plenty of figures that can be drafted in if you don't have time or space to bring something along. I'll also have rosters and a few pre-generated characters on standby.

When is it running?
It will be a drop-in-drop out from whenever people wake up until about noon.

How do I win?
The more cargo your warband is able to deliver the higher your score. If your warband are arrested or your cargo confiscated they will be eliminated from the game and the entire score lost (but you can stage a daring rescue to free them from the gaol, raid the excise house to recover the goods and carry on- or just build a new warband). It is absolutely ok to attack other warbands in an attempt to take over their deliveries! If you choose to run off with the goods rather than delivering them you will score nothing, but the goods may fetch a decent amount in the local markets. Of course, we won't be held responsible when the captain or mysterious recipient send agents to track you down...

Norse

Master Garbadoc Chubb, renowned halfling marzipan smuggler, is ready to take part. He's a sneaky little hobbit with no friends and bad teeth. Granted, the cargo might be larger than he is...

i'll be at BOYL with my Altdorf lawful bunch of Emperor followers and I don't think they will be happy with the idea to smuggle game (even if I ask them nicley)....

so, I've been thinking... maybe I could use them as some kind of special anti-smuggling task force sent from the capital to deal with this matter. after all smuggling goods is avoiding custom taxes. and avoiding taxes is nothing more than stealing form the Emperor himself.

so my band will not smuggle but try to stop some of the smugglers.

do you think it's a good idea?

Fimm McCool

@Colonel Tytus: I'll have several squads of the local customs militia running after the smugglers so probably best not to give them any more help. Of course you're welcome to just stick your warband in town and start playing- the local customs officials may not take too kindly to their patch being trod upon. ;)

so, local force are not willing to cooperate with Imperial Secret Service. we will launch our own operation to take over smuggled goods with or without Heldenhofen permission...

...or in the other words - I will gladly join in smuggling game:)

Fimm McCool

Excellent! Heldenhofen became the prosperous place it is by allowing ships on their way to 'official' ports to unload their most sensitive goods for transport by cart- thus avoiding customs duty. These days Heldenhofen sends taxes to the throne and has Imperial excise officers stationed there, but allegations of corruption are always rife.

Golgfag1

Hi Fimm,

Not sure exactly how this will fit into my "planned "weekend, But I'm bringing a suitable band to liberate the a-fore mentioned goods, if the opportunity arises! 8-)

Paul / Golgfag1

Snickit

Golgfag1":2pdy3abx said:
Hi Fimm,

Not sure exactly how this will fit into my "planned "weekend, But I'm bringing a suitable band to liberate the a-fore mentioned goods, if the opportunity arises! 8-)

Paul / Golgfag1

Back on your feet then Paul? Glad to hear it, I owe you a beer from last year!!!!

See you there

Fimm McCool

Excellent stuff. The more the merrier.

Legiocustodes":2wt13x24 said:
I'm in with some random historical models!! Don't know the rules.... is that an issue??
Shouldn't think so. It's Necromunda​ with fantasy models if that helps? Should be able to find a PDF or at least a warband generator online.

Ogg

So it looks like I MIGHT have a few hours at the foundry Sat morning before my gaming buddy arrives and this looks like a lot of fun!

Would a gnomish warband be possible with the mordheim rules? (embarrassingly i have never actually played before, but i am thinking counts as goblins might be an option? )

I am thinking something along the lines of:

A recent and highly profitable trend in the city has seen the increasing appearance of small, static humanoid statues in the more house-proud residents gardens, often posed whimsically they are particularly popular with local children due to their mad swivelling eyes and humorous appearance. Little do people realise it is not magic that makes the eyes move but magic that keeps the body still, for the statues are in fact living beings magically frozen as a disreputable wizards latest business venture.
After learning the truth about their missing loved ones fate, the gnomish council has decided that such an affront to their proud race must not be tolerated and have launched a daring rescue mission. Leaving their woodland homes and stowing away aboard a ship, they have landed at the docks and must now avoid being seen as they enter the city proper, lest they are captured by the guards and sold on to their wizardly nemesis.

Let me know your thoughts ;)

Fimm McCool

Your gnomes are very welcome. There's a good Mordheim site which has all the warband rosters on it- I was looking earlier but forget the name. Am I right in thinking your gnomes wouldn't be doing the smuggling per se, just wading into the chaos? Maybe a good idea to find a mercenary band to fight, one hired to protect the sacred lawn ornaments perhaps?

Ogg

I had originally envisaged the gnomes essentially smuggling themselves into the city but having re read the OP it seems you are aiming for something a little more complex than a 'get your warband from point a to point b' style game so I figure it would probably work better if I bring a band of shifty human smuggler types instead, anyhow I look forward to it!

lenihan

This sounds like the kind of opportunity the Poison Dwarf and the children of stench have been looking for. We shall present ourselves at the appropriate hour.

Ringbeard

Thanks so much for organising this, was really great fun and the board looked absolutely amazing.

I also have to add that your Heroquest jacket patch was the most badass thing I've ever seen.

Fimm McCool

You're welcome, thanks all for coming and playing with your eclectic warbands! The patch? Well, it's pretty nerdy but I like it. ;)

Back