Giant, nay Epic WHFRP sandbox table.

Erny

Just a notion at present but lets say this works to plan and people are interested:

One of the big board room tables stuffed with scenery, I'm thinking a section of a walled city to include a tavern/ thieves area, at least one rich or magical abode to be plundered, perhaps a cemetery or dock, sewers at a push. Outside the walls is a fair, tents and attractions to tempt the adventurous (perhaps a collection of mutants to gawp at, including a three legged goblin). Perhaps we could even roll WPs giant slaying challenge in as the highlight of the fair, if he's interested of course. Most of the table is countryside, a few scattered woods including bandit and or beast man camp. Some farms, a ruined temple. A section could easily be a cave complex.

We can have several background stories running, the fair, some sort of planned monster attack, something political perhaps a local war is brewing, perhaps an old enemy is on the rise again, things happen in these stories to planned time tables adapting to any PC interaction. We have a few minor events planned to happen randomly . Then we need a few games masters to run sections of the table, brief discussions to be given as PCs cross zones of control. Finally we invite people to bring between one and four painted miniatures, let us know before hand and we'll work out a detailed integration into the story, turn up on the day and we can fudge something together on the day.

Typical games may involve just getting tot he city or the fair, guarding a merchant, stealing from the guild master, uncovering a political/chaotic plot, being a road warden keeping the roads safe, being a rat catcher with an over large infestation to deal with, a priest of Morr with a problem that will not rest.....

We can go smaller, just a regular sized table sandbox but I'm aiming big as ever here. There would be lots of work to do, crafting the scenery, writing the plots and keeping things running. Should look epic though and be loads of fun to play.

Norse

Sounds great to me Erny. Happy to be one of the GM's for that, depending on timetable. I'm not involved in any large games this year, but do want to put on a couple of smaller things.

Fimm McCool

If the big dungeon bash isn't happening then I'm largely free all weekend and would love to do something like this. I have a ton of villagers I've been wanting to paint up for roleplay scenarios and this would give me a great excuse to get going on them.

EDIT- It's sounding like a fantasy version of the Helsreach game, which would allow it to run really nicely alongside.

Norse

How would you handle character Erny? WHFRP isn't the longest process ever, but it's not instant either. And I'm guessing most of our potential players probably won't have a copy of the rules to roll things up in advance. Should we just ask people to let us know what they're bringing and pre-gen appropriate character sheets for them?

Erny

The idea comes from the similar but smaller WHFRP session I ran round my brothers:

http://theleadpile.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/saturday-night-special.html

Here the characters were pregened after chatting things over, I gave each group a good number of advances, otherwise the games will be rather short or dull. So anyone really keen would discuss things with us before hand, for anyone turning up we could have a set of pregens with details left off that could be matched to what ever miniatures are brought along.

Fimm McCool

Erny":2mmwe8ta said:
The idea comes from the similar but smaller WHFRP session I ran round my brothers:

Yeah I saw that, looked great fun. :)
Might be an idea to consider using 1st Ed WFB? Norse will vouch that it runs small tabletop encounters very nicely whilst keeping a RPG vibe. Would think a WFRP character could be easily imported into WHB1?

Norse

It does indeed Fimm. Unfortunately porting characters across does not work very well - the role-playing values for first edition are quite random in scale. Also I'm guessing we'll find more GMs capable of running WHFRP than 1st edition fantasy battle. But I'm more than happy to run some 1st edition fantasy battle if Erny wants to go that way.

Erny

Combat is simple, you just have to remember how many hits below zero you have gone to roll on the right critical table. It was loads of fun reading out the grizzly ends to the players though they do get repetitive in the end, perhaps some alternatives are the way to go.

To be honest it's all simple really. Percentile dice for skills + or - modifiers to taste. Maybe it's because I played it till the cows came home as a kid but it just feels really obvious to me.

Norse

Yeah, th WHFRP combat system is nice and quick, and the critical hits are fun. It's a big old book, but it's not complicated. There's just lots and lots and lots of stuff in it.

Norse

Can always break it out one Friday if you want to give it a try Fimm. I could do with running through it again, been more than a few years. Holy crap, over a decade I've just realised.

Golgfag1

Norse":29v4sfd0 said:
Can always break it out one Friday if you want to give it a try Fimm. I could do with running through it again, been more than a few years. Holy crap, over a decade I've just realised.

Welcome to my world :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Fimm McCool

Norse":gry7wk1n said:

I do love it, even if I've never played. :)

Norse

Just don't read the Oldenhaller Contract adventure in it! If I run anything it'll probably have to be that as I'm unlikely to get the time to write an adventure for it. Although I guess there are plenty of other adventures available on the internet that might be a little shorter and more suitable for a one-shot.

Snickit

Golgfag1":3uan0nkt said:
Snickit":3uan0nkt said:
I like this but one question Erny, is this replacing the Battle of Finnuval plain?

Please, please, please?
In hope
Paul / Golgfag1

If the appetite isn't there for Finnuval then I have no issues panning it, just need to know so I don't break my neck painting High Elves :lol:

Back