What's the deal with BOYL?

Anonymous

Hi,
Title says it all really, what's the deal?
I used to go to wargames events in the dim and distant past before the kids came along and I had money in my wallet not just photographs, The kids are older now so I can escape for a bit and I would quite like to get back into a scene.
I know BOYL is at Foundry on the last weekend in July, after that in gets a bit hazy.
Do you need a ticket?
What time do the sessions start and what time do they finish?
Do you just turn up with the toys and wing it?
Do you post here for opponents and arrange your own games or is anything "officially" organized?
Are there tournaments and competitions?
Do you need to bring genuine rule books etc or are they available?
What about catering? is food laid on or do you bring your own?
What happens when the venue closes? Back to the digs for running repairs and plan the next days action or retire to the nearest hostelry for refreshments and after action punditry?
The Foundry venue is a bit remote, is there transport laid on to and from the digs?
What about the accommodation? sort it for your self or is somewhere block booked?
What about non gaming spouses or partners are they encouraged to attend and is there anything for them to do as the Foundry venue is a bit remote
I guess that some of you BOYL vets will find some of these questions obvious and answers are possibly available somewhere on this site, but I haven't found them so I would appreciate some answers as there's nothing on the Foundry website yet and I would need to make plans. A pdf pack like you used to get for events back in the day would be useful and if one is not already available someone could consider producing one.
Thanks

Right, let's try and answer these questions...

Do you need a ticket?
No, nearer the time you'll be asked to register that your comingbut that's just so Fiundry know how many folk are likely to turn up looking to be fed.
What time do the sessions start and what time do they finish?
About 10ish and finish about 5 or 6

Do you just turn up with the toys and wing it?
You can do but your best bet is arranginga game before hand through the forum, you'll also see folk advertising participation games so you might want to get in on some of them.

Do you post here for opponents and arrange your own games or is anything "officially" organised?
See above

Are there tournaments and competitions
There's usually some sort of haphazard painting competition but tournaments are not our thing (man)

Do you need to bring genuine rule books etc or are they available?
There's nothing supplied but you can bet there will be dozens of copies being flicked through over the weekend

What about catering? is food laid on or do you bring your own?
Food and beverages are available all weekend

What happens when the venue closes? Back to the digs for running repairs and plan the next days action or retire to the nearest hostelry for refreshments and after action punditry?
Back to dogs for bevy and food

The Foundry venue is a bit remote, is there transport laid on to and from the digs?
Nope, but there will be folk with cars so make some friends!

What about the accommodation? sort it for your self or is somewhere block booked?
Mostly sort it yourself but there mAy be some block bookings that you can join in on advertised on here of course

What about non gaming spouses or partners are they encouraged to attend and is there anything for them to do as the Foundry venue is a bit remote
Not a lot for them to do but they are welcome. Pack then of to Nottingham with a credit card

I hope that helps a bit. Don't imagine this is going to be super organised. It's a bunch of blokes in a tent playing with toy soldiers. It's great!

Golgfag1

Pretty much what Whiskey Priest said,

Basically you chat on the forum / Facebook group and join-in with stuff or invite others to join-in with stuff you think might be fun to do, you turn up with your kit and either use it yourself or let others use it, because they'll be letting you use their kit; put simply, it's a case of help others & others will help you - and you'll find by the end of the weekend you'll have enjoyed it & made a lot of new friends while doing so, now don't get me wrong - this is not all happy-clappy, you will bump heads with individuals on stuff like rules &their interpretations etc, the point is - its a game and we're all there to play the game and have fun, meet like-minded individuals and the great & the good, which is Oldhammer, and - win or lose, enjoyed the experience which is BOYL. 8-)

One point - Newark is more interesting than first appearances might suggest, well worth a wander around in the company of your nearest & dearest, and for god's sake look-up :grin: .

My two pennies worth, hope to see you there.

Paul / Golgfag1

You can bring your own food. There is a luxury spa at the end of the village Foundry is in, send you significant other there!

Me and Aidan are running some games which you are totally welcome to drop in on at any time. Bother are "bring a necromuna/inquisimunda gang" and joing us. One is friday night, an attack on a caravan in the wastes. Second is all day saturday. Please see the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9198&start=10

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, sorry for the delay in replying but I work away from home during the week and I only have my phone, so I've been following the tread but I'm not the quickest on the phone so I leave replying until I get home.
There are a few things advertised that I am interested in but I'll leave it closer to the time to sign up and and I'll keep an eye on the Foundry website
Cheers

Back