Event Mini

Please tick one of the following:

• Yes, I'd love this figure and would be willing to contribute a few pounds to making it happen

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Yes, I'd be interested in this figure if he was free

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Yes, I'd like this figure. He should be big like Nagash and I'd pay at least a fiver for him

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I'd like an event mini, but this guy doesn't interest me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not really bothered about whether we have one or not

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Fimm McCool

Over the last few BOYLs and their overseas equivalents it has been customary to have an event exclusive miniature. I don't know if there's been talk of one this year, if it's decided please ignore this thread, but I would like to offer to sculpt this guy in honour of the Heroquest-linked BFG:

This is Morcar from the Marvel Winter Special, and I think he fits all the criteria to make a kick-arse old-school mini. If people are interested please answer the following question so I can work out the feasibility of getting him cast up.

Attachments

• MORCAR.jpg
    MORCAR.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 3,590

Zhu Bajie

what is "big like Nagash"?

99120207029_DeathLordsNagashSupremelordoftheUndead01.jpg

or

Nagash-Mini.jpg

Fimm McCool

There is only one Nagash.... actually I think even that might be too big for the event mini because it would cost a significant amount in metal and mould space, but think 50-60mm

Erny

One of the ideas behind the rise of Morcar game is that Nagash was but a dream, the end times never happened. For twenty five years Morcar has been forgotten, as he planned, while heroes and armies chased nothing but specters. Now when nobody is looking because they have been duped into thinking the world doesn't exist anymore, now he will rise.

There is no Nagash, only Morcar.

Morcar being pure evil can be any size he wants.

Realistically how much would several casts come to, perhaps a few of us could club together to repay the kindness of previous years?

Fimm McCool

It depends how many we need. I don't know how many were cast for the previous years, can somebody with this figure let me know? If I can fit the figure into a mould I'm already having done then no need to add on that cost and it will work out max £2 figure for spin/metal cost. BUT if he's much larger than a standard 28mm mini then he won't fit in a mould and will need his own which will add £50 to the overall cost. If we need lots (and we might) then maybe I could fit one into a mould, get a dozen copies cast and then have a production mould of these castings made up- would Foundry be up for making/spinning the production mould? It could be an interesting thing to observe over the weekend.

Snickit

I'm happy to go with a 28mm Morcar, I was only really referring to a bigger one as alluding to the back story. I had a comic strip style image of Morcar kicking Nagash up the arse in a Robocapers/Combat Colin (target audience) way whilst telling him to bog off, he's the big bad of the real Warhammer World and he's back baby yeah!!!!!!!!

Here comes the "turn it off and then back on again" times

Fimm McCool

Ok, I've started getting the armature together. He'll be about 32mm high, so impressively built in comparison to an old-school mini but also able to fit with modern ranges.
I've also been in contact with Kieven who does my casting and he's happy to make it happen so here's the plan:

Green (original sculpt) goes into a mould with some of my bits in about a week's time. No cost incurred.
10-12 spins of the mould yields 10-12 master casts. Approx. metal/spin cost £15
10-12 masters go into a production mould. Cost £50
Each spin of production mould yields 10-12 production castings. Metal/spin cost approx. £4 per spin.

So 100 castings= £100
150 castings= £120
200 castings= £140 and so forth

How many do we need? Do we want to offer some to friends outside the UK since they so kindly gave us their mini last year? Can we get together the funds?
I'm very happy to do the sculpt for free, it will be a privilege to serve and add my handiwork to the lineup sculpted by the legendary Kev Adams, Mark Copplestone and Nico, but sadly I cannot offer to fund the production run as I have spent all my funds on getting the Secrets of Shandisholm print run started.

Fimm McCool

A kind donor who has wished to remain unknown has given the funds for 100 castings, so the mini has the green light to get o ahead! Started work today, will post progress soon. :)

Snickit

This is awesome. Whilst I do not have the funds to pump in a huge amount I am more than happy to contribute.

weazil

Sorry chaps - missed this.

AS yet, an event mini has not been discussed or proposed, so I'm glad this is happening - good on you, Mr McCool!

Last year, we were given 80 Psycho Sams (200 total were cast - 80 for the UK, 80 for the USA and 40 for the Antipodes). Of the 80, about 70 were taken by registered individuals, everything thereafter was for friends that coudn't make it, etc, etc. All 80 were taken, but I would suggest that 80-100 is about the right number for the UK.

Looking at other communities and their oldhammer days, I think you could get away with about 20-30 each for the French and US oldhammer event regulars, as well as a few to shunt off to Captain Crooks and his Australian cohort.

Many thanks to the kind contributor to get the figure posted and cheers again, Fimm, for getting one organised!

Fimm McCool

He's getting close to being done. Still a few bits and bobs to add and refine but you can see the idea.

The legs were a challenge, he's clearly wearing trousers in the image, but how to make them look 80s comic book villain-y? I was looking at Skeletor for inspiration, but the sorcerer is so close anyway... then I hit on an idea. Of course, Morcar should draw from Shredder! Here he is with his HQ mates. I've scaled him so he fits nicely with the sorcerer and warriors, is big and imposing by old-school standards and on a par with more modern ranges.

What do you think?

Attachments

• morcar1.jpg
    morcar1.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 1,661
  • morcar2.jpg
    morcar2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,661

Snickit

Mate, that's flippin' awesome!

Great work, this deed will go down with great renown and we shall toast your name with very much ale!

Erny

Great stuff Fimm, you have really captured him. Will you be painting one up for the game in the same colours as the Marvel comic?

Back