Boyl 16 Rise of Morcar, or HeroQuest the battle or BFFG

Erny

Time marches on so I think it best that we create an outline for the big fantasy game to be played on the Saturday. My suggestion is we use the idea of a good/lawful attack on a summoning conducted by the evil/chaotic side. We discussed this before and the idea proved popular, for one this will place the onus on the good side to move forward unlike the last siege game.

The theme I suggest is based loosely around Heroquest and AHQ. The evil/chaotics are trying to raise/summon the spirit of the great Morcar, his lieutenants or their descendants have met at an unholy site and the high level magicians must channel the winds of magic into their powerful summoning spell. They are aided by evil monoliths places across the table, the more wizards are involved in the summoning and the longer the evil monoliths remain in the evil players hands the sooner Morcar can be raised.

On the good side we have the following armies inspired by the adventurers found in the two games, in all cases people are encouraged to bring their own units to the table here I list what I know we have:

Barbarians: Paul can bring a large number of bare chested barbarian types, including mammoths.

High elves: I can bring a small number of the noble elves. Others players are really encouraged to add to it.

Wood elves: I have a large woodelf army with treemen and zoats.

Dwarves: I have a large dwarven army.

Civilised humans: Representing the two wizards and the fighter, I can provide a reasonable sized Empire army with additional Bretonians. I know Paul has a large citadel WoR army if he chooses to bring it.

For the evil side we have inspired by the evil characters in the HQ and AHQ scenarios (names to be added as and when I remember or people tell me them):

Chaos, including fimir led by the Chaos sorcerer and gargoyle. I have a lot of chaos as does Paul.

Orcs and Goblins, multiple leaders including the Orc shaman. I have a reasonable Orc army and Paul has a massive orc army. Snicket has some too.

Undead, led by the witch lord and the necromancer. I have undead.

The Ogre hoard. I have a number of units, all need painting though, Paul has a number also painted. I happen to have the Ogres from the original HQ expansion.

Skaven lead by whats 'is name. Snicket has this covered.

As I said in all cases others are positively welcome to add their own forces and units.

It would perhaps be very cool if some of the original HQ and AHQ miniatures made it onto the table.

Finnaly if you happen to have slann, dark elves or another non-HQ faction don't worry please join in, the list is of what has to be included not all that's to be included.

Snickit

Erny":yg8phbq6 said:
High elves: I can bring a small number of the noble elves. Others players are really encouraged to add to it. .
I can defo add to this

Wood elves: I have a large woodelf army with treemen and zoats.
-
WHAT???? Not TREEMEN AGAIN!!!!!! :o :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Undead, led by the witch lord and the necromancer. I have undead.
I have Undead too.

Skaven lead by whats 'is name. Snicket has this covered.
Praznagar, Prince of Agony who was a kind of deamon character who I may have a little idea for..................

It would perhaps be very cool if some of the original HQ and AHQ miniatures made it onto the table.
I have a all of the original AHQ figures primed and ready for paint and can lay my hands on some of the Skaven AND Men-at-Arms.

Fimm McCool

Erny":1hzbtfbf said:
Chaos, including fimir led by the Chaos sorcerer and gargoyle. I have a lot of chaos as does Paul.

Believe it or not I have quite a lot of Fimir. And really they need to be there since HQ was THE Fimir's moment of glory. :) I'm doing a Fimir game on Sunday and we're hoping to have a display case for arranging various Fimir clans side by side to celebrate their diversity.

Erny

L.L.P. please do bring your skeletons, you woudl be more than welcom to also command the undead faction I bring as well, I'm intending to command either my wood elves or my empire/bretonian forces myself.

Good to hear you will join us Fimm, I don't need to worry about painting up any Fimir now, though maybe I will just to ensure some actual HQ Fimir make it. I don't remember there being any in your excellent army.

Erny

Another point I'll add to the front, if you happen to have slann, dark elves or another non-HQ faction don't worry please join in, the list is of what has to be included not all that's to be included.

Oh and monsters, some for each side but I think it woudl be fun to have a slightly random wandering monster element.

Erny

Finally for now some thoughts on how the scenario will work as far as raising Morcar.

There will be a Morcarometer that will record the summoning points, this could be on paper but preferably a big cardboard cut out.

In the center of the table perhaps slightly inside the chaotic half there will be a plateau upon which sits a pentagram. For every magic user that spends a turn doing nothing but chanting on one of the five points of the pentagram that magic users level will be added to the summoning points currently in the Morcarometer. Only one magic user may occupy an one point of the pentagram meaning a maximum of 20 summoning points can be gained from the pentagram. Further there will be four channeling stones, each stone that is in the possession of the chaotic side a further 5 summoning points is added to the total. Every stone that has a lawful/good/neutral (if on the right side) wizard that does nothing else but chant within five inches of it is blocked. This means a maximum of 40 summoning points may be added each turn. Summoning points are only gained in the chaotic turn not each turn.

It takes 200 summoning points to fill the Morcarometer at which point Morcar is summoned. So that's five turns if all goes well I'm fairly sure we managed way more than five turns on the Saturday of the Siege game but I'm flexible on turns to summon so it perhaps needs thinking about.

Snickit

Quick Question.

What do we know of Morcar?

I know of two references.

1) most obviously Heroquest where he's he big bad behind everything. I seem to remember there being mention of him being a former pupil of Mentor but I could be getting confused with Starwars.

2) Archaon the Everchosen wears the Armour of Morkar, named after the first wearer of it who was the first Mortal being to unite the 4 big bad powers of Chaos. He obviously didn't succeed ultimately because the Warhammer world survived.

So, are Morcar and Morkar the same person? If so Morcar is obviously one seriously old Dude. We're talking about summoning him so is he Undead or a Chaotic Immortal, possibly raised to be a Daemon Prince before completing his job of destroying the Warhammer world as the powers had a different plan for him.

See the Chaos Gods actually need the Warhammer World. Without Mortal life they don't exist as no one would be around to worship them.

So is this the greatest Irony of Morcar, is it his job to bring about the destruction and but in actual fact rebirth of the Warhammer world. He's the reset button.

Snickit

Erny":2zz82tfw said:
Another point I'll add to the front, if you happen to have slann, dark elves or another non-HQ faction don't worry please join in, the list is of what has to be included not all that's to be included.

Oh and monsters, some for each side but I think it woudl be fun to have a slightly random wandering monster element.

Do we know that Morcar himself isn't an Elf? All we know is that he is/was mortal, nothing says he was Human............

Fimm McCool

Erny":1j9q74qp said:
L.L.P. please do bring your skeletons, you woudl be more than welcom to also command the undead faction I bring as well, I'm intending to command either my wood elves or my empire/bretonian forces myself.

Good to hear you will join us Fimm, I don't need to worry about painting up any Fimir now, though maybe I will just to ensure some actual HQ Fimir make it. I don't remember there being any in your excellent army.

On the contrary, I have about 50 of them as shearls. :)

What's B.O.B.? Much as I like the idea of a mass battle with HQ rules.... no screw it. I LIKE the idea of a mass battle with HQ rules! Squares are easy to turn into inches, so effectively it's a simple combat die rolling mechanic. Who fancies a shedload of custom BOYL HQ dice?!!!!

Erny

Bob is the big orange book. I cannot see how heroquest rules would cope to be honest, goblins throw 1 die each, orcs 2, chaos warriors 4? The number of dice we'd need would be massive.If your on a hill you get another dice, what about moral?

Fimm McCool

Yeah I agree, it would be silly.... :razz:

Ah yes, of course, Bob. Doth Bob include or exclude Armies? Fimir are somewhat limited in Bob and whilst it would be fine for HQ size (of which we'll have many) it would be a shame if the big boys didn't get to play. :)

Snickit

I'd expect the Armies book will also be used.

I just thought BOB was a good silly answer, especially as in my head it's pronounced in the Black Adder B...................ob manner.

Fimm McCool

Heheh, Bob. :)

Snickit":1cszd21r said:
Quick Question.

1) most obviously Heroquest where he's he big bad behind everything. I seem to remember there being mention of him being a former pupil of Mentor but I could be getting confused with Starwars.

2) Archaon the Everchosen wears the Armour of Morkar, named after the first wearer of it who was the first Mortal being to unite the 4 big bad powers of Chaos. He obviously didn't succeed ultimately because the Warhammer world survived.

So, are Morcar and Morkar the same person? If so Morcar is obviously one seriously old Dude. We're talking about summoning him so is he Undead or a Chaotic Immortal, possibly raised to be a Daemon Prince before completing his job of destroying the Warhammer world as the powers had a different plan for him.

See the Chaos Gods actually need the Warhammer World. Without Mortal life they don't exist as no one would be around to worship them.

So is this the greatest Irony of Morcar, is it his job to bring about the destruction and but in actual fact rebirth of the Warhammer world. He's the reset button.

1- Yes, I'm pretty sure that was in the Marvel HQ special. It also shows Morcar as a kind of Skeletor figure with glowing eyes in a big green hood. Probably influenced by the Chaos Sorcerer model.
2- Same guy I reckon.
3- What's the deal with Zargon? ;)

Snickit

Fimm McCool":3ja9pftx said:
Heheh, Bob. :)

Snickit":3ja9pftx said:
Quick Question.

1- Yes, I'm pretty sure that was in the Marvel HQ special. It also shows Morcar as a kind of Skeletor figure with glowing eyes in a big green hood. Probably influenced by the Chaos Sorcerer model.
2- Same guy I reckon.
3- What's the deal with Zargon? ;)

Aye, I saw the same comic strip, no armour on but not in battle.

I reckon we need an "Armoured Skeletor" type.

Wasn't Zargon the name for Morcar in the US HQ release? Also, an Oil and Gas Company, so yeah, pretty much pure evil............................

ardyer

Yea, Zargon is what he was called here in the USA. We also got a more advanced rule set, apparently.

Fimm McCool

ardyer":30uvajfa said:
Yea, Zargon is what he was called here in the USA. We also got a more advanced rule set, apparently.

I realise that, but honestly, Zargon? Morcar is a much better name! It's not that advanced, just presented as an RPG system rather than a board game. ;)

Back