BOYL16 Something for the fantasy fans.

Erny

It would seam that every project that is currently still being worked on is a RT game. I'd like to make sure there is a nice big, or at least modestly sized fantasy game happening and I'd love to hear if anyone is up for it.

I'm easy on the game to be played happy to go with a big field battle, a siege or even a multiplayer warband rumble. Whatever but I think now is the time to agree on something otherwise there will be no big fantasy representation on the day, which would be sad.

I think some of the chaps from the Hitchin club that I occasionally frequent would be very much up for this.

If you drop me a PM, we can sort out how to put you in contact with them.

Matt

Erny

Matt, OK will do.

Paul, I'm not sure your contribution could ever be described as meager.

I'm guessing if we concentrate on a large field battle between chaos/evil and law/good and figure out a scenario when we know what will be on the table.

Golgfag1

Depending how successful I am at persuading members of the various clubs I frequent to come to BOYL2016 (As they have interest in & collections of Epic & Warmaster and the like (Steve, please take note)) space in the car maybe limited, hence my contribution may be very meager :grin:

As for the game - a straight - line em up & charge might be easy, but will it engage any others, than those playing or should we be looking at something with a GM and distributing individual objectives set within the big battle? I've obviously been watching & reading too much War of the Roses, but we could limit each contributor to a 'to be agreed' points/limit and then set em a task on the field - Take & hold position 'A', Attack player 3, Preform a summing ritual or destroy all Elves, Attack the player to you left, hire the services of a wizard/mercenaries, find the treasure at point 'B' etc. etc with secondary objectives, if, the first isn't achievable (What, no elves on the table!) What do you think :?:

Paul / Golgfag1

Erny":1zl519we said:
Matt, OK will do.

Paul, I'm not sure your contribution could ever be described as meager.

I'm guessing if we concentrate on a large field battle between chaos/evil and law/good and figure out a scenario when we know what will be on the table.

Erny

I guess how much scenario we can cram in depends on how knowing the forces, if people sign up for the game and say what they are bringing all well and good, if we have no idea what's going to be brought along we need to play it by ear.

Perhaps we could resurrect our plans for a big game with the evil side trying to summon up a big bad?

Blue in VT

Ah man...Erny I wanna come over and have a all day siege game with your awesome fortress...Not that massive Siege thing that most folks like to try at events but something that we could actually finish in a day...that would be grand!

...someday.... 8-)

Cheers,

Blue

Golgfag1

I could re-ash the scenario we played - changing the objectives & forces to suit what people want to use, as I learned quite a lot that weekend about players - aspirations, behavior & expectations of a large game, which might be quite interesting to try & tweak to suit! :lol: Also, following Salute I've acquired some more BIG BEASTS! :o :shock: :o for the barbarian types after seeing the Ilford Wargames Groups display (Got to try & get these guys to BOYL), if you want to see pictures go here - http://www.chaosbunker.de/?p=9990&lang=en :grin: The mammoths are from Heroes of the dark Ages - http://www.heroesofthedarkage.co.uk/

Paul / Golgfag1

Erny":yphynxqz said:
I guess how much scenario we can cram in depends on how knowing the forces, if people sign up for the game and say what they are bringing all well and good, if we have no idea what's going to be brought along we need to play it by ear.

Perhaps we could resurrect our plans for a big game with the evil side trying to summon up a big bad?

Erny

Blue in VT":3qzoayy4 said:
Ah man...Erny I wanna come over and have a all day siege game with your awesome fortress...Not that massive Siege thing that most folks like to try at events but something that we could actually finish in a day...that would be grand!

...someday.... 8-)

Cheers,

Blue

Yep I'd love to meet up some time too Blue. I've joked with a few other Americans that in a few years time we should all meet in Iceland for a mid-Atlantic oldhammer ten year anniversary meet. Chances are it would be just as cheap if not cheaper to fly to or from the states but I like the egalitarian idea of meeting in the middle of the Atlantic like Churchill and Roosevelt.

Erny

Golgfag1":3ebj2esj said:
I could re-ash the scenario we played - changing the objectives & forces to suit what people want to use, as I learned quite a lot that weekend about players - aspirations, behavior & expectations of a large game, which might be quite interesting to try & tweak to suit! :lol: Also, following Salute I've acquired some more BIG BEASTS! :o :shock: :o for the barbarian types after seeing the Ilford Wargames Groups display (Got to try & get these guys to BOYL), if you want to see pictures go here - http://www.chaosbunker.de/?p=9990&lang=en :grin: The mammoths are from Heroes of the dark Ages - http://www.heroesofthedarkage.co.uk/

Paul / Golgfag1

Erny":3ebj2esj said:

Wow you are going to be the Mammoth king soon. Though we woudl have to decide if the barbarians count as good or evil, the Norse in 3rd were neutral but human, found as mercenaries mainly in, "good" armies. Latterly the barbarians have become chaotics.

For the scenario I was thinking rehashing this idea: http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6687 obviously adding in anything that woudl make it even better including all your ideas from the scenario as you ran it.

Perhaps a siege is the way to go though, Blue makes a good point on how awesome that can be.

Harry

Hi Erny,

We (G.R.O.G Gloucestershire Retro and Oldhammer Gamers) have something in the pipeline for Fantasy.
It is a little something we have started calling : "Coldhammer" :grin:

This is a 'Frozen' version of Oldhammer .... specifically first edition Oldhammer.

We have been playing the scenarios in the Rewake river valley in the back of the first edition rules.

We will be running a turn up, grab a faction and play some 1st edition set in a very snow covered Redwake River Valley.

XEcN0j.jpg

Ist edition has some rules for dungeon bashing ... so we were planning on doing a bit of skirmish underground as well as on the table top using the dungeon tiles I have been doing for Quest.

We have hooked up with Stuart (Bane) who was thinking of running some Heroquest with the idea of having a split table set up on one of the directors tables maybe with all the snow terrain on one side and the dungeoun terrain on the other.

The man scenario we have planned for the Saturday is a siege on the Dwarf Hold .....

This Dwarf hold:

S3Xey3.jpg

r5imje.jpg

0uEoPI.jpg

The inside will look a bit like this:

OYMT4y.jpg

nSXs7m.jpg

Jvp2jA.jpg

7RGJ6y.jpg

Now don't let me butt into your plans in anyway .... you can never have too much fantasy .... just did not want you to think there was nothing happening for Fantasy.

Erny

Harry not sure if that was an invite to join in. If so we can talk, I have a nice sized dwarf army on light rock bases that would look great trying to relieve the siege, Paul's barbarians and mammoth load of mammoths would look perfect helping to lay siege. Naturally you may have it all planned already and I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Let me know and then we can plan appropriately.

Golgfag1

Oh, OK, I better get painting more barbarian types then! :lol: :lol: :lol: CELTOS - here I come.

Please check your messages please, gentlemen.

Paul / Golgfag1 :grin:

Erny

Re-reading Harry's post I think they have everything sorted already for their game. Given this I've gone and booked one of the big tables for Saturday. The Rise of Morcar idea was popular before so I've gone with that idea, we can change that I'm sure if need be but they needed a description of the game for the booking and we had all agreed to play this previously so hopefully it's something people want to play.

For those who don't know here's the previous discussion:

http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6687

Harry

Quite happy to throw our lot in together. But our plan is various small skirmish scenarios rather than MASS Fantasy Battle.

weazil

Righto chaps - thanks for registering - much appreciated. I see both Erny and Harry have each booked a 12x6 for saturday, but I suspect you only intended to claim one? Did you each need a 12x6, or is there only one 12x6 in demand here?

Thanks!

weazil

...As an aside, Harry - did you make the dungeon tiles, or did you buy those somewhere? Perhaps the question is better asked in an open fashion - how did you get those tiles?

Harry

It is not clear if we both need a table or are throwing our ideas together.
I suuspect two tables?

However I came here to post to say I booked a BIG table but if someone else wanted it we could fit what we were doing on an 8X4 if we need to .... it is just rather a nice table set up we have the stuff for ... so thought it might make a good 'showcase' table. Quite happy to set it up and let anyone play on it all weekend TBH.

We were planning on being there Friday ... and playing some scenarios so I really need to book it for Friday too.

Yes made the tiles myself. there is a Thread on here "Harry does dungeon tiles" ... where you can see how easy it ws ... nothing to it.

Back