BOYL 2016 Rogue Trader "tournement"

I love Rogue Trader and would really be keen to play some games. I would like to organise a set of small to medium skirmish sized games. I would arrange opponents, provide scenarios (probably make a table or a list to roll on before the game, or agreed with your opponent) and tabulate the results.

RULES

1. Any models are allowed, including proxies or stand ins. Please bring an awesome army to show off, with no limit on imagination.

2. 1200 point armies, selected from any publication pertaining to Rogue Trader. Including but not limited to white dwarf, chapter approved, the core rulebook (design you own), Waargh the orcs!!!, realm of chaos etc.

3.1st edition vehicle rules will be used. That means you can use anything up to the change to data sheets, just before 2nd ed. I think this means chaos dreadnoughts dont have their own rules? It does mean you can use the vehicle design rules from the book.

4. I want to use the most current version of any rule options. I think the only major one is Space marine toughness increase. This is on page 27 of the Compendium (the yellow book).

5. HOUSE RULE Flamers use the flamer template from later editions. Its more fun and differentiates the flamer from all the other weapons. No burning though, models do not continue to burn in subsequent turns.

6. HOUSE RULE No virus or toxin grenades. No deaths heads of nurgle either ;). No vortex grenades. Also you cant take the missile version either!

7. HOUSE RULE Sustained fire gets -1 to hit for each shot after the first.

I will add some more as I think of them.

Im thinking 20 marines and a tank sort of size, so big enough to field a troupe of harlequins plus support, a stealer coven, maybe some chaos marines and a demon, so probably about 1200 points.
If you want to join in then you would need to organise (bring or borrow) an army to play with, based on an army list from one of the publications (of your choice). I realise this will mean some very unbalanced games, but as winning isnt the point of the game Im sure it could be a whole heap of fun!

I will arrange a points value limit, as I said about 1200 but I will need to mess about with some armies to get a good balance of quick game but not a really small force. with "rule of cool" trumping everything. For example if you want a marine captain on a powerboard then go for it.( It is possible to roll this up on one of the obscure tables, so there is a points price guide listed.)

Last year I manged to shoe-horn in a 3 way game between other games, so it would really be organised on the principle of "get some figures down and have a game when you can" or "play 1 game play 8 games its up to you" sort of no-sweat fun kind of gaming, but organised before hand so participants can have a list ready. Its also a way to show off your force and actually put those models on the table!

Sounds good to me. I have no idea what points costs are like, but I might be able to provide a spare army if someone else wants to play -- I should have enough of both Chaos and Orks.

A squad of 10 grey knight terminators is 1200 points, a demon of nurgle is 950, a squad of 10 guardsman is about 100 points, a rhino is about 300. So 1200 is enough to do a medium sized force, or a small and powerful force.

I am very keen to play this. Keen to get some rogue trader play in this way as I've only had a chance to play it once before and it was without an army lists and it would give me the boot I need to paint the blood axe force I have the minis for but really need a kick up my behind to get completed

I always played using lists, Im not really keen on heavily scripted scenarios. I think alot of oldhammer people feel this is the "wrong" way to play, but not me! Army lists are part of the fun. I agree they dont necessarily make for a balanced or fair game, but they do make it fun!

Im happy for folks to use whatever amry lists they want, so white dwarf/compilation to waargh! the orcs to the astronomicon, or any other source. As long as its designed for rogue trader than its "legal" to me. This obviously included the "build your own" construction templates included in the core rulebook. Realm of Chaos is fine too, but I would be a bit wary as its going to be too easy to end up with a super power chamion! Or a really weedy one that costs too much......

There will some rules adjustments to speed up the games that I will work on, stuff like using scatter dice for random deviation and nurfing virus/toxin granades. I will make a play sheet to give to all players with weapons lists and rule amendments on. We will be using the core vehicles rules from the main book. Any comments about this would be appreciated.

Matttp

Alright dude. I do love RT and have played it at BOYL the last two years. We've played a very relaxed style using the main rule book and amended weapons. I'd be up for playing something using lists but where RT gets bogged down is agreeing all the additional rules/changes which were made during it's life span (which was why we avoided most of it). You might also want to edge the points up a little if you want people to be able to include groovy kit as a chunk of the lists mandatory choices will eat most of 1200pts. All that aside I'd be well up for a game and might have already put together a Rogue Trader's force from the Astronomican lists. :grin:

I see what you are saying about points cost, but if you push it up higher, pleayers like guard or orcs who want to play horde armies will have to bring a ton of models! I wanted to pitch the games between small skirmish and too many models to lug around! I thin 1200 is a good level to leave it at.

If you want to break rules in assigning compulsory troops in favour of bringing what you want, please do so. Any minor infringement of force purchase or structure is allowed. Its better to bring what you have that is cool than to leave your favorite models at home because the army list says no.

I also agree on rules tweaks and want to get them down on paper as soon as possible. I will give then in hand outs on the day. My proposals are:

1. Marines T4
2. Flamers work with templates and no burning rules.
3. No virus grenades and all soldiers get a save vs toxins.
4. Limited Vortex grenades
5. Random direction is done by scatter dice.

Please any suggestions warmly welcomed. I also did a slightly reworded version of the rules about combat for another project. Essentially, what you do in combat is really hard to figure out with the way the rulebook is written, and I have done a more concise version. I will post it up for comment too, as it will probably end up in the hand outs.

Matttp

It's a good point. You can have a gazillion Orks or Guard for 1500/2000pts. I'm going to try to stay list legal coz choosing is half the fun and leaves you knowing there are gaps in your force. I loved playing with the rulebook RT dread/vehicle rules as it stops them dominating the game (also power fields without synchronisers so you have to choose between protection or shooting). Over all I'd just love the chance to play some people and armies I haven't faced before.

There is one other thing I might raise but have you looked at following fire? Characters with FF weapons can be filth (a minor hero with a plasma gun is a squad killer).

Matttp":q5hv3o5x said:
There is one other thing I might raise but have you looked at following fire? Characters with FF weapons can be filth (a minor hero with a plasma gun is a squad killer).

Good call, what is your suggestion?

yeah, I mean I wont be breaking any rule swith my force choices, I mean whats the point? And again lower point armies means everything is easier to carry and games are a bit shorter. Which is just the thing you want at BOYL!

Matttp

You don't want to make FF dog egg but it can be horrendous in it's original form. Something like a cumulative -1 for each shot after the first, or D3 or D4 shots, or a set number (2 or 3 or 4) of shots, or something. It will be the same for anyone playing so I'm not sure it matters what's chosen, it's just to stop them dominating the size of game you're suggesting.

Have you any thoughts on a setting (narrative and the like), or is it going to be a stand up fight for reasons nobody will ever need to know? The latter was the dominant form of 40k I played back in the day (It also often didn't use much in the way of lists to be honest). Plots/missions give the game an imperative but end up being quite a bit of work.

I have also been joyfully digging through a lead box, picking stuff out that I knew I had for a reason which I just had not discovered yet. If I knew how to put a photo on and had a phone that could take photo's I'd be showing it off right about now. :)

Matttp

Sounds wicked dude. I'll blast people for fun but I'd just as sooner have a reason. How are you for scenery and the like? I normally bring some but can bring more (and some 6x4's) if needed?

I just posted up some "rules" for the campaign.

I have a cool 3D hex map we can use to track the battles, so if you want to bring a hex base as a token to represent your army that would be cool. The map is moddeled up as a section of about 1km square of planet scape. I have a bunch of epic vehicles as markers for orcs, marines and tyranids.

Where did you post up the rules please Curtis?

I'm thinking I might have enough troops for this already or probably over with the land raider Mustafa Bebkir over at the FB group is making for me :razz:

The campaign rules are on the first post in this thread. I will keep updating it as we go along so please check there. Essentially its 1200 points, so a medium sized force. I will be running 3 rhinos, 25 marines, bikes and a commander. SO not big but not small. Imperial guard would be fielding 50 models ish.

Ok, well the way it will work is you come and register with me when you show up, and I liase with all the players to find who is free when and what tables we can use. It going to be a bit fluid I guess, so just try to fit in a game when you can. I have booked a couple of tables for sataurday and sunday afternoon, and 1 table outside those times.

Niibl

Now that the Helsreach game does not seem to happen, I am tempted to cobble a small army together.
A marines force with terminators and dreads should be managable.

Matttp

Looks like a fair set of house rules you've got there dude. Looks like it will be RT rule book Orks or Army as I have had no chance to get the Rogue Trader list painted up.
The scenery I've got is mostly Citadel ruins (but quite a bit of it) as well as hills, trees and some scatter stuff. I'll just bring as much as I can.

Back