Fimir battle royale- The Call of Chulaine

Fimm McCool

Ok, so a couple of years I mooted doing a Fimir civil-war type game. There seem to be more cans around now, aided by the little companies making Fimir more available and inspired by the stunning efforts of some of the members of this forum. So would anyone be up for it this year?

EDIT!: MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW DOWN BELOW SHORTLY!

Attachments

• Chulaine.jpg
    Chulaine.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,322

Fimm McCool

Re: Fimir battle royale- The Call of Khulaine

Yay! That's two then. :) Chico, you said something about your Fimir making it North this year?

lenihan

Provided I'm able to get to BOYL, Clan Slea will be in attendance.

Chico

Fimm McCool":2ms0a6mv said:
Yay! That's two then. :) Chico, you said something about your Fimir making it North this year?

It all depends if both I can make it/afford it and how I'm travelling up if I can.

Also my force is built for Kings of War rather then WhFB3 and while it's a fair sized force for KoW I'm not sure of the points for WhFB3 or even what'll port back.. Fianna Fimm with Crossbows and a Giant Worm Cannon comes to mind hehe

Fimm McCool

lenihan":2eve8yhb said:
Provided I'm able to get to BOYL, Clan Slea will be in attendance.

Excellent, missed them last year. :)

Chico":2eve8yhb said:
Also my force is built for Kings of War rather then WhFB3 and while it's a fair sized force for KoW I'm not sure of the points for WhFB3 or even what'll port back.. Fianna Fimm with Crossbows and a Giant Worm Cannon comes to mind hehe

Doesn't matter, I'm sure we can find WFB rules to cover them. This is very much about mish-mashing clans and players together, so turning up with a warlord and his bodyguard wyrm (the sole remnants of his glorious death quest?) is just as acceptable as turning up with the giant army of Bibby Fimir as pictured in WD. :grin:

Fimm McCool

Some background to the game...

http://fimmmccools.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/fimir-game-for-boyl-2016-call-of.html

Millennia ago, cast adrift by the gods that had fashioned them, the race of the Fimir waned to a fraction of its once glorious power and warring nobles forced their nation apart. One of the most powerful of the Meargh called for the clans to stand united. Her name was Annun and she had a plan.

Annun’s clan lived in the far north of what is now Albion, in a fortress built of black granite and named Chulaine. Within this fortress, suspended over a great shaft at the heart of the castle, was a crystal, last remaining piece of the warp gates. Annun claimed that through this crystal Balor spoke to her of a glorious future for his people. Balor’s act of allowing the collapse of the northern the gate had earned him the high privilege of becoming one with the warp and even now his very life force was flowing through the magical essence in every Fimir. By learning to listen to his urging the Fimir would establish their race and subdue the world that had rejected them.

In a little over two centuries the whole remainder of the Fimir clans had grouped around the crystal. Hostility was rife, especially among the Meargh who resented any who claimed authority over them, and a civil war threatened to break out. Annun summoned the clan leaders to a contest. Whoever could break a piece from the crystal would demonstrate they had the blessing of Balor to lead his people to triumph. Each Meargh was to take in turns to strike the stone, whoever broke a piece off would be crowned queen of the Fimir. Annun herself went first, but for days the Meargh struck without success. Then, as evening drew in on the fifth day, a hit from a Meargh named Morrigû shattered a piece from the side of the crystal. Yet the Fimir had not expected what happened next. Mysterious essence, enshrined within the stone which had powered the gates of the Old Ones, flooded the castle. The Fimir were engulfed in a wave of something not experienced before or afterward. All memory of what happened is lost, but it appears the entire race of the Fimir slept, enshrined in the castle, for five thousand years. During these years it is believed Balor spoke to each individually, setting a task for each clan and each individual to perform.

When they finally awoke, the world outside was much changed, as were the Fimir themselves. Numb, they staggered out of the castle to behold a world populated with new species. Factions divided, each claiming a different view of their situation. Some claimed this was punishment for marring the stone, new races would fulfil the role the Fimir were to have played. Others declared these new creatures were rich pickings provided by Balor. A fierce battle broke out and the Fimir drifted their separate ways away from the castle. Few survived the slaughter or the radically changed climate. Ever since then the Fimir would exist as tiny and isolated groups, restricted to terrorising rural hamlets and haunting desolate fens, howling defiance at an uncaring moon and dreaming of the time when they would rise once more.

Now the time has come.

Across the Old World, carried on the winds of magic, the crystal calls to the Fimir.

From the cracked towers of the floating castle the crystal calls.

It summons its people back to Chulaine.

Fimm McCool

Chulaine2.jpg

Okie doke, here's how to select your warband for the Sunday morning game:

ONE Warlord
Some are the hand-picked champion of their clan, selected by the Meargh herself after long consultation and rigorous trial. Others are rogue nobles, determined to prove themselves worthy once again to hold power over their tribes.
Level 20 Hero M4 WS7 BS4 S5 T6 W5 I6 A5 Ld9+3 Int5 Cl7+1 WP7+1
One Magic Item
Whatever equipment the model has

ONE Dirach
Trusted or mistrusted companions to the Warlords, the Dirach consider themselves the real power behind the throne.
Level 10 Wizard M4 WS4 BS1 S5 T3 W3 I3 A1 Ld7+3 Int7+2 Cl7+1 WP8+2
One Magic Item
Whatever equipment the model has

THIRTY army slots chosen from:

Shearl (one slot each, 25mm bases)
M4 WS3 BS1 S4 T3 W2 I2 A1 Ld6 Int5 Cl6 WP6
The Shearl must be lead by one Level 5 Hero (first free, additional at a cost of +1 slot each): M4 WS5 BS4 S5 T5 W2 I4 A3 Ld6 Int5 Cl6 WP6
Hand Weapons

Fimm (three slots each, 40mm bases)
M4 WS4 BS3 S4 T5 W2 I3 A2 Ld6 Int5 Cl6 WP6
The Fimm may be lead by one Level 10 Hero at an additional cost of +1 slot each: M4 WS6 BS4 S5 T6 W3 I4 A4 Ld7 Int5 Cl6 WP6
Hand Weapons
May have Light Armour at a cost of +1 slot per model

Fianna Fimm (four slots each, 40mm bases)
M4 WS5 BS3 S5 T5 W2 I4 A2 Ld6 Int5 Cl6 WP6
The Fianna may be lead by one Level 10 Hero at an additional cost of +1 slot each: M4 WS6 BS4 S5 T6 W3 I4 A4 Ld7 Int5 Cl6 WP6
Hand Weapons, Light Armour
May have Two-Handed Weapons at a cost of +1 Slot per model

ONE 'non-Fimir' choice
This can be one unit of 5-15 20 or 25mm-based models, 5-10 cavalry-based models or a single larger-based model (rider allowed) chosen from the listings in WFB3 and Armies.

Rules for covering mist are in play (units of 5+ Fimir generate a covering mist, concealing characters in the unit and giving ranged weapons -1 to hit, units not covered are subject to Stupidity), however all Fimir can see through mists normally so this will largely only affect the non-Fimir choices.

Hopefully this should allow for the unique character of each clan to stand out without becoming too complicated. The 'non-Fimir' choice allows for more variation, particularly as many armies will have been designed for later editions or even Kings of War or Age of Silliness. There should be something in 3rd Ed you can use to represent these things. Because it's a warband game there are no minimum unit sizes, but the effects of covering mist mean really units of less than 5 are at a disadvantage unless they can overcome Stupidity.

http://fimmmccools.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/the-call-of-chulaine-rules-for-warbands.html

Fimm McCool

As we approach the event, people start adding up how many unpainted minis they have, timetables show how double (triple, quadruple) booked everyone is, other commitments crop up etc. it would be good to know how many people are actually still up for a Fimir civil skirmish on the Sunday morning? Table's booked and I'll have my clan with me, but they'll be playing in the BFG on the Saturday so won't be too disappointed if they don't get to rumble on Sunday!

Back