Inquisitor Cynole and the Temple of Gloom [BOYL 2016]

Scalene

I've been pushing ahead with developing a Rogue Trader scenario (initial text below as original post in first BOYL 2016 thread.

It was inspired by this snippet of a story from Chapter Approved
The 'thopter was a local model, ancient and noisy, the dull beat of its engines drowning any attempt at conversation. Dr Moenkhaus gestured to the ground.
'That', he said 'is the main logging zone. You can see the loggernauts if you look closely'.
Inquisitor Cynole peered from the cabin window. Far below he could make out the brown patches where the forest had been cleared. Pinpricks of black betrayed the presence of the giant machines.
'How far are we from the place?', he asked.
'About twenty miles. It's impassable overland of course, but only a few minutes in a 'thopter'.
Impassable - Cynole thought - how ready this doctor was to dismiss possibilities. Moenkhaus was either a fool or trying to conceal something.

A mysterious artefact has been discovered during logging operations on a feral planet. The Trading Guild has sealed off the area and notified the authorities. Various parties are assembled at the ruined temple deep in the jungle including:
- Inquisitor Cynole - investigating government corruption
- The Trading Guild who are running the logging operation
- Off-world Mercenaries they brought in to guard the site
- The Society of Mechanists (the local Mechanicus offshoot) summoned to investigate the artefact
- A whimsical noble who was big-game hunting in the area come to see the excitement
- The feral world natives working on the logging operation – (noble primitives or devil-worshipping savages).
This backwater planet is seething with political intrigue and they all have their own secrets and motivations. The key people are gathered in the artefact’s chamber when there is a scream outside…

A game for six or seven players based on Rogue Trader rules set in a ruined temple in the jungle and the twisting passages and chambers below it. Lots of secrets, surprises and back stabbing.

I’m thinking that people could choose factions and bring their own models, I would supply all scenery (got most of it already) and scenario (and any additional models needed).

Scalene

To update on progress, I've written the bones of the scenario and I've been building ruined temple scenery to accompany my existing jungle (pictures to follow soon). What I really need now is to find some prospective players - sign up in this thread if you are interested.

Skarsnik

Having played your chainsaw warrior game this year, and had great fun doing so, you can certainly count me in for this.

Scalene

Sides as I'm currently planning them are as follows (including whether I have any suitable models). I'm still working out exact composition/numbers. If you want to use your own then that's great, if you don't have anything then I'll source them.

1. Inquisitor
Inquisitor, two marine bodyguards, astropath/psyker, technical expert, local liaison attache, two local enforcers.
I've got models ready for just about all of these

2. Trading Guild
High level leader, two foremen/overseers, three security guards plus dog, two technicians, two labourers
I've got a possible leader (unpainted) and some suitable guards plus dog.

3. Mercenaries
Ten troops - Mesh armour, small arms, couple of heavy weapons
I've got all of these ready to go

4. Mechanists
Five scientists, three servitors, maybe a robot with analysis tools (non-combat), a couple of guards
Have two or three scientists (I was thinking more lab coats than robed cyborgs, but could be more Mechanicus-ish), also have a servitor and guards.

5. Noble
Three nobles (spyrer/bratt gang types), a native guide, a bodyguard, a film crew making a fly-on-the-wall, a few hangers-on - girlfriends, butler etc.
Haven't got anything in mind for these, but could have a rummage. Could probably source guide, bodyguard, film crew and the hangers on, but nothing really suitable for nobles yet.

6. Natives
Twenty natives with bows and hand weapons, a few characters - chief, elder etc. Maybe a few with guns.
Don't have these. Been trying to think of something not too cliched - e.g. using something historical like picts but giving them distinctive cloth patterns/tattoos.

Scalene

Great, although skarsnik had already expressed interest in the inquisitor, so you might have to fight it out with him. I have trading guild, mercenaries and natives free.

Model wise I'm short of natives and ornithopters so if anyone could lend either of those that would be great.

Scalene

Nice one James - I wondered if you would be up for it. Legio above has provisionally bagged mercenaries, so it might have to be trading guild or natives. I'm planning to supply the natives (models are ordered), trading guild could use some similar models to mercenaries - maybe a little more civilian.

Niibl

I would be interested unless it conflicts with Logan's world.
I could paint up one of the following:
- Trading Guild
- Mercenaries
- Mechanists
- Noble

Scalene

Niibl - It won't conflict with Logan's World, because I'm down for that too. You would be the sixth player, but if anyone is interested, then please do make yourself known as we are bound to get at least one person dropping out for some reason.

So far we have:
1. Inquisitor - Skarsnik
Inquisitor, two marine bodyguards, astropath/psyker, technical expert, local liaison attache, two local enforcers.

3. Mercenaries - Legio Custodes
Ten troops - Mesh armour, small arms, couple of heavy weapons

4. Mechanists - Fimm
Five scientists, three servitors, maybe a robot with analysis tools (non-combat), a couple of guards

5. Noble - Just John
Three nobles (spyrer/bratt gang types), a native guide, a bodyguard, a film crew making a fly-on-the-wall, a few hangers-on - girlfriends, butler etc.

That leaves these two factions one for Niibl, one for James Holloway.

2. Trading Guild
High level leader, two foremen/overseers, three security guards plus dog, two technicians, two labourers

6. Natives
Twenty natives with bows and hand weapons, a few characters - chief, elder etc. Maybe a few with guns.

Niibl if Trading Guild is something you have models for, then James could have the native faction. I've just bought the models for the natives (Black Tree Design picts), so I can supply these. I'm writing up the scenario at the moment, so I'll be able to supply more detail about the required models in a month or two.

Scalene

Curtis

The loggernauts are one of those mysterious asides that you get in Rogue Trader - I don't think there is any other reference or description of them. Note it's "naut" not "nought", so I assume it's based on the word "juggernaut". I imagined them as great big tracked things like open cast mining machines, although a dreadnought would be just the thing for cutting down trees with a couple of chainfists.
macro_machine.jpg

Niibl

mark me down for the trading guild then. It looks very interesting and I will surely have suitable miniatures in my dungeon.

Back