BOYL 2016

Golgfag1

jprp":3v7gfe79 said:
I would have thought keep it as wide as possible so Chaos+Evil vs Good/law with Neutral and merc`s available to both sides.
Are we doing points?
If no points restrictions then limits on Monsters/Treemen/Giants/Greater Daemons/Elementals etc?????????? I don`t think anyone will be amused if i turn up with 30+ giants, 20 Greater Daemons, Half a dozen level 10 Elementals and a hand full of Dragons. :mrgreen:

Play it cool and play nicely 8-) , this is not the place to start an arms race :twisted: , especially when considering the maths! :lol: (Drunkeness, instability, magic used before the game begins etc).

I'd suggest Good v Evil with Chaos & Neutral having the choice?

Paul / Golgfag1

riot

Scalene":2rh0l403 said:
All great ideas so far. Does anyone know who created the legendary 3rd edition table? Perhaps some elements of it still exist and we might be able to track them down.

I'd like to throw a few ideas into the ring. Foremost is a Rogue Trader style scenario I have been working up. This was prompted by one of those little snippet stories in Chapter Approved:

A mysterious artefact has been discovered during logging operations on a feral planet. The Trading Guild has sealed off the area and notified the authorities. Various parties are assembled at the ruined temple deep in the jungle including:

A game for six or seven players based on Rogue Trader rules set in a ruined temple in the jungle and the twisting passages and chambers below it. Lots of secrets, surprises and back stabbing.

I’m thinking that people could choose factions and bring their own models, I would supply all scenery (got most of it already) and scenario (and any additional models needed).

Other ideas:
Robot Wars. The idea of building and bringing a ship or 40K vehicle seemed very popular. How about everyone building a robot (say up to about 9" tall - not a titan) for an arena based battle/contest. Flaming pits, house robots, repair teams, spectators throwing grenades into the arena etc would add to it. Possibly some greatly simplified version of the robot programming from WD 104.

These are both great ideas I would be interested in taking part in.

I have just pulled out my copy of WD 104. The rules for Robots are so complicated it basically looks like a sub game within 40K anyway. I have seen some great examples of robot builds in other 'Oldhammers' blogs already and think this would look really cool in some kind of 'robotwars 40k' arena.

Also Dr. Gostello would always be interested in a dino hunt for new exhibits for his Psycho- Circus

Niibl

ramshackle_curtis":2d0y8yw9 said:
I would love to play a rougue trader/robo-rally mash-up!
Yep. Roborally cards should be perfect for such a game and Rogue Trader in general. Much better than the programming rules.

riot

Niibl":36xaosst said:
ramshackle_curtis":36xaosst said:
I would love to play a rougue trader/robo-rally mash-up!
Yep. Roborally cards should be perfect for such a game and Rogue Trader in general. Much better than the programming rules.

You mean you do not want to spend the next 6 months cutting out tokens for your 'program'! What kind of Oldhammerer are you? . . . . . Oh a smart one!

Funnily enough I have just seen a droid on Ramshackle games web site that would be perfect ;)

Niibl

riot":1hjt7ix8 said:
You mean you do not want to spend the next 6 months cutting out tokens for your 'program'! What kind of Oldhammerer are you?
I never made card board "tokens". My programs were collage-style affairs.
It was somewhat fun but I like Roborally more which has more potential for chaos and mayhem, especially if you add moving terrain as well.

weazil

Hi Jprp

Actually, the registration page for 2016 hasnt been created yet. I think what they have done is just copied and pasted the last years details into their event. I'm looking to revamp the registration process quite a bit this year, so it will definitely feel different to the previous years.

I typically look to start capturing registrations for game hosts around February, and players around from around May.

But don't worry, the registration window will be well publicised - you won't miss it :)

Ti Pouchon

Well, hope this is the right place to ask some stupid newbie questions about BOYL 2016..

Since the missus has been harping on about spending a summer holiday in England, attending BOYL next year might be an option! Hooray!

Now, looking at the map, the next 'big city' seems to be Nottingham.

Is there any sort of reliable public transportation from Nottingham to Stoke Hall or do I need a (rental) car?

What about on-site accomodation? Any hotels or b&bs in the vicinity?

And after a long day of ace gaming, is there a pub or something around where one might stand a fellow oldhammerer a drink or five?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

weazil

Ti Pouchon":30mp270w said:
Well, hope this is the right place to ask some stupid newbie questions about BOYL 2016..

Since the missus has been harping on about spending a summer holiday in England, attending BOYL next year might be an option! Hooray!

Is there any sort of reliable public transportation from Nottingham to Stoke Hall or do I need a (rental) car?

And after a long day of ace gaming, is there a pub or something around where one might stand a fellow oldhammerer a drink or five?

Hi there

I can't comment on the transport unfortunately, as I drive through, but as regards accommodation, this is the outcome of the research I did when trying to determine if we could get a group discount for BOYL 2015:

What has emerged is that the two establishments of choice appear to be the Best Western Deincourt and the Millgate House Hotel. There are several B&Bs in the area, but I've not explored those as most of us like to be in the more or less the same place to better co-ordinate the evenings out. I don't know if there is a preferred pub - each time I've gone out over BOYL, I've ended up in a different place!

Anyway, I hope that helps - here's hoping you can get an exit visa!

Thanks
Regards

Gaj

Attachments

• BOYL2015_Accomodation_Research.png
    BOYL2015_Accomodation_Research.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,541

Chico

Ti Pouchon":35h0ajzx said:

The next big City is indeed Nottingham, you can get a train from Nottingham to Newark then a taxi to Stoke Hall(Or a Taxi from Nottingham, but that'll be costly). For accommodation a large number of people tend to book in the Deincourt Hotel in Newark then car pool each day.

As for a pub there are many and varied including one in the Deincourt itself.

My recommendation is that since you are travelling alot then a hire car would make it alot simpler in the long run and staying in Newark would make for the most social suggestion.

lenihan

Chico":sj8hpx7p said:
The next big City is indeed Nottingham, you can get a train from Nottingham to Newark then a taxi to Stoke Hall(Or a Taxi from Nottingham, but that'll be costly). For accommodation a large number of people tend to book in the Deincourt Hotel in Newark then car pool each day.

As for a pub there are many and varied including one in the Deincourt itself.

My recommendation is that since you are travelling alot then a hire car would make it alot simpler in the long run and staying in Newark would make for the most social suggestion.

In fact there's a bus between Nottingham and Newark (the number 90) that goes every hour from outside Nottingham railway station, so there's no need to involve a taxi at all.

I always take the train/bus combo when I'm going to games at the Foundry and it works out fine.

Harry

Ti Pouchon":39apu5r6 said:
Thanks everybody!
Now let's go sell the missus on the wonders and beauties of Nottingham..
Don't forget to tell her that trains and buses nearly never run on time .... its impossible to get a taxi and all the girls go out for the evening in Nottingham half dressed even in the middle of winter. That should do the trick. :grin:

Oh .... and then you can try and expalian what "Monster Jungle meat Kebab" is.

weazil

Harry":2qz0xxdt said:
Golgfag1":2qz0xxdt said:
Start your gathering your warbands - dates have been announced on the Foundry website 5th, 6th & 7th August 2016, so it must be official.

See you all there? :grin:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/events/oldhammer

Paul / Golgfag1
Can I just check ..... Is this "official" .... I don't know who the heck I am asking? :grin:

Hi Harry

The dates ARE official - nothing else on the Foundry site is yet (it's actually the 2015 even copied and pasted). I think I'll create a new thread for the 'official' BOYL 2016 thread. But the dates are definitely the 5th, 6th and 7th of August, 2016.

Back