BOYL 2016

jprp

Yes i said it!

I will be looking to run my "Giants Lair" game (3rd ed based).
It will be on Saturday, kick off at 11am.
I have over 30 giants which will include several factions eg frost giants, Fire Giants etc.

The basic plot line will be that the individual factions of Giants have been blazing a trail of destruction through many more civilized lands and have congregated at a "Giants Moot" in the foot of the mountains. The Giants will be encamped and surrounded by various avenging factions who`s individual objective will be to wipe out a particular faction of Giants.
I will be looking for players to bring an avenging army (approx size will be determined by level of interest nearer the time) or even small warband and there will be plenty of Giants available for people who just want to turn up on the day and join in for a while. It would be nice to have an assistant on the Giant side, preferably someone with pretty good 3rd ed knowledge. :mrgreen:

jprp

Harry":329f6f26 said:
I can bring an avenging army made up of 20 giants. :grin:
If there is enough interest you could bring those and add them to mine no problem but i would prefer that there were not Giants on the other side.

So far i have thought of tie-ins for the following forces:
Ogres
Skaven
Chaos
Empire
Dwarfs
Bret`s

But any "Revenge" force can be accommodated.

Golgfag1

initial thoughts for 2016

Would any body be interested in playing a small skirmish game of Rogue Trader or similar next year? I've an idea of playing on two tables 6x4 with similar terrain & forces on both - in separate locations; the players therefore, only see on their table, what their forces see/scan and hopefully players will re-act accordingly! In hope this spikes some interest and thus inspires me to start painting! :lol:

I'd provide all figures & models and games would take one to two hours; unless you want to use your own figures in which case remember you need two of everything (one for your table and one for the other), at least two squads (four) a leader (two) and vehicles, oh and one more thing they don't have to be the same! :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Paul / Golgfag1

That sounds very interesting golgfag, but how would you manage both tables? Would the GM run between the two? Or would you require two GM's? Or maybe even use a couple of tablet's to coordinate it?

I've always pondered on what would be the best way of doing this. Space Hulks' "blip" markers came pretty close.

Interested to read your ideas :)

Golgfag1

optimus":20q8x4em said:
That sounds very interesting golgfag, but how would you manage both tables? Would the GM run between the two? Or would you require two GM's? Or maybe even use a couple of tablet's to coordinate it?

I've always pondered on what would be the best way of doing this. Space Hulks' "blip" markers came pretty close.

Interested to read your ideas :)

When I've done this in the past I've usually just walked between the two tables, and trusted the players to play fair and not go looking at the other table :lol: .

Paul / Golgfag1

Leromides

I would be interested to take part in the giants game and the 40k idea. As far as my own idea for a game I fancy doing the defence of Caraz Lumbar from the siege book. It would give me a reason to get my mighty fortress painted and I could provide all the other figures without too much trouble. Slightly crazier ideas include a game based off Kelly's heroes with blood axe space orks versus imperial nazis or an racing game with fliers using the open space of the courtyard that would probably cause some serious health and safety concerns :)

Scalene

Two tables skirmish sounds good. If you set up in the foundry shop they could be in separate adjacent rooms, which would prevent accidentally seeing/overhearing problems. Two hours sounds very short - even for a small force. Are you sure it would be as quick as that?

Thantsants

Love the sound of the Giant game and I'm itching to play some Rogue Trader at Boyl next year. I hope no one minds if I don't commit myself this early on as I'm sure I will get a bad case of Shiny-itis as more folk share their ideas for games and other ideas pop into my head as the year wears on!

Kelly's Heroes would make for a great scenario and the Fliers game sounds suitably bonkers! :lol:

Niibl

I am pretty sure that WI did such two-table a game for Muskets&Tomahawks. It looked great but did not seem to be done in two hours.

Grumdril

Not a game as such, but having been the beneficiary of LegioCustodes' efforts this year I thought it might be worth exploring trying to arrange some sort of GMing service for the more "standard" games next year.

The idea would be that for people who just want to bring whatever their preferred army is and fight a battle you set them up with a GM who sets each side objectives, maybe if needed for the scenario has some input into the terrain setup, and gives each army selection a review (or maybe actually sets each army composition based on the figures each player has). All this would be done prior to the day via the interweb.

On the day itself the GM's role would just be to answer any questions that arise over the objectives, and meanwhile the GM could be playing whatever game it is they've mainly come to play. If they wanted to of course they could actively be involved in the game they're GMing as Gaj was this year, but it seems to me that quite often a more light-touch approach would be plenty. BOYL players seem mature enough that the "other" part of GMing, i.e. rule arbitration, isn't really needed, however the massive difference between a "line them up and fight" game and an objective-based game means that if with some fairly minor effort we can have a few more of the latter than we would otherwise then that seems very worthwhile.

If we can get some 3-handed games, fighting-against-the-odds games, or whatever going through this then that would be great, but just adding something extra to the more standard games is really what I had in mind.

See what you think.

Paul / Grumdril

Cheers mate! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I have to say GM'ing a game is fantastic fun and you even tend not to notice that you're not playing in the game, especially if you include a few gribbly beasts to move around (alas my poor mutated wolves and those crappy raiders)!

It does take a lot of work beforehand but the reward is massive! I'll probably be running a game at BOYL 16 again but if anyone wants any help or tips from my experience this year then feel free to contact me!! I am always happy to help!!

SOOOOOoooooo.....maybe its time to set up the BOYL 16 individual forum area above....just saying....

riot

I know I'm new to this game but two things scream Rogue Trader to me; one is mutants (because I grew up reading 2000AD and the real threat of nuclear apocalypse), the other is Dr. Gostellos Amazing intergalactiac (deliberate misspelling) psycho-circus (because it's nuts)!

I have always wanted to combine the two and I think I have finally meet the nut cases who could make this happen.

I am happy to create the circus and will base it on the circus from Dumbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRJG5lGojsI

I already have a ring master and some killer clowns on the go.

With regards to other players I am proposing rolling up 12-15 mutations (not figures) on the RT mutant table and then converting, painting etc your mutant warband to raid the circus for popcorn, candy floss etc.
The average roll on a D3 for 15 mutations works out as an average of 7 or 8 figures, which I think is doable by next BOYL.

There will be secret mission cards etc as the game goes on.

Will set a time limit of 2 hours and then the rescue party of Space Marines (Beakies of course) turn up and kill EVERYTHING!!!!

Chico

For the next one I'm looking for a partner to team with to run/prep/take the pressure of helping with a Judge Dredd game.

I was thinking of doing the Judgement Day story arc with Sabbat and his legion of zombies, ideally I'd provide all minis (Unless players wish to use theres) and my partner the terrain.

4-8 players total.

I'd also like to do some oldbowl again and get some Fan gaming in with my Fimir.

Erny

Here is my suggestion: THE BFG. The Big F**king Game. I like big games that last several days I’m sure I’m not the only one that likes to see a table heaving with lead. I propose we aim for a two dayer, Friday to Saturday leaving Sunday clear for something else. Not simply a bring it along and chuck it on the table game either but well thought out, units get booked in before had and a simple narrative added, objectives given out to individual players and lavish terrain made. Oldhammer day is about many things but one of them is spectacle. This game should make people drop their jaws in amazement and really show off our collective abilities.

As to subjects for the BFG, we could go esoteric:
A giant Elves vs Elves, who has done that before?
OR
The usual:
Chaos Vs good?
OR
Literary:
Battle of five armies anyone?
OR
Classic:

BFG.png

Chico

Or everyone bringing their Fimir Clans to form a large raiding party against a walled town/city like Marienburg filled with Elves/Dwarfs/Humans with the city getting reinforcements from the seaport and the Fimir/allies from the Swamps.

My suggestion was going to be an RT game with folks bringing along a Big game hunter and a couple of helpers who have organised a safari on a death world. Ricardo P Randson has organised the whole shebang and promised an exciting time. Everything is going swimmingly until some eldar protesters show up and start causing bother. And how many dinosaurs did you say there would be? How big were these dinosaurs you mentioned? Did you say something about deadly plant life? What do you mean indigenous life forms? Who is that screaming?

Just John

whiskey priest":2exj656f said:
My suggestion was going to be an RT game with folks bringing along a Big game hunter and a couple of helpers who have organised a safari on a death world. Ricardo P Randson has organised the whole shebang and promised an exciting time. Everything is going swimmingly until some eldar protesters show up and start causing bother. And how many dinosaurs did you say there would be? How big were these dinosaurs you mentioned? Did you say something about deadly plant life? What do you mean indigenous life forms? Who is that screaming?

That does it for me. Captain Jameson an infamous Leprecian cad could probably do with a break from attempting to exterminate an entire species of space rats. A spot of big game hunting sounds perfect.

Back