BOYL 2016- silly games of Chaos warbands?

Im not going to bring any stuff to play but wanted to make a comment about playing warbands: scenarios make the game playable!

This seems obvious, but the warbands can be really unevenly matched. Its a good idea to "self balance" players, by having specific objectives and putting out troops to fit.

One warband huge with a very powerful champion? Ok, the smaller weaker warband does a night raid, with the powerful warband asleep with sentries.

One player has a game breaking champion? CHamion is frozen in a bllock of chaos-ice and his warband must free him to win.

SO what I am saying is both players should look at their warbands and work out a scenario that gives them each a fair chance. Players should be prepared to have models "sit out" of a game to even the playing field.

Matttp

Alright Dude. Can't get there until Saturday (can't get away from work early) but have got the RoC books to put one together. It might be a bit of a fudge but if it looks OTT I'll be happy to tone it down.

Bane

ramshackle_curtis":14p25gr8 said:
Im not going to bring any stuff to play but wanted to make a comment about playing warbands: scenarios make the game playable!

This seems obvious, but the warbands can be really unevenly matched. Its a good idea to "self balance" players, by having specific objectives and putting out troops to fit.

One warband huge with a very powerful champion? Ok, the smaller weaker warband does a night raid, with the powerful warband asleep with sentries.

One player has a game breaking champion? CHamion is frozen in a bllock of chaos-ice and his warband must free him to win.

SO what I am saying is both players should look at their warbands and work out a scenario that gives them each a fair chance. Players should be prepared to have models "sit out" of a game to even the playing field.

Agreed on scenarios (I've got a couple ready to play with multiple warbands and the LatD has a load to generate from) but imo it's the job of the GM to make some attempt to balance the warbands out if there are huge discrepancies. Also sometimes it's fun to punch up against a mightier warband..

Bane

Matttp":1fimi7ry said:
Alright Dude. Can't get there until Saturday (can't get away from work early) but have got the RoC books to put one together. It might be a bit of a fudge but if it looks OTT I'll be happy to tone it down.

Don't worry about toning it down, go with what looks and feels cool to you and what you'll have fun playing with. Personally I'll make a few rolls, fudge it a bit and then somehow shoehorn my favourite miniatures in! Hopefully the scenarios will be the leveller...

Yes we will sort it all out. We can adjust starting forces if necessary. I also have a few independent characters and chaos spawn who can be added in if required.

I am on the train to Newark.

I have the 2 realm of chaos books with me. I dont have the 3rd edition or warhammer armies books with me nor do i have dice (although i may be able to buy some in newark). I have 1 piece of terrain - a largish monolith which will feature in one of the scenarios I have planned. I ll be available all day saturday.

Bane

I've got all the books we need, plus dice, models and a load of scenery. I'll be traveling up tomorrow, so see you on Saturday morning.

Matttp

Bane":2vc4yp0l said:
Matttp":2vc4yp0l said:

Don't worry about toning it down, go with what looks and feels cool to you and what you'll have fun playing with. Personally I'll make a few rolls, fudge it a bit and then somehow shoehorn my favourite miniatures in! Hopefully the scenarios will be the leveller...

Ace, I'll do that (Also I love Fudge :grin: ).

VanLoon

Many thanks for running the game Bane.

It was a pleasure to play in - great models and great terrain.

Bane

VanLoon":1kygzpic said:

Thanks to you Greg, Ian and Steve (weismonsters) for bringing such stunning models and a fun attitude to the table, it made for such an enjoyable game, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've written up a report if anyone's interested, hopefully I've been accurate in my recollections of the game:
http://thelostandtheverydamned.blogspot ... t.html?m=1

mubo

Bane":amb7ie61 said:
VanLoon":amb7ie61 said:

Thanks to you Greg, Ian and Steve (weismonsters) for bringing such stunning models and a fun attitude to the table, it made for such an enjoyable game, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've written up a report if anyone's interested, hopefully I've been accurate in my recollections of the game:
http://thelostandtheverydamned.blogspot ... t.html?m=1

Great report! Really nice narrative and fantastic minis. Shame I missed this, but too busy playing Advanced Hero quest... You guys seemed to really enjoy it. Mark's scenery is lovely, unfortunately we didn't take any photos either!

I didn't connect that you (Stuart) were Bane. Are you the chap that did all that great mutant villager stuff? If I'd have known that I would have bugged you to bring it all...

Back