Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Final Few Hours)

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Wave....Characters

Better pictures:

The Customs Officer and the Mayor...

CUS PEN front_zps7tyg7qup.jpg

CUS PEN rear_zpsv2qs3jiw.jpg

Joe and Kaero and the Priest....

JOK PRI front_zpsjbqmccbg.jpg

JOK PRI rear_zpsn1lewi3n.jpg

The Merchants Bodyguard and the Tracker....

LIZ TRA front_zpsjq41vl4v.jpg

LIZ TRA rear_zpsijjsgvmu.jpg

The Bounty Hunter and the Noif Herder....

BHU NHE Front_zpsnuwkmsgu.jpg

BHU NHE Rear_zpsychntg4r.jpg

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Mayor)

The first in a series of short articles on the individual 'pairs' in the campaign.

I wanted to start with this fella and his mate as I really enjoyed making them.

My intention was to make all of the sculpts featured in the campaign as generic and useful as possible and he is no exception. Being his clothing is not particularly 'futuristic' ensures that he can be used pretty widely.

I intend to use him in several ways: As a Criminal Mastermind in my Strange Aeons and Pulp games, he would also work well in future 'gangster' type games.
I am sure a few could find use for him in Superhero settings as well....

The Mayor and Mechanical Bird.

da0f352d-3c3f-4a42-a71c-9b1245f8987b_zps6wlspyis.jpg

In my Outland setting he shall appear as follows:

Pierre Eduard N'Guin

The controversial Mayor of Copperpot, the industrial region of the capital city of Landfall.
The area is called this due to the number of foundries and smelting plants that dominate the borough.

He is also rumoured to be behind many criminal activities in the city, a claim he strenuously denies.

His mechanical bird that accompanies him everywhere has an inbuilt force field shield generator that protects him against any attacks on his person. It is also rumoured that the umbrella he carries is not just to protect from any inclement weather, but is a cunningly disguised laser weapon.

Rumours that, under that outfit, he has several cybernetic implants are unsubstantiated at present.

Loved by some and feared by others, he is one of the most well known characters in the region and the cause of much media attention.

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (Joe and Kaero)

The second pair to get some attention in this series are the engineers, Joe and Kaero.

I knew that I wanted to make an engineer as part of this Phase and felt that a large tool of some sort should feature on one of them, hence the adjustable spanner.
It just seemed to fit in the retro vibe that I was aiming for and would also prove a bit of a challenge to make.
Once I had made it I figured that if anyone was going to use that thing they would need some form of augmentation to be able to lift it, therefore the bionic limbs.
Going for a mismatched pair, with one particularly large hand seemed a more interesting prospect than having them both the same.

As for the other member of the team an alien partner just felt right.
Some of the best partnerships in sci-fi seem like an odd couple, right?

I enjoyed making these two as some aspects of the putty pushing would be more of a challenge to get right and I really enjoyed sculpting those big toes.

The wrench wielder will fit right in in pretty much any spaceport, mechanic team or salvage crew, whereas the hairy fella will also be seeing service in other games too: A Missing Link in Strange Aeons and as a Yeti or White Gorilla with the right paintjob....

Joe and Kaero.

5b97640e-b280-4875-895a-e27b6f7c03bb_zpshlkflzij.jpg

Their bio in Outland is as follows:

Joe and Kaero are well known team around the docking bays of Landfall, their skills often sought out by Ship's Captain's who need a fix, and quick.
There is often some confusion over which of the pair is 'Joe' and which is 'Kaero' as they always work as a team but those in the know are aware the Kaero is the human. What many do not know, though, is that Joe is very much the boss.
His amazing ability to repair just about anything mechanical, with those long dexterous fingers (and sometimes toes!) of his are often a marvel to behold to watch at work.
Due to his apparent lack of language skills it is Kaero that does all the talking, and boy can she talk?!?
Nattering away at a serious rate of knots, she is often mistaken for someone a little simple-minded but she is a serious negotiator, and many a client has found themselves agreeing to pay more than they first thought they would be.

What very few people know is that the pair were brought together when Joe found a seriously injured young lady in the wreckage of a vehicle that appeared to have been the victim of a slaver attack.
The slavers must have decided that she would not be worth the trouble and left her to her fate as she had suffered terrible wounds to her limbs.
Joe saved her life and tended to her many wounds and the two have been inseparable ever since.
It was he who made her cybernetic arms and attached them to her mangled body.
He also eased her traumatised brain and is in the process of teaching her everything he knows.
Her training is coming along very well and she has a well deserved reputation as a truly fine mechanic in her own right.

If you are in Landfall and you need something fixed, you know who to seek out.

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Customs Officer)

Next is that cuddly duo, the Customs Officer and his 'companion'.

Another non-combatant that I fancied making was someone who would probably pass almost unremarked upon in society but whose role would be vital for things to carry on as 'normal'.
There also seems to be a need for more unarmed civilians going about mundane daily tasks in the market as there seems to a bit of a lack of these types.
I also fancied doing a bot or droid as it would make a nice change, hence the birth of the these two.

The human figure should be able to work in a wide variety of roles as any kind of technician type in a vast number of settings, be it a spaceport, exploratory team or even a mega city of the future.
Of course, his companion should work in an even wider variety of roles given its generic nature.

The Customs Officer and Sensor-Bot

c924e4ed-c110-47a0-a903-9c0e1ed82359_zpsmccczhtk.jpg

In the Outland setting the pair will operate as follows:

Officer DI-88-LE is stationed at the main starport of Landfall, working in the many docking bays checking cargo manifests and monitoring the import of goods to ensure that everything is above board and legal.
Wearing a heavy duty armoured overcoat that contains many inbuilt devices it also provides a good degree of protection should there be any incidents.
One of the most obvious features in the suit is the translation device attached to the collar to enable him to communicate with the varied species that utilise the facility as well as ensuring that he can keep in constant connection with the rest of his department and Spaceport Security.
He also has cybernetic aural implants to aid communication and also protect him from any concussive assault on his senses.

His constant companion in his duties is his sensor-bot, SN1-FF-3R, who he keeps up a constant barrage of binary cant with whilst going about their duties.
They may suffer from a distinct lack of personality and social skills but between them they perform an excellent job maintaining the security and upholding the service of the Customs section in Landfall spaceport.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64 ... rs-phase-2

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Priest)

Next up is the Priest and his bodyguard hound.

I call him a Priest but I actually just wanted to make an unarmed robed figure for the range that could be used in a variety of different roles, merchant, official, or pretty much whatever you want as anyone can take a wander in a robe, not just followers of hokey religions.
I simply wanted a character as versatile as possible who would be easy to convert with the addition of a bag, holster or something in his hand and he can be just about anyone you fancy.

It was pretty much the same with the Cyber-Hound, I just wanted to make another variant that could be added to the pack.

The Priest with Cyber-Hound Bodyguard..

6acd7740-b520-435c-9cee-49793e289890_zpsdqu3s92q.jpg

In Outland:

This mysterious robed figure that wanders the streets of Landfall is known locally as 'The Priest'.
Nobody knows exactly what he is doing in Landfall.

Some say he is a Priest of a long dead hokey religion.
Others that he is a representative of a mysterious clandestine organisation.
Some even speculate that he is a spy for the Empire of Man.

Whatever the truth is, he can always be seen accompanied by his Cyber-Hound, chatting amiably with all and sundry.

What is his real purpose in the city?
Nobody knows for sure, but everybody seems to have their own theory.

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Noif Herder)

On to the Noif-Herder and accomplice....

This thinking behind this fella was for a frontiersman of the future, living on a planet in the far-flung reaches of the galaxy.
He is dressed in a style reminiscent of an Old West cowboy with waistcoat, hat, neckerchief and heavy duty boots.
I decided to 'arm' him with a futuristic cattle prod which is cast separately to enable it to be swapped out for another item or weapon, this way the powered prod could be used on another figure too, if you choose to.

His companion is a heavy duty variant of a Cyber Hound, sporting additional padded armour sections.

The Noif-Herder with Herd Dog

5a893d94-2787-4c55-baec-0eef13626caa_zpsueylnvfh.jpg

On Outland there are great herds of Noifs, massive herbivores which provide a large part of the meat portion of the settlers' diet. These huge creatures are huge, slow and lumbering but can be exceedingly dangerous if roused, due to their bulk, especially if they stampede.

Controlling these herds are a hardy bunch of souls who sport hard wearing, practical clothing suited to the job, especially their boots, which are designed to withstand the pressure of a fully grown Noif standing on them. They are equipped as standard with 'Pokers', powerful cattle prods, which carry a charge strong enough to stop a charging bull in its tracks, and can easily stop the hearts of lesser creatures.

One example of this hardy breed is Hans Ono and his faithful Hound Louis, who travel the plains across the Northern continent bringing their charges to Landfall for slaughter.

This scruffy looking Noif Herder has a reputation as a bit a scoundrel and ladies man who, it is rumoured, does not object to a little bit of smuggling as a sideline.
Louis has often been needed to get Hans out of a sticky situation that his wilful nature has gotten him into.

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Reptilian Alien)

This chap was intended to work alongside the reptilian Merchant from the Porters Pack.
A bulky fella armed with a simple staff seemed to be the order of the day with no visible firearms to keep him fairly generic.
He could fill a number of roles like this, as a 'pilgrim', monk or traveller as well as in his 'named' bodyguard role.
It was also a bonus to expand upon the reptile-like race created with the Merchant.

The Skin-Dog' was designed to provide an alternative beast to the Cyber-Hounds, being unarmoured and quite slim with thick. saggy skin hanging in folds on his frame.
He should make a decent companions to all kinds of types, as I certainly do not envisage everyone wanting to use these figures in their allocated 'pairs'.

The Reptilian Alien with 'Skin-Dog'

2374966d-721d-4521-ab51-b9e97393ac03_zpsokufhqiw.jpg

Outland has a variety of non-human races settled upon it and this Reptilian is a good example of one of the more common.
Being naturally strong and muscular with powerful claws he makes an ideal bodyguard for the merchants that he often accompanies.
His real name is unknown to those in the market areas of the city, his native language being rather unpronounceable to the human tongue, he has come to be known simply as 'Boss' to the other toughs who work the area.
His speed and reflexes belie his size and bulk. Swift to use his staff when called upon,which is probably preferable to those struck as the other option would be being assaulted by those viscous claws.

He is accompanied around town by his equally alien 'Skin-Dog', who he utilises to bring down any prey that is too fast for him to catch.

Available for hire to the highest bidder, this pair are an excellent security option for those in need of protection.

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Reptilian Alien)

The tracker....

This is one of my personal favourites in this release as I was particularly happy with the sculpting on her.
In particular, I am very pleased with how the clothing and the backpack she is carrying came out.
She the first figure that will lead on to a future expansion featuring Government 'Commandos'.

The Stealth Pattern Hound is another variant of the standard hound featuring smooth armoured plates and an inbuilt tracking device.

The Tracker with Stealth-Pattern Cyber Hound

efc0df0e-4e14-43bb-b9fc-8e14a42feb9b_zpscdqm5ygm.jpg

Ranger Raye is an expert tracker and scout currently serving with the 7th Ranger Company of the Outland Security Forces.
More at home in the dense woodlands of the Northern continent or the deserts further South than while in garrison at Landfall, she can move almost silently through the trees and dunes leaving no trace of her passing.

She is usually accompanied by her Stealth-Pattern hound 'MU-TT-L33' who is equipped with chameleon-like armour plates that enable him to be all but invisible in any surroundings when still, and an enhanced nasal tracking device that can seek out chemical traces as well as biological scents.

The Fat Git

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Tracker)

I must admit, I really like the back storis you're giving each model. Certainly makes them more interesting.

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Tracker)

The Fat Git":9d8met5v said:
I must admit, I really like the back storis you're giving each model. Certainly makes them more interesting.

Thank you, sir.
There is one last bio to come, the Bounty Hunter.
:)

Mason

Re: Outlanders: The Second Phase (The Bounty Hunter)

Desert nomads are a theme in many sci-fi settings so this chap will be the first in a series of desert dwellers as I intend to expand him into a faction. Long flowing robes and breathing apparatus will be a feature on all.
This particular chap will be either the leader of that faction or a burly warrior/bodyguard type.

His companion is a hardy and muscular desert dog that also functions as his 'mule', carrying all of his personal equipment for him.

The Bounty Hunter with 'Mule'.

b3a7ba15-5ece-41f9-82c7-aa2e2de20f32_zpsssgqmev1.jpg

On Outland:

Tuss-Ken is a member of one of the mant desert nomad tribes that populate the Southern wastes. He is a well known character within the criminal and law enforcement societies of Landfall as his services are often sought out from both sides of the law.
If someone wants somebody 'found' in the Southern desert they know who to call.

He is accompanied at all times by his 'mule' which carries his equipment for him. Not many know that the 'mule' is actually a viscous, massive hound that can shrug off the robes and packs he carries quite easily and chase after Tuss-Ken's pray at command should the need arise.

Back