Kickstarter: Lone Wolf Skirmish Boardgame live!

Zhu Bajie

Old school (think it's basically Cry Havoc).

158079d4ca29b262301fbaf01528bfb3_large.jpg

b148c073bb5548727544458734e706b1_large.jpg

$50 USD / £30 get the core game.

Linky: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... board-game

There's also a beta rulebook and a sample scenario downloadable from the KS.

Sir Knight

Hello, this is the person who set up this Kickstarter. Thank you very much for posting about us! I also saw the older discussion during our Kickstarter project's soft launch. After the helpful feedback from folks like you, we've done our best to focus the page on the game's strengths and offer the highest value in the game set that we can, with 80 hand-drawn playing pieces and many other features.

The project has since been updated with add-ons and more information. Gary Chalk is releasing his first-ever artbook as an add-on reward, compiling 120+ pages of work from Redwall, Lone Wolf (of course), and the other classic worlds he's illustrated. Just in case his Warhammer work wasn't to your interest, we've been posting evidence of how Gary's art has only improved in 30 years.

Zhu Baije noted a similarity to Cry Havoc. Before we launched, we had a serious conversation over whether our board game could be connected to Cry Havoc; in the end, it's its own creature. Lone Wolf has a streamlined wargame system, stand-up pieces, a grid map, and all the mechanics that the latter entails. We hope you'll take a moment to look at what it has become, share the free downloads, and pledge if you can. Thanks for reading!

Some more images:

Box cover

Some of the pieces of the print-and-play demo (final game involves no folding . . . )

Piers B

Make miniatures for it and I will eat it up.... love to do it as a table top game.

Looks great but with that artwork, anything will.

Sir Knight

You can certainly use these pieces as you see fit: we've had a number of people commenting on how grateful they are that they can put good-looking pieces straight into play and don't have to "paint the miniatures." (Don't get me wrong: painting miniatures is awesome, and our backers agree. But they'll also note it's a relief to get a finished product for once.)

And hey, thanks for the vote in the art! We hope people enjoy the project, and particularly we want to keep Gary's 2-D artwork front and center. Miniatures are always an idea for development, but if 3-D were the end goal then your 2-D work would just be quick drafts: you wouldn't pour in all this time, money, and love. Gary's art is much of what defined Lone Wolf all those years ago, and we're so glad to see an entire new game of it!

Sir Knight

Hello, all. Lone Wolf - The Board Game is into its final week with over 2/3 of its funding goal. Now is the time we most need your help to bring this game to life!

If you don't know what's so interesting about one fantasy world out of many, I wrote an essay that's turned out popular:

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/45115 ... aying-that

It's more than just a board game on offer. We posted about Gary Chalk's artbook before (covering classics like the Redwall series), and we're also offering Autumn Snow, a new official gamebook spin-off of the original Lone Wolf gamebooks. Since the 1980's, gamers wondered about female "Kai Lords," and the question remained mostly unanswered since Lone Wolf was the last to survive: now Autumn Snow will burst onto the scene!

(Edit: We've made a retraction here. The project will not include any board game content based on Autumn Snow, but will include her gamebook as stated.)

But the opportunity will be gone after December 5, so please take a look, share your thoughts, share the project, and pledge if you can:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1615043334/lone-wolf-the-board-game

Thank you yet again!

Sir Knight

Thanks for your interest! As stated in this graphic

. . . the artbook is not yet prepared. But for now, that's Lone Wolf - The Board Game art on the right and in the background, and Gun Dogs on the left. We've been chatting with Gary about not only giving Redwall its due sections, but using pieces as smaller incidental art around the book. Imagine, say, a little mouse peeking out from the corner of a page or on the cover!

And I'm really sorry to have to post a retraction, but I've edited the above post. The project will not include any board game content based on Autumn Snow, but will include her gamebook as stated. As I'm about to send out in a project update, Autumn Snow belongs in the "New Order" of the Kai: a scenario that we may very well develop in the future (all parties are interested). We are looking into alternatives to offer for now.

Fimm McCool

Pledged for the book. I get the reason for withdrawing Autumn Snow, but is it really that big a deal? What if Lone Wolf hadn't been the last of the Kai? What if some other novice had been sent for firewood when the monastery burned? I see no reason for not having another, female Kai figure.

And as an aside. I always preferred the blue covered Lone Wolf books (which is why I have those versions on my bookshelf), any idea who the artist was for those?

Sir Knight

. . . And DONE! We've finished the campaign for Lone Wolf - The Board Game with full funding and one unlocked stretch goal, all thanks to folks like you. Fimm McCool: we know how important a female figure is, and we're trying to make up for the flub. And it is in fact a flub: if we were doing an "alternate reality" sort of game, we would pitch it as such, but otherwise Autumn Snow belongs in "New Order" dedicated content.

For the "blue covered" books, are you referring to the Red Fox edition? A search suggests Peter Andrew Jones did the covers. You can look at the listings here and confirm if this is on track:

http://www.gamebooks.org/show_series.php?id=228

Either way, I wanted to thank you all very much for your ear, support, and/or patience as we spread the word about this campaign. Now we begin the work that your money makes possible. If you're coming across this thread for the first time, you may find more information on the official page:

http://www.lonewolftheboardgame.com

A proper website will be set up there once the game goes on general sale, which we hope to be no later than November 2015.

Thanks for an exciting and successful month! Onward!

Fimm McCool

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing this come to life!

Sir Knight":1h5g3sr8 said:
For the "blue covered" books, are you referring to the Red Fox edition? A search suggests Peter Andrew Jones did the covers.

These ones:
lonewolf01brf.jpg

Zhu Bajie

That certainly looks like PAJ. I'm a fan otherwise, but for Lone Wolf's quasi-medievalism give me Gary Chalks crumbling textured inkwork any day of the week!

BTW. Well done on funding and reaching the stretch goal. Looking forward to getting the game next year!

Back