Oldhammer Ahoy Rules

Harry

I have started a new thread for the rules.
This from Norse. (Chris)

We finally have the rules and scenario finished. The relevant documents can be found here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4l79is ... ammer_Ahoy

The rules are mostly the same as the ones in the General's Compendium. They have been fairly heavily altered to meet the needs of the scenario however. Turns are simultaneous for example, and boarding actions have been simplified.

The rules document is in two parts. The first part is the general rules everyone needs to know. The second part is the specific rules for different kinds of ship (sailing, rowing etc) - you only need concern yourself/print out the relevant section that applies to your ship.

The Doom Carrier is an example of a custom ship design.

Both documents are supplied in pdf and odt format so that you can print them out for your own reference, or edit them using Open Office or similar program to easily make up your own ship sheets if you like.

The scenario does not need a referee. However, I will be on hand to answer rules questions and so on.

Any questions?

Harry

Daft rules are encouraged.

On that topic please see these rules much like the pirate code and more as 'guidelines'.

If you have a crew of 50 Snotlings when for a medium size boat it says 24 .... No problem ... come up with some daft rules to balance it.

If you have already modeled on to your ship matching bolt throwers forward and aft and it says only one war machine ... don't worry about it. As long as something isn't totally over powered then its all good.

If you think your creation might be a bit overpowered just come up with some daft rules so that it is likely to blow a hole in your own ship as someone else's ..... and you are all set.

I have five wood elves in a canoe. I don't fancy their chances. I am struggling to come up with an idea to give them 'something' ...anything to give them a bit more surviveability. Any suggestions?

Thantsants

A large Sea Serpent tagging along underneath them - flipper style?

Either that or name the boat Rainbow Warrior so that whatever happens you can feel morally superior to everyone else. Should be some good bonuses against Fimm's fossil fuel powered Iron clad ;)

Norse

Wot Harry said :)

Ship building stuff is just guidelines. Just be sensible. And daft. Daft is good.

I'm liking the Rainbow Warriors idea! Also because you're a small boat with high initiative count figures, being a Sneaky Git will probably work out quite well for you. Just avoid Sea Monsters! Can you fit a wizard in it, Harry?

Harry

Norse":1meizzg4 said:
Wot Harry said :)

Ship building stuff is just guidelines. Just be sensible. And daft. Daft is good.

I'm liking the Rainbow Warriors idea! Also because you're a small boat with high initiative count figures, being a Sneaky Git will probably work out quite well for you. Just avoid Sea Monsters! Can you fit a wizard in it, Harry?
I love the rainbow warrior idea as well ... you will see it in the hair colours. :grin:
I figure because they are there saving the whale they will neither attack or be attacked by sea monsters. :grin:
There you go .... daft special rule to give them an edge.

Yes ... I was going with a wizard ... and probably a shapeshifter so i can launch a grizzly bear or a wild cat as part of a boarding action. :grin:

Norse

Hmm. That could work. I kind of think one of the elves should have to sing to the sea monsters to prevent them attacking them though.

Harry

Norse":1fuculnp said:
Hmm. That could work. I kind of think one of the elves should have to sing to the sea monsters to prevent them attacking them though.
Maybe it only works some of the time .... I can roll a dice .... on a 1 or 2 they don't like my singing and attack anyway. on a 6 not only do they not attack but I can command them to attack a boat of my choice. :twisted:

Maybe it only works on fish based monsters .... Sharks, Whales, Nibbli's giant scary fish .... but nothing stops THE KRAKEN!!!!! :shock:

Fimm McCool

As you'll know, I'm bringing 5 ships and crews to play Ahoy...

To encourage players to captain one of these fine vessels I am adding my own treasure in the form of Oakbound Chests.

Each of my ship's rosters will have this logo and a little model chest on board. Should the crew of one of these ships lose a round of boarding the attacking crew will snatch the chest. The captain of whichever ship the chest ends up on at close of play on Saturday and Sunday will receive a mystery reward. At the start of Sunday's gaming the chests will reset to their original vessels. All chests have the same treasure within, so if you pay attention on Saturday you'll know what you can win on Sunday!

Attachments

• chest.jpg
    chest.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 3,790

Harry

Sounds great.

I had a similar idea. i have a big chest. ... that sounded wrong ... I have a miniature chest ... oh you know what I mean. That I thought could be passed from boat to boat in a similar fasion and whilst it confers some bonus .... you don't want to end up with it as it cotains cursed gold or some such idea.

I also have six Barrels ... they are bigger than warhammer size and can contain ... stuff ... they are about an inch across.
I was thinking that you could put some of your different coloured gems in them so folks could collect a piece of physical treasure from the barrel as they visit each island.

OR the barrel could contain a rolled up scroll with that islands "secret" so they read it then roll it up and pop it back in the barrel for the next guys.

Over th you boys.
I'll paint um ... you come up with something fun.

Chris I also have a BIG shark, A Giant Crab, a BIG fish, a Ginat Octopus , a shark man .... and the KRACKEN.
So we can roll a D6 for which one you get.
I really think we should come up with a special rule for each that makes them a bit more special .. fun. rather than just being ... a monster.

I also thought that someone should have THE BLACK SPOT which attracts the Kracken if it is in play.
Anyone fighting the captain in hand to hand can be passed the THE BLACK SPOT to another player.

Just ideas.

Harry

Apparently the rules have been downloaded 70 times. :o Thats a lot of boats. :grin:

If anyone has any feedback on the rules we are getting in a final playtest of the rules tonight.

Anything you think we need to take a look at please shout!

Erny

Hello all, I thought I'd post my ideas for my ship here becasue to be honest I'm struggling. If I were doing a goblin or skkaven ship I would be able to think of any number of fun rules that cuased as many problems as bonuses. But Sea elves are not comedy gold, they are the perfect sailors with the best ships and pretty much rule the seas of the warhammer world. So to my ideas:

Aquatic:

Sea elves are born to the sea and are superb swimmers able to hold their breath for extraordinary lengths of time. For rules purposes they count as aquatic.

This is pretty much straight out of the big orange book, sea elves swim.

Wardancers:

Sea elves use wardancers as boarding parties and can use wardancers from the woodelf list.

Using the lists from 6th took away my wardancers I've been painting, I'd like them back.

Superb sailors:

Sea elf sailors are the masters of the sea, they handle their craft like no other and consequently may make one extra turn per 10” allotment. However this takes some handling and the minimum crew is increased by two when performing to this level. If the extra turn is used you have to use the extra two crew.

Built for speed:
Sea elf ships are constructed to run well in the water and the lanteen rigging the Sea elves use is made for speed and to sail close to the wind. Sea elf ships always add an extra d3” of movement. Simply work out the normal speed and add a further d3”. However the lighter construction of the ships reduces the damage points of the hull by 1 for dinghies and small craft, 2 for medium and 3 for large craft.
I did consider dropping the toughness of the ship by 1 but this felt like too larger cost to pay for what actually amounts to a limited bonus when all variables are worked out.

The size of the lanteen sail can also be a hindrance in a storm, square sails can be quickly reefed but the lanteen sail needs to be lowered before they are damage. If a, “Blowing a Hooligan” result is rolled sea elf ships must spend an extra turn sorting out damage and reorganising the rigging.

Warmachines:

Sea elves do not use gunpowder weapons even on their ships and rarely employ template weapons such as stone throwers. They do however use beasts such as giant eagles to either fight directly with opposing crew or to drop missiles. Missiles dropped by giant eagle are more accurate than a stone thrower due to the birds advantage of flying directly over the target. A scatter dice is rolled but any deviation is by d6”, damage is caused as a three man stone thrower. The downside is that to fire the eagles must return to their ship to collect ammunition before flying back, halving the rate of fire at shorter ranges and reducing it still further at longer ranges. However the Eagle and its rider do get to make regular attacks instead of, “firing”. If a, “Blowing a Hooligan” result is rolled sea elf eagles will fly high to avoid the storm returning only when the wind has died down. A single eagle and it’s rider are not enough to explore an island though they may help a ship’s crew in this endeavour.

The rate of fire of the sea eagles is low so they are more accurate and can act in a non-warmachine way if desired, further reducing their rate of fire.

Please let me know what you think, have I over done it in my zeal to portray the elves as masters of the ocean?

Golgfag1

Well, as everybody appears to be making it up as they go along, here's my two pennies worth, I have two medium sized ships and a wreck - one ship is from the island of Nippon, off the coast of Cathay carrying two august passengers, two monks and ten armed retainers, the rest are crew lead by a captain and boson. The ship appears unarmed, apart from personal weapons carried by those on board (WYSIWYG).

Rather than use 2nd edition stats. for Nippon which are compatible with Ravening Horde (RH), I'll be using the allies list from the back of RH.

The second vessel is crewed by a group of dastards! (Not a miss-spelling, look it up) from all races and corners of the know world; who are plying a bloody and lucrative trade in the region, utilizing their skills and knowledge for the good of all aboard; again, there are no cannon or bolt throwers on the vessel, but there does appear to be a large selection of barrels! :lol: :lol: :lol: The details of which, I'll be discussing with Harry & Chris.

As for the wreck - again I'll be discussing this with Harry & Chris (Norse).

Paul / Golgfag1

Niibl

I have just finished painting my ship.
A large brute crewed by zombie pirates from the WD list.
One carronade on port an starboard and Big Bess on the fore castle.

Btw. does warmachine crew count towards the crew maximum?

Norse

Erny":3pmhlw86 said:
Hello all, I thought I'd post my ideas for my ship here becasue to be honest I'm struggling. If I were doing a goblin or skkaven ship I would be able to think of any number of fun rules that cuased as many problems as bonuses. But Sea elves are not comedy gold, they are the perfect sailors with the best ships and pretty much rule the seas of the warhammer world. So to my ideas:

Aquatic:

Sea elves are born to the sea and are superb swimmers able to hold their breath for extraordinary lengths of time. For rules purposes they count as aquatic.

This is pretty much straight out of the big orange book, sea elves swim.

Sounds fine to me. Think I'll use that for my Sea Elf Ram Ship, Plentyn y Taranau.

Wardancers:

Sea elves use wardancers as boarding parties and can use wardancers from the woodelf list.

Using the lists from 6th took away my wardancers I've been painting, I'd like them back.

Okay.

Superb sailors:

Sea elf sailors are the masters of the sea, they handle their craft like no other and consequently may make one extra turn per 10” allotment. However this takes some handling and the minimum crew is increased by two when performing to this level. If the extra turn is used you have to use the extra two crew.

I guess that's okay as long as it requires extra crew.

Built for speed:
Sea elf ships are constructed to run well in the water and the lanteen rigging the Sea elves use is made for speed and to sail close to the wind. Sea elf ships always add an extra d3” of movement. Simply work out the normal speed and add a further d3”. However the lighter construction of the ships reduces the damage points of the hull by 1 for dinghies and small craft, 2 for medium and 3 for large craft.
I did consider dropping the toughness of the ship by 1 but this felt like too larger cost to pay for what actually amounts to a limited bonus when all variables are worked out.

The size of the lanteen sail can also be a hindrance in a storm, square sails can be quickly reefed but the lanteen sail needs to be lowered before they are damage. If a, “Blowing a Hooligan” result is rolled sea elf ships must spend an extra turn sorting out damage and reorganising the rigging.

Sounds fine, as there are downsides.

Warmachines:

Sea elves do not use gunpowder weapons even on their ships and rarely employ template weapons such as stone throwers. They do however use beasts such as giant eagles to either fight directly with opposing crew or to drop missiles. Missiles dropped by giant eagle are more accurate than a stone thrower due to the birds advantage of flying directly over the target. A scatter dice is rolled but any deviation is by d6”, damage is caused as a three man stone thrower. The downside is that to fire the eagles must return to their ship to collect ammunition before flying back, halving the rate of fire at shorter ranges and reducing it still further at longer ranges. However the Eagle and its rider do get to make regular attacks instead of, “firing”. If a, “Blowing a Hooligan” result is rolled sea elf eagles will fly high to avoid the storm returning only when the wind has died down. A single eagle and it’s rider are not enough to explore an island though they may help a ship’s crew in this endeavour.

The rate of fire of the sea eagles is low so they are more accurate and can act in a non-warmachine way if desired, further reducing their rate of fire.

Okay.

Please let me know what you think, have I over done it in my zeal to portray the elves as masters of the ocean?

Sounds alright so far, but could probably do with something to represent Sea Elf haughtiness - even if it's just roleplayed. Don't make alliances with lesser races, goblins and other weaker foes are obviously beneath your notice when you choose targets, and obviously intra-species rivalry with other species of elf.

Golgfag1":3pmhlw86 said:
Well, as everybody appears to be making it up as they go along, here's my two pennies worth, I have two medium sized ships and a wreck - one ship is from the island of Nippon, off the coast of Cathay carrying two august passengers, two monks and ten armed retainers, the rest are crew lead by a captain and boson. The ship appears unarmed, apart from personal weapons carried by those on board (WYSIWYG).

Rather than use 2nd edition stats. for Nippon which are compatible with Ravening Horde (RH), I'll be using the allies list from the back of RH.

Just want to double check that you are aware we are using 6th edition rules and the Ravening Hordes book that was done for that, rather than the one that was done for 2nd edition. They're on the same scale though so shouldn't make any difference, except for some now being missing of course. Are nippon stats any different from basic human stats?

Niibl":3pmhlw86 said:
I have just finished painting my ship.
A large brute crewed by zombie pirates from the WD list.
One carronade on port an starboard and Big Bess on the fore castle.

Btw. does warmachine crew count towards the crew maximum?

Yes. The crew maximum is the maximum amount of figures the boat can hold full stop.

Addenda:

A couple of general notes for everyone -

1) Fairly obvious, but you are in charge of keeping an eye on your own special rules. Can't expect other players to remember them, so be sure to point them out when they are important.

2) No magic weapons or items, unless they are part of the way your boat works or an integral part of something. The only magic items you can use are the ones gained in play.

3) Everything will run much smoother on the day if you print out/have handy your own copy of the scenario rules and the rules for your boat. Make sure to make note of your crew's stats and other relevant information. It's not like you won't be able to play if you don't do either of these things, but it will be much easier to get to grips with if you do!

Back