Oldhammer Ahoy Rules

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2015, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Oldhammer Ahoy Rules

I have started a new thread for the rules.
This from Norse. (Chris)

We finally have the rules and scenario finished. The relevant documents can be found here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4l79is ... ammer_Ahoy

The rules are mostly the same as the ones in the General's Compendium. They have been fairly heavily altered to meet the needs of the scenario however. Turns are simultaneous for example, and boarding actions have been simplified.

The rules document is in two parts. The first part is the general rules everyone needs to know. The second part is the specific rules for different kinds of ship (sailing, rowing etc) - you only need concern yourself/print out the relevant section that applies to your ship.

The Doom Carrier is an example of a custom ship design.

Both documents are supplied in pdf and odt format so that you can print them out for your own reference, or edit them using Open Office or similar program to easily make up your own ship sheets if you like.

The scenario does not need a referee. However, I will be on hand to answer rules questions and so on.

Any questions?

Post Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: Oldhammer Ahoy Rules

All sounds pretty straightforward - just got to come up for some daft rules for my Giant-powered ship... :mrgreen:

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Daft rules are encouraged.

On that topic please see these rules much like the pirate code and more as 'guidelines'.

If you have a crew of 50 Snotlings when for a medium size boat it says 24 .... No problem ... come up with some daft rules to balance it.

If you have already modeled on to your ship matching bolt throwers forward and aft and it says only one war machine ... don't worry about it. As long as something isn't totally over powered then its all good.

If you think your creation might be a bit overpowered just come up with some daft rules so that it is likely to blow a hole in your own ship as someone else's ..... and you are all set.

I have five wood elves in a canoe. I don't fancy their chances. I am struggling to come up with an idea to give them 'something' ...anything to give them a bit more surviveability. Any suggestions?

Post Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:14 pm

A large Sea Serpent tagging along underneath them - flipper style?

Either that or name the boat Rainbow Warrior so that whatever happens you can feel morally superior to everyone else. Should be some good bonuses against Fimm's fossil fuel powered Iron clad ;)

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:37 am

Wot Harry said :)

Ship building stuff is just guidelines. Just be sensible. And daft. Daft is good.

I'm liking the Rainbow Warriors idea! Also because you're a small boat with high initiative count figures, being a Sneaky Git will probably work out quite well for you. Just avoid Sea Monsters! Can you fit a wizard in it, Harry?

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:24 am

Norse wrote:Wot Harry said :)

Ship building stuff is just guidelines. Just be sensible. And daft. Daft is good.

I'm liking the Rainbow Warriors idea! Also because you're a small boat with high initiative count figures, being a Sneaky Git will probably work out quite well for you. Just avoid Sea Monsters! Can you fit a wizard in it, Harry?

I love the rainbow warrior idea as well ... you will see it in the hair colours. :D
I figure because they are there saving the whale they will neither attack or be attacked by sea monsters. :D
There you go .... daft special rule to give them an edge.

Yes ... I was going with a wizard ... and probably a shapeshifter so i can launch a grizzly bear or a wild cat as part of a boarding action. :D

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Hmm. That could work. I kind of think one of the elves should have to sing to the sea monsters to prevent them attacking them though.

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Norse wrote:Hmm. That could work. I kind of think one of the elves should have to sing to the sea monsters to prevent them attacking them though.

Maybe it only works some of the time .... I can roll a dice .... on a 1 or 2 they don't like my singing and attack anyway. on a 6 not only do they not attack but I can command them to attack a boat of my choice. :twisted:

Maybe it only works on fish based monsters .... Sharks, Whales, Nibbli's giant scary fish .... but nothing stops THE KRAKEN!!!!! :shock:

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:56 pm

There needs to be some rules about Wildcats not liking water... :lol:

Love the sea monster rules!

Post Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:13 pm

As you'll know, I'm bringing 5 ships and crews to play Ahoy...

To encourage players to captain one of these fine vessels I am adding my own treasure in the form of Oakbound Chests.
chest.jpg
chest.jpg (123.86 KiB) Viewed 711 times

Each of my ship's rosters will have this logo and a little model chest on board. Should the crew of one of these ships lose a round of boarding the attacking crew will snatch the chest. The captain of whichever ship the chest ends up on at close of play on Saturday and Sunday will receive a mystery reward. At the start of Sunday's gaming the chests will reset to their original vessels. All chests have the same treasure within, so if you pay attention on Saturday you'll know what you can win on Sunday!
Next

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2015