Single White GM Looking for WFB3 Players

weazil

Hey all

Life, The Universe and Every-Other-Bloody-Thing have conspired against me, making my chances of landing Terror of the Lichemaster for July nothing short of heroic.

So, I've decided to abandon that (I'd rather do it properly than quickly), which means I have some time.

Now one of the things I love doing, is to try and set up narrative games. I like GMing them and I like allowing players to use the aspects of the game that are only available when a GM is about.

Now I realise that most often, the game proposer has some sort of idea which he then chucks out to the community and the community conforms (more or less) to the shape - in this case, I want to turn that around slightly, so that I can shape the game around the forces you have. I am expressly interested in the idea of people roleplaying their forces too - so this is not about allowing to nameless, faceless generals leading equally pointed up forces to face off against each other under the 'fair' eyes of a GM - this is about allowing YOU to be a character on the table and make intelligent, unbound-by-the-rules decisions about the best thing to do and have those evaluated by an engaged GM who wants an exciting narrative to be revealed through the medium of warhammer. This is about using all the weird little spells that have no obvious battlefield purpose. This is about illusions and 'most-likely' outcomes. This is about having your desire to shoot into your own troops evaluated by a GM, not the rules.

Of course, I could just put together a scenario with my own figures and invite others to play. I might even do that if nothing comes from my posts. BUT - this is your opportunity to create a custom game just for you and your opponent(s), with the right amount of up-front planning.

Anybody want some of that?

Just John

I am tempted by this - so far I haven't committed to anything apart from a game on Sunday morning. I wouldn't mind using this to finally get my halfling army painted and on the table. I'm happy to lay down the gauntlet here to an opponent and to let you take the narrative wherever you want. Any takers?

Golgfag1

Apart from the occasional game of Blood Bowl, a dalliance with Warhammer Ahoy and possibly a walk through the park with Judge Dredd, I'm free to draw together a small force of lizardmen/Slann to join-in with your endeavours.

Paul / Golgfag1

weazil

Well - that is interesting. Am I hearing some sort of halfling v. slann thing forming here? Very interesting indeed! I can most certainly work with that. Mr John - I accept. Will you be able to get your halflings ready in time?

@Citadel Collector - what sort of forces had you in mind to use?

Just John

Excellent stuff. I will definitely have a force painted in time, whether its the full army or 'balanced' I'm not sure. I'll do an inventory asap and let you know more. Its consists of halflings, treemen, eagles, gnomes and a cavalry unit of dwarves, gnomes and halflings.

PS my halflings are quite partial to some frogs legs to supplement their diet.

weazil":k2kwc2fz said:
Well - that is interesting. Am I hearing some sort of halfling v. slann thing forming here? Very interesting indeed! I can most certainly work with that. Mr John - I accept. Will you be able to get your halflings ready in time?

Haven't really thought about it yet - roughly what kind of size/points value force would you be looking for us to put together? Small skirmish? Mid-sized army? Let me know and I'll have a think.

Bane

I'm attending BOYL now (so wasn't able to commit before) but I'd be interested in some 3rd edition narrative beased games. I'll be bringing my Nurgle stuff and trying to make an army out of it. If anyone else is interested?

weazil

Citadel Collector":bk2jgl91 said:
weazil":bk2jgl91 said:

Haven't really thought about it yet - roughly what kind of size/points value force would you be looking for us to put together? Small skirmish? Mid-sized army? Let me know and I'll have a think.

I'm flexible on size - I want to enable what the players want. So, if you have an ardent desire to field greater daemons in an epic struggle against high elf dragon riders against a backdrop of legion after legion of infantry, I am as happy to facilitate that as small patrols scouting out a dangerous forest.

Obviously, the larger and more complex the force, the longer the game will be and the more likely you'll be stuck at one table for the whole day.

Without having any idea about anything, I would be inclined to look at smaller forces simply because this grants game flexibility and a low entry point for anyone to participate. So, why don't we sort of suggest something in the vicinity if 1000-1500 points? As a GM, I will shape the forces to suit the scenario, so points is not a consideration, but I appreciate it must be some sort of guideline. That said, if you have an ardent desire to field 20 chaos warriors (so, about 1500 pts), I can approach the problem from that point of view too.

The main thing I'll need from interested parties will be the list of available figures they have, together with any sort of narrative they may want to explore with those (if any, happy to make it all myself).

EDIT:

Also, I don't want people to necessarily be limited to army lists either - I'd rather people were able to play by breaking the army composition rules than were adhering strictly to some list or other. Again, the GM can help to build narrative reason as to why one army has a warmachine or a wizard or whatever it is they may otherwise not be entitled to...

Also Also, just because a figure is 'available' doesn't necessarily mean it may be used for its intention - a common example is warmachines - sometimes, the figure is required for an objective, rather than an actually unit in the game, so list of figures is more important than an army list.

weazil

Bane":z3v6iw65 said:
I'm attending BOYL now (so wasn't able to commit before) but I'd be interested in some 3rd edition narrative beased games. I'll be bringing my Nurgle stuff and trying to make an army out of it. If anyone else is interested?

Very exciting news, Mr Bane - we've all been watching with considerable interest the development of your beautiful chaos forces - I would be more than happy to oblige.

weazil

Righto, sorry for the wall of posts.

This specific one is a general response to all responders so far.

Thanks for your interest in this - it sounds like something is definitely going to come out of this, which makes me happy.

The thing that would be the most useful for me would be to get a list of available figures (not just an army list - all figures that you have that are useful - if you are in the lucky situation that you have more than any one person can list in a lifetime, I'll need you to use some judgement in editing that list).

Ideally, that list will come via PM rather than on this thread, so that any prospective opponents would have no idea what to expect (or rather, would have those expectations managed by the GM).

Extra brownie points if I can see a picture of what's available - the reason for this is that often, figures want to tell their own stories, so something that might not otherwise have much impact on a game (say, a plague cart) could actually be very useful in a narrative game.

Wow this sounds awesome. Can't wait to see what comes of all of this. Gaj you better take a bunch of pic's I smell a comic battle report in the making. ;)

Golgfag1

bump this topic, to ensure folks are aware that there are games looking for players!

Plus gives me an opportunity to posts pictures of stuff 8-)

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• temple guard & scouts7.JPG
    temple guard & scouts7.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,860
  • palace guard 2.JPG
    palace guard 2.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,860
  • temple guard & scouts6.JPG
    temple guard & scouts6.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,860
  • coldone riders4.JPG
    coldone riders4.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,860

Harry

Hi Gaj,

I would love to join you for a quiet sunday morning if there is room for a small one.
You, Steve, Paul, John, Bane .... all some of my favorite oldhammer folks ..... what could be a better way to round up the weekend.

I can bring a small force of Amazons/Norse/Bretonnians/Empire ... my nurgle stuff to go with bane ....whatever fits the story.

Golgfag1

That's the general idea, as there are so few poses with the Pre-slotta 'C' series stuff you've really got to do what you can with the paintwork, hence the explosion of colour with the miniatures.

Glad you appreciate it.

Paul / Golgfag1

Subedai":l7em3ejj said:
Golgfag1":l7em3ejj said:
Plus gives me an opportunity to posts pictures of stuff 8-)

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1
Those look marvellous, what a riot of colours!

weazil

Hi all

Just to let you know - I've finally completed a house move and am waiting for my internet connection tomorrow, after which regular communication will resume and I will start to coordinate the strands of this game together. Thanks to all!

weazil

Hi all

Just to let you know - I've finally completed a house move and am waiting for my internet connection tomorrow, after which regular communication will resume and I will start to coordinate the strands of this game together. Thanks to all!

Harry":3v9ht1t8 said:
Hi Gaj,

I would love to join you for a quiet sunday morning if there is room for a small one.
You, Steve, Paul, John, Bane .... all some of my favorite oldhammer folks ..... what could be a better way to round up the weekend.

I can bring a small force of Amazons/Norse/Bretonnians/Empire ... my nurgle stuff to go with bane ....whatever fits the story.

Not that I'm stalking you Harry, but don't forget Sunday morn is when Deathrace is on - I'd hate for you to go to some effort for both games only to find you had to make that choice on the day ;)

That being said, don't feel obligated to DR40k, there's no pressure and plenty of other racers (though I do really want to see that hover racer in action... but no pressure. But yeah. But no).

weazil

Hi chaps

General update:

Firstly, apologies for my silence. I STILL don't have an internet connection (If you're in the market for an internet connection in the UK, you'll be wanting to avoid Sky - those aren't special offers, they're just a pathetic compensation for an abysmal service...), with my mobile connection being much more flakey then I expected - I've not had any consistent connection for four or so days now. EE apparently stands for Everything Everywhere, but my experience of them is really NVME: Not-Very-Much Anywhere.

Nevertheless, I've managed to get a mobile internet connection this very evening, so an update.

I have received figure lists from all involved, so thanks very much for that. I'll write to each of you individually.

Harry's post raised a point - when do we want to play this? I have Steve & Harry are suggesting a Sunday, but I'm not sure about the others? So - Bane, Golgfag1, Just John, Weismonsters - do you guys have a preference? Are there any other games you are expressly interested in? Could we do this on the Friday? What works?

Harry - if the game is on Sunday and the good Cap'n proves unable to compel you to participate in his activity, then you are more than welcome to join. If the game is placed on the Sunday, I'll write you directly to collect the same things as I have from the others.

Thanks all! I will start constructing the scenario with what I have.

Back