Oldhammer AHOY!

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2015, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun May 31, 2015 11:04 am

Re: Oldhammer AHOY!

This stuff all looks great. I'm fighting off the urge to create a ship, but I already have more projects on the go than I can make reasonable progress with, so it's absolutely not going to happen. Looking forward to seeing these all on the table - is anyone making an ocean?

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:17 am

I'm very happy not be the one deciding the rules on this... not really bothered about the rules as I just want to build ships!

But for what it's worth:

Niibl wrote:unit strength as a measure for Crew size always was somewhat crude; a System that only worked for near equal armies.
A goblin and a chaos warrior the same unit strenght , so point values might still be better.

Not really interested in balance, since this is about silly fun for me, not about a 'fair fight' or trying to win. I'm building my armies on the basis of what makes for an entertaining crew to play with and building in special rules to handicap 'good' troops (or taking less of them than the crew max) and rules that will help 'weaker' troops. As far as I'm concerned "not taking the piss" is a better guideline than points. I think most Oldhammerers get what might not be appropriate.

Niibl wrote: I'm also not that happy about the War machine restrictions - one war machine means no stylish broad sides.
The companion's rule of allowing a number of war machines based on the size of the ship was not that bad but it had i'ts flaws too as it did not take firing arcs into account. For a modeler this was always quite irritating.

So would propose a Standard warmachine to have a firing arc of 180°which could be split up in 90° segments allowing additional war machines.
That way you could place a fixed cannon with 90° on both sides of the ship.
Allow a second 180° if no mage is used. E.g. a Dwarf ship could have 2x 180° war machines or one 360° Turret.

I agree the warmachine limit makes gunships a problem. That's why I've advocated swapping a wizard out for a second war machine allowing, as you say, two 180 degree arcs. The reason for cutting down on machine is the same as cutting crew size, the plan is to get several games in, not just one long game and limiting machines/crew speeds things up massively.

Niibl wrote:BTW. Last time I looked we only had the sunday listed for WH Ahoy and therefore signed up with some other games as alternatives.
Will be there any structure allowing to pause from the games?

There are few options on the table (actually on the floor for this I believe...). Either having a series of smaller games leading to a bigger good vs evil battle to end on the Sunday OR having a system where people can jump in as they like on one ongoing fight. The latter would be my preference. We'll have extra ships so players can sail a spare ship on whenever they want to join and leave the game once sunk or by sailing off the board to go and join another game.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:52 am

I've finnally got round to sarting my sea elf ship and I've had a right headache with it. Sea Elves are supposed to pretty much own the seas, at least around Ulthan and yet my vision of a sea elf ship is rather more Tolkien than Piarates of the Carribean or giant catamarans of 90's GW imagining. How can I have a cog armmed only with marine bolt batteries be a credible threat to a Man o' war or an Iron clad. I just cannot picture cannon being used.

Magic sure and I may go that route subbing in an extra magician instead of a cannon but one are I'd like to explore is, wait for it..a carrier based fleet, Elven sea eagle dive bombers and dargons surely have to be the way the sea elves control the seas around Ulthan and maintain their extensive trade routes free from chaos privatiers. In an age of gunpowder there has to be something that the non gunpowder maratime super power is doing! I'm looking at room on my cog for a couple births for giant sea eagles, probably with riders and using the thrid ed rules for dropping stones. If we are dealing with airships and iron clads I'm not unconvinced a long range dragon patrol isn't out of the question. All flyers to be based on suitable height flight stands with sea textured bases of course. I don't see a problem with this rules wise using third and a don't take the piss attitude but if peopke have problems I'm more than happy to abide by the majority.

Pheonix class carrier cogs for the win! You all know it makes sense.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Well since Norse is planning a Goblin Doom-Diver carrier and Andy Tidball has a Bretonnian Pegasus carrier in the pipeline I'd say you're free to go ahead! :)

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:20 pm

Great, with other carriers in the offing I think I now need to include the dragon(s). Question is to make it long range or carrier based?

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Following your chain of thought Erny, have to say I also considered the steam-powered ironclad V wind powered cog & plumped for the cog on the basis of the early iron-clads were usually flat-bottomed, based close to shore. or in river estuaries (no keels), so out in deeper water they were easily swamped in any kind of rough water; anything stronger than a 2-3 swell their going to be in trouble! (we are rolling for sea state, aren't we? :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Also, given the damp conditions on most early ships - it was usually difficult to keep gun-powder dry (lots of misfires & poor performance, hence the development of the cannonade - short ranged cannon) which led to exchanges of broadsides and boarding actions; which leads on to - why build a ship which can only sink other ships? If, your sending ships to Davey Jones locker - if, your not collecting prize money, your not going to be a popular captain - coastal defence can be the only conclusion?

As to the development of effectively - aircraft carriers - got to say I was fairly tempted myself by this, especially when I saw someone's dwarf army, with I think, 6 gyro-copters - wow, that would be fun! I put that idea to one side - as, I no longer have a dwarf army and the restrictions I'd put on myself would not make it variable - short range, limited ammo etc. due to supply being limited to what the ship could carry. The idea of flying creatures as an alternative also brings it's own problems - food, big animals tend to have big appetites, what crews going to share bunk space with a Dragon, if foods running short? :D :D :D

So, I'm tending towards a cog with a fairly useful crew and a possibly a small balloon towed behind the ship with a few small barrels of napalm & fire-arrows, which might prove interesting against the giant powered vessels, will he be ducking under the surface to put the flames out! ;) ;) ;)

Just my initial thoughts, on why I've chosen a sailing ship, now all I have to do is finish the bloody thing! :D

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Golgfag1 wrote:The idea of flying creatures as an alternative also brings it's own problems - food, big animals tend to have big appetites, what crews going to share bunk space with a Dragon, if foods running short?

That is why Sea elves are very lucky to have friendly giant sea eagles on side. If a giant sea eagle cannot feed themsleves at sea who can? I know the open oceaqn is very big but they have veruy good eyesight. This way the ship becomes nothing more than a perch for when it tires, to eat from or for the riders to mount. I'm considering births at the back for when the weather gets bad but I guess they would normally just fly above any storm. It's all thought out.

Oh and Dragons don't tire and so fly home to land.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Ah, so we're running with the idea that if it can last the weekend we're on to a winner! OK, but there's still the problem of boarding and capturing the ship, if, it's a charred ruin, it's no use nor ornament to man nor beast?

Paul / Golgfag1

[quote="Erny"

Oh and Dragons don't tire and so fly home to land.[/quote]

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Golgfag1 wrote:Ah, so we're running with the idea that if it can last the weekend we're on to a winner! OK, but there's still the problem of boarding and capturing the ship, if, it's a charred ruin, it's no use nor ornament to man nor beast?

Paul / Golgfag1

[quote="Erny"

Oh and Dragons don't tire and so fly home to land.
[/quote]

I don't suppose the sea elves are that bothered about taking goblin or chaos ships as prises. They just want control of the seas.

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Well said Erny,

Neither a truer word, I just didn't take - the general Superiority complex of Elves into account - that all other races are so far beneath their level, they wouldn't consider taking their ships as prizes.

I can now, see where the dwarfs get their opinions of elves from?
(Sorry, Erny I couldn't help myself, I just had to put that bulls-eye on your sail! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Paul / Golgfag1

PreviousNext

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2015