Oldhammer AHOY!

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2015, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat May 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Oldhammer AHOY!

Time to bring this thread to the right place! We've been discussing Oldhammer Ahoy, a grand, nautical battle of epic proprotions, over here: http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3856 and there are some great-looking ships shaping up.

I thought I'd just kick start it by putting a thread here and showcasing the work I've managed to do this week on my Chaos Dwarf Ironclad, The Cutting Snark:

WIP and step by step on the blog:

http://fimmmccools.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/oldhammer-ahoy-boyl-2015.html

Post Tue May 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Re: Oldhammer AHOY!

Fantastic stuff! And I can't even get them built in Man O'War scale.
My Oldhammer blog: The Lost and the Damned

Post Tue May 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Very nice indeed on both counts - I need me some lolly sticks!

Post Wed May 27, 2015 12:14 am

Cracking job Fimm!

Here's mine - not so much so far but at least it's a start

http://teasgettingcold.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -ahoy.html

This is what i'm aiming for!

Post Wed May 27, 2015 9:55 am

I'd be tempted to chop a chunk out of the middle of that ship too... the Time Bandits one is a bit squatter which makes it fit the head a bit neater as well as looking more olde worlde. Maybe cut at an angle so the bow raises up a bit more? Definitely looking forward to seeing how this goes, the idea's great. If only they did a decent model of this: Image

Post Wed May 27, 2015 10:56 pm

Yeah - that has been bugging me when I've looked at pics of the film version, especially it being a one master instead of two, as well as having a little house type structure for the poop deck.

I may steel myself yet to such drastic action but I have the twin demons of complacency and lack of time sitting on my shoulders, as well as a load of Hobgoblins that want painting. Keeping a straight deck cuts down on work load and makes game play much easier but hacking it to bits and rebuilding it would give my Giant the rockingest titfer at the party!

We'll see how it pans out - I searched high and low for a ship like the one you pictured but came up with zero in the size bracket I needed for the head - out of interest what is that fine ship?

Post Wed May 27, 2015 11:11 pm

It's the Durmstrang ship from the "film franchise that shall not be named", but love or hate them the work that went into those films is just breathtaking. Now that's what I'd love to be doing!

Post Wed May 27, 2015 11:26 pm

Yeah, the whole HP thing passed me by - the books swiftly followed by the films (and me a primary school teacher!), although I have seen most of the films courtesy of the wife, who is a fan. Definitely some fine craftsmen and women working on props there.

Hate to think what their commission would be...

Hurry up and get with the big studios fella and don't forget us mere mortals with some mates rates when you get there ; )

Post Wed May 27, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm not sure big studios do 'mates rates', but the very-near-future Mrs Fimm is half Kiwi, so that would make me eligible to work for Weta.... :twisted:
Next

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2015