[BOYL 15 Game] Journey to the East (3rd ed WHFB scenario)

Fimm McCool

Re: [BOYL 15 Game] Journey to the East (3rd ed WHFB scenario

Was looking forward to my Wargames Factory Orcs (hobgoblins) getting an outing, but there's no way I'm going to get them painted in two months with ships, a RT warband and a Blood Bowl Team to do as well!

Thantsants

No worries fella - thanks for letting me know.

Looking forward to seeing (and boarding/sinking?!) those ships in the flesh!

Golgfag1

I wouldn't worry too much about numbers at the moment Steve, Padre wasn't down to attend due to other commitments (So, a general gripe on his part, though I've got to say - I'd love to see those apes on the table again)), & Fimm may still surprise us all by completing all of his "to do list" (If, you want something done give it to a busy man!).

Paul / Golgfag1

Padre

Those apes haven't been on the table since that event. I have far too many armies and far too little opportunity to play to field my figures. Some armies are buried under dust. Others, not sure where I'd find them. Still, I manage my campaign (slowest game in all time) so I still have a fingerhold on the hobby.

Thantsants

Righto folks - got a bit of an update for this game.

So far there will be myself with a large force of Hobgoblins, my mate Ollie - probably with a Wood Elf warband, and Van loon and one of his mates with a small warband led by his disgraced hobgoblin Officer and a band of Ogres. Originally me and Chico had planned on some Goblinoid on Goblinoid action - still up for it fella? ;)

I've come up with a scenario that should take into account the differing sizes of the forces involved -

The Warlord Vidhal Timotei has had a very profitable campaigning season. Having absconded from the ranks of the Mournghul Horde and stabbed all his rivals in the back, Timotei had led his small army south from the Steppe, down into the Mountains of Mourn. From a lofty viewpoint in those inhospitable peaks, he led his savage Hobgoblin warriors in raid after raid against the hapless caravans that plied the Great Silk Road.

And yet all was still not well. Despite the small mountain of gold and the sweet lamentations of its former owners still ringing in his ears, the Warlord was not satisfied. That which he sought still eluded him - an elixir of almost magical qualities that was said to be traded in small quantities in the border city of Shangwang - Sham Pu. Until Timotei had a vial of this precious liquid in his possession there would be no rest for his raiders.

Unfortunately for Timotei, however, time was not a luxury he could count on. Unbeknownst to him, his enemies were slowly closing in on all sides. From the North came Og Akhutai, one of his former officers and a notable renegade, nursing both a knife wound in the back and a thirst for revenge. With him came a band of mercenaries and lowlifes, intent on getting their hands on whatever they could. From the West and a long way from home, a band of Elves hunted the Hobgoblin known as Throgg. Before joining forces with Timotei, Throgg had terrorised the Border Princes, penetrating even as far as the outskirts of the Empire and the Loren Forest. Here he had earned the enmity of the Elves through his burning and killing and had escaped their wrath - until now.

Rumour had it that there was also a very disgruntled band of Greenskin outcasts who were on the way from their stronghold in the South to investigate why their usual rich pickings on the Silk Road had dwindled to a trickle.

As the sun sinks in the West, camp fires are lit and strong drink is passed around the Hobgoblin camp. However, as the shadows lengthen and creep forward, so to do their assailants...

As my Hobgoblins are quite a large force I figured I'd make them the objective with me as the GM. As hinted at in the back story, objectives are going to include;
- Revenge - kill a particular Hobgoblin character because of past atrocities they have committed
- Rescue - rescue captives taken by the Hobgoblins - I have 4 casualties representing an Elf, a Barbarian, a Wizard and a Knight
- Rivalry - Kill the Hobgoblin leader to take over the tribe or steal all their plunder - I have a decent size baggage train including lobotomised slave ogres pulling wagons!

I've also got a big War Altar on the go which could become some kind of objective as well...

I know Van Loon's warband is around the 400 points mark so I'd suggest upping the number of characters - L5 and L10 heroes to make them a little more durable.

I'll also be setting this scenario as a night attack - most of my army will be sat around camp fires, asleep in their tents or unconscious due to drink - cue specially made random table! I envisage there being lots of rolls to test for alcoholism and stupidity as Officers and men are woken from their drunken stupor and plunged into the chaos of a night attack - providing of course, that the sentries can be bumped off!

I'm also happy to forgo the usual rules on ranking up units and the bonus that this confers - or at least treat it as a complex maneuver with a leadership penalty to simulate the difficulty of forming coherent ranks in the dark against an ambush. Included in that will be -1 to hit penalties in the first round of combat for any Hobgoblins who have been sat around a camp fire as they struggle to adjust their eyes from the brightness of the fire to the surrounding darkness. Line of sight will also be reduced and ambushers will have the option of sneaking at half move which will make them harder to spot. If and when there are multiple combats, they'll just be treated as normal in 3rd ed. with attacks being shared out as the players see fit - if you've run out of attacks you've just got to take what's coming!

All in all that should level the playing field a bit and lend itself to all sorts of shenanigans I hope! If there is anyone else who fancies jumping in then let me know - don't forget that Paul is lending us his Barbarian Horsemen.

Here's a few pics of the bits of my army I've got done -

Best get making some tents and camp fires...

VanLoon

Looks amazing so far Thantsants!

The renegade hobgoblin Og Akhutai has raided his coffers for more gold and will be able to hire more mercenaries as a result - I should be able to bring more than 400 points with me, but I'll see how much I can get painted in time.

Really looking forward to this now :grin:

Thantsants

Great news - I look forward to having a worthy opponent to face the all powerful and superbly coiffured Warlord Vidhal Timotei!

Not sure if you were aware or not but Golgfag is lending us a dozen Steppe horsemen and he has loads of the Grenadier Orc Wolfriders if you wanted to add them to your mercenary band?

Oh and I'll add the name of your renegade in - couldn't remember it at the time of writing.

I'm booked into the Electric sheep and Fallout game or I'd get my Half-orcs finished and get my Black Orcs to lead them! So tempted but I'd imagine you wouldn't want them arriving Blucher style in the last 3rd of the game.

Thantsants

I hate to rule things out and I'm sure with a bit of thought we could make their late arrival fit into the narrative somehow.

If you fancy getting them done, let me know how many are going to be turning up and I'll see what I can come up with.

VanLoon

Thantsants":3m2eaxm8 said:
Not sure if you were aware or not but Golgfag is lending us a dozen Steppe horsemen and he has loads of the Grenadier Orc Wolfriders if you wanted to add them to your mercenary band?

Thanks to Golgfag for the offer. I should have a reasonable(ish) sized force if all my painting goes to plan though. Might be good for a back up in case it all goes wrong however!

whiskey priest":3m2eaxm8 said:
I'm booked into the Electric sheep and Fallout game or I'd get my Half-orcs finished and get my Black Orcs to lead them! So tempted but I'd imagine you wouldn't want them arriving Blucher style in the last 3rd of the game.

I'd certainly like to see more half orcs joining in, late or otherwise!

Golgfag1

The Steppe warriors and Citadel & Chronicle Wolf riders will be traveling up anyway, so they'll be available to anybody who would care to use em. I'll also be bringing a crew of Half-orcs, which I'll be using in the Warhammer Ahoy game (I too think these chaps need a better press, so, am giving them a run out!) so should also be available. :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Thantsants

If everyone is bringing enough minis with them then I can always have the Steppe horsemen and wolfriders as extra objectives - can you persuade them to join your force or will they be hostile?

Golgfag1

Exchanged the bases on these chaps this morning,so they've had all day in the sun, so will suitably flocked etc this weekend, all ready for whoever at BOYL2015.

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• nomads2.JPG
    nomads2.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,773

Would it be possible to join in after the Electric sheep game, I'm guessing it'd be lunch time. I should have 22 half orcs including a shaman and a hero and 10 black orcs. I could also bring a troll and some mounted chaos thugs if they are needed.

Thantsants

You're more than welcome mate - could be interesting to have your boys come on as a trailing force to support Van Loon's Hobgoblin renegade out for revenge or would you prefer to be a separate entity in terms of the narrative of the game?

Either way there's nothing to stop you working together (or not!) and depending how you want your lot to figure in the narrative, I'll come up with a objective for them.

Thantsants

By the way Paul - where are your Steppe horsemen from.

By that I mean which manufacturer not which part of Cathay ;)

Golgfag1

Their a selection of different manufacturers - Foundry, Gripping Beast etc to give as wide a spread of poses as possible, I've about two hundred models, which act as one my generic Steppe armies, when I play ancients hence my earlier question of do you want any more.

Paul / Golgfag1

Thantsants

Ah I see - that lot will do brilliantly. Anymore and we'll a real life Mongol invasion!

Got a bit more done on my Hobgoblins - more on the blog as ever - http://teasgettingcold.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -done.html

Hobyars - +1 elite

and a nasty surprise!

War Altar pulled by a lobotomised Slave Ogre and Altar Guard

Detail on the idol and Shaman -

More lobotomised Slave Ogres pulling carts! These will be part of the baggage train -

And a small band of skirmishing archers

Nearly there... :lol:

Back