What's it called? This thing?

Zhu Bajie

I was considering going to Bring Out Your lead, but decided to go to the Oldhammer Weekender, but couldn't do the whole weekend, so went to Oldhammer Day instead.

Or, in other words, what is OAF (Oldhammer At Foundry) event actually called? Going forward, we should have a clearer identity for SpikeyDeathBrawl, or else confusion will rain supreme.

Therefore, and hencewith, I propose we have a round of suggestions for a new (or old) name for Bring Out Yer Goat (or sheep), followed by a poll (or belgian) so we can vote on the best name for the Lost Lead Weekend, then make sure we all keep calling it Susan Boyle Fest so nobody gets confused and thinks we're talking about The Robert Boyle International Day of Alchemical Fun!.

and more importantly we can, as Gaj suggests, set up a central internet enabled organisational platform and reference point.

So, suggestions please!

weazil

Cheers, Mr Zhu - good to have you on the case!

I do quite like a lead-based pun, so I'd like to see if we could do better than 'Bring Out Your Lead' (which just gets called BOYL anyway, as you've so cleverly pointed out...).

I don't like Oldhammer Day or Oldhammer Weekend. I realise that's exactly what it is, but I just feel its a lazy name.

How about 'I See Lead People' (not my own, unfortunately, but I don't know the owner of said quip)?

I suggest that Oldhammer Weekend is a very good name, for the benefit of newer members who will hear people mentioning BOYL and not know what that is and then there is a risk that the whole thing just passes them by. Whereas if someone hears mention of oldhammer weekend their interest will be aroused because that sounds like something theyu might want to go to.

antipixi

I like BOYL , but then I'm a little OCD and that's what it's been since I heared about a weekend of Oldhammering.

I also like something where any mini can be a play on the name, like last year's 'BOYLdrick' (not that I'm expecting a mini every year).

I think that giving it a section of its own on the forum (maybe called "Oldhammer Events", which to me is more specific than a generic 'wargames shows' section) would make it easy enough for new members to realise what it is.

Zhu Bajie

ardyer":22opg7ob said:
I've already trademarked Oldhammer Day for the USA, so you can't have that.

(Not really)

I know that you know that trademarks are registered by region ;)

antipixi":22opg7ob said:
I also like something where any mini can be a play on the name, like last year's 'BOYLdrick' (not that I'm expecting a mini every year).

"BOYLdrick" was something of a nickname, the mini itself, which wasn't commercially released has "Oldhammer" on it's tab.

oldhammer+goblin.jpg

but yes, punnage is good. Problem with Lead in writing is that without context it might be misunderstood as lead, and be reffering to some kind of dog-walking or BDSM meetup.

A quick google search shows:

Oldhammer: Bring Out Your Lead 27 results
Bring Out Your Lead 47 results
Oldhammer Weekend 67 results
Oldhammer Day 74 results

which vaguely indicates frequency of what's being used at the moment.

Some additional suggestions (I'm not saying these are better ):

Oldcon - isn't there a convention that gaming conventions have a pun on "con", might be a bit american?
OAF Oldhammer at Foundry - which I like as a joke but isn't necessarily futureproof.

The Oldhammer Weekend, or Oldhammer Event. I must admit that I was extremelley confused by the mix up of Oldhammer and BOYL. While BOYL is a cool name, it doesnt really sell the event, or make it easy for newbs to make the connection. But then, who cares? BOYL is easy to type and say.....

Harry

Mmmmm ...

We just got together this weekend for a an oldhammer weekend.
We meet four or five times a year for an oldhammer weekend.
I guess for some people every weekend is an oldhammer weekend ... maybe even everyday is an oldhammer day .... hunting down a mini, painting something scratch building something else, playing a game ...etc.

What happens if we start meeting up more than once each year? Oldhammer weekend 2? ... The other oldhammer day?

But this event was called "Bring out Your Lead".
For Halloween we came up with "The night of the Living Lead"

But these suggest it is all about pre-sloata Lead and it really isn't.
But then Oldhammer suggests it is all about 2nd / 3rd edition warhammer and it really isn't.

Last year we had Judge Dread, some Mordheim, some Epic ... This year we have some Warhammer Ahoy ... some home grown "Deathrace 40K" ... etc. All sorts of Games going on. It was like Gamesday used to be years ago.

But then tis forum is the oldhammer forum and it is not all about 2nd / 3rd warhammer either.

I am not helping much. :grin:

I guess I would go with ... The Oldhammer Games day.

Fimm McCool

Just 'cos I is a big Python fan I favour Bring out yer Lead...

but in the absence of Eric Idle with a cart how about
Oldhammer Foundations

Asslessman

Fimm McCool":1ddqfq5c said:
Oldhammer Foundations

Well It would lead people to believe the WE has a chalky finish and dries in no time... not the image we want :grin:

I'm for letting BOYL remain BOYL, what I think would be a good move would be to gather all (major) events (i.e. not just 2 guys gathering but big meet ups and campaigns) on one agenda where each event would have its own name (BOYL or nigt of the living lead) and a definition like Oldhammer UK Annual or Oldhammer NOGG (OGRE, FROG, whatever) event or WE... Having this in a google calendar for instance or anything else usable by both G+; Forum and FB communities would be ideal.

Zhu Bajie

Great ideas!

Just noticed that we have threads for:

Oldhammer Weekend Ireland
Oldhammer Weekend France
Oldhammer USA Weekend

perhaps we should throw a "UK" in there.

Zhu Bajie":3nhq25e1 said:
Great ideas!

Just noticed that we have threads for:

Oldhammer Weekend Ireland
Oldhammer Weekend France
Oldhammer USA Weekend

perhaps we should throw a "UK" in there.

Let's have a detailed and lengthy debate about whether the 'UK' should go after the word 'Weekend' like the rest of Europe or whether it should match America's maverick repositioning in order to stay on the cutting edge.

Asslessman

Captain Crooks":16ka8d2y said:
Let's have a detailed and lengthy debate about whether the 'UK' should go after the word 'Weekend' like the rest of Europe or whether it should match America's maverick repositioning in order to stay on the cutting edge.

No need here, kids do what grown ups do, US and australians will follow the pattern decided by old worlders that is all...

For me the Uk event is by definition THE main event (and probably the only one who will ever draw international guest) while others are just regional declination but if some want to add UK atthe end of it, that would still be an awesome event I'd like to go to.

weazil

Hi chaps

I've given this one a little time to develop, but from the small discussion that has ensued, I can't get away from the facts that Zhu has presented - more people seem to think about this as the Oldhammer Weekend (and the premier event of the Oldhammer calendar), meaning it should then be named as such.

Based on this, I'd suggest that it should be called the Oldhammer Weekend and we should just get on with it now. Are there any final objections or suggestions? I could take it to a poll, but somehow that doesn't feel necessary.

Asslessman

weazil":3da24ah5 said:
Hi chaps

I've given this one a little time to develop, but from the small discussion that has ensued, I can't get away from the facts that Zhu has presented - more people seem to think about this as the Oldhammer Weekend (and the premier event of the Oldhammer calendar), meaning it should then be named as such.

Based on this, I'd suggest that it should be called the Oldhammer Weekend and we should just get on with it now. Are there any final objections or suggestions? I could take it to a poll, but somehow that doesn't feel necessary.

Amen

Back