A Journey to the East

lenihan

For the next BOYL, I'm very keen to see some of the lesser represented regions of the Warhammer World get on the table: the steppes, through to Cathay and Nippon. I'm in the process of collecting an army of Steppe Nomads/Dolgan Raiders, and will be making an appropriate caravan train and camp for them to traverse eastwards. What I'd really like is for them to meet appropriate opponents: hobgoblins, most obviously, but also Nipponese Samurai, temple-dog riding Cathayans, anything you can think of with an eastern flavour!

We could do this either as a big setpiece battle, or as a couple of smaller linked scenarios - but I reckoned the earlier I suggested this, the longer people would have to think about potential forces. Anyone else up for this?

Chico

Well me and Thantsants spoke about doing something like this briethly at BOYL14 and on my Blog as we both have Hobgoblin forces or led forces either in the works or already done (Or in my case Outcast Greenskins).

So I'd be up for a large but manageable sized game on the Saturday.

Thantsants

I've also purchased 12 of the old ex-Citadel Samurai to field as disreputable Ronin Mercenaries with my Hobgoblins.

With the lack of mounted hobgoblins (on horseback as I feel they should be!) I'm also eyeing up some of the Steppe Horsemen from Mirliton

Perhaps with some head swaps with these Hasslefree heads?

4Ground do some marvellously cheap wagons. You may have seen my Giant riding on the Strong Box Cart (below) during the Siege game!

Nice Temple Dogs from Bushido too

Chico

Ohh very nice, will be picking up some of those Temple Dogs I think. Plus those hand swaps should work quite well with a bit of putty work for hair.

VanLoon

I was thinking of doing a smallish Citadel/Foundry barbarian force that might fit in quite well here?

I'm aiming for a Conan/steppe look to them - might add some hunting dogs and ogres too.

Fimm McCool

I've got some Wargames Factory Orcs that look suitably Hobgoblin. It depends if it's going to be small or large games though as I'm committed to the naval battle. ;)

Just John

I have a hobgoblin force that needs painting so as long as I can fit this in around the Naval shenanigans I'm in.

Chico

Those building up a Hobbo force, don't forget the Cavalade Range by Forlorn Hope.

sim6636.png

sim6663.png

I too have hobgobs to paint plus some half orcs and some black orcs and a slave ogre so just like John, if it fits in I'd love to join in.

lenihan

Yep, I also want to do navy battles, so I think this question of fitting everything in is going to be paramount.

But then I did get the impression that people didn't want to commit to the one game for 3 days?

Chico

I'm not bothering with the ship game, not my cup of tea. I'd quite like a large(ish) game with maybe 3 people a side or up too 10k a side.

Erny

lenihan":5ztomkzk said:
Yep, I also want to do navy battles, so I think this question of fitting everything in is going to be paramount.

But then I did get the impression that people didn't want to commit to the one game for 3 days?

Either that or we all start painting junks.

lenihan

Erny":1kqc657e said:
lenihan":1kqc657e said:

Either that or we all start painting junks.

Was considering going that direction for my sea elves anyway...

lenihan

VanLoon":6yx62dm0 said:
I was thinking of doing a smallish Citadel/Foundry barbarian force that might fit in quite well here?

I'm aiming for a Conan/steppe look to them - might add some hunting dogs and ogres too.

That sounds like it could work very well! I'll think about narrative/ scenario concepts much closer to the time when we know what kind of forces people are likely to bring, but I really like the sound of your guys.

Padre

I have a regiment (plus detachments) of Cathayans, and a whole army of Arabyans - but the latter are south cf east I suppose?

Grumdril

I'm definitely interested in joining in with this. Various bad influences on this forum have made me take my hobgoblins out of my trades pile and into my collecting pile, so count me in for the green (orange?) skin side.

Now, who can suggest some reasonably priced lobotomised slave orge models?

Paul / Grumdril

lenihan

Padre":xvxm1q4q said:
I have a regiment (plus detachments) of Cathayans, and a whole army of Arabyans - but the latter are south cf east I suppose?

Cathayans absolutely welcome... Arabyans maybe muddying the water a bit unless we can think of a good narrative explanation!

Back