• Welcome to the Golden Gobbo painting competition. If you'd like to read some of the ancient history you can on the Realm of Chaos 80s blog.

This competition is held some years and you'll find threads here describing how to enter and when the competition is running (typically after BOYL each year).

Other than the fame and wonderment of your peers there is often a prize kindly donated and you'll have the wonder of being awarded badges for your profile here.

Discussing how we vote for the winner

Orlygg

The time is rapidly approaching when we will need to vote for a winner and I wanted some feedback and suggestions from the community before we started. I have had a few ideas about how we could carry out the process. To be honest, transparency is the most important aspect of the Golden Gobbos, that and the fact there should be as few rules and regulations as possible so the competition feels approachable by all collectors, gamers and enthusiasts.

So here are my suggestions

1) We use this forum- just open a thread and members can vote. This would perhaps be the simplist option but would this get the same level of coverage as using a blog?
2) We use a blog post, perhaps on the Oldhammer blog, but again how many people would see this?
3) We all advertise the voting (with links on our blogs, forums etc) and vote through email to me. I'll then organise the data and publish on my blog and this forum.

Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas so we can get the voting going with the minimum of fuss in a way all members of the community are happy with?

Cheers,

Orlygg.

Thantsants

What about having the voting poll on here and advertising it through the oldhammer and our own blogs - nice and easy with maximum coverage.

Orlygg

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully Treps can set something up for us ASAP. Then the real problems begin - choosing the winner!

Do we all agree that we should only vote for others rather than our own entries?

Orlygg

That makes sense. Hopefully, Treps will be able to create a poll and reference the entries over at the Citadel Collector. I'll PM him and ask.

treps

I did promote orlyg as a moderator for the section and give him rights to do polls to on the section.

I thought that everybody could make polls but not... So if somebody needs/wants to make polls just PM me !

Bruno

Orlygg

Thanks Treps. I'll have a play with the software for a few days and set up a poll this weekend. Then the voting can commence. Any ideas how long we should keep the voting poll open?

phreedh

A week or two?

Is self promoting allowed? For instance, may I post my entry on my blog and then link to the other entries and the voting page?

Blue in VT

phreedh":29zcz6tu said:
A week or two?

Is self promoting allowed? For instance, may I post my entry on my blog and then link to the other entries and the voting page?

These are supposed to be anonymous entries...so I don't think this would be a good idea.

I think 2 weeks of voting time is plenty...1 week would probably do.

Cheers,

Blue

phreedh

Blue in VT":1hyq6cz1 said:
These are supposed to be anonymous entries...so I don't think this would be a good idea.
Really? I had no idea! Bummer about the file name of that one guy's entry then... gg_phreedh.jpg or something like that. =)

Erny

I think I know most of our painting, photogaphic and writing styles to make a fair guess at who entered what, a few mysteries but not many are truly anonymous.

Blue in VT

Well...yeah there are a few that could have been better disguised ...but I think
The idea was that it would be anonymous.

Blue

Thantsants

Oops - might have blown my cover too by posting up the special rules I added after emailing my entry in - they got missed off the pdf with the background story you see. :oops:

Anyhow I think 1 week's voting should suffice.

Erny

That's what blew your cover?

Not the miniature of a type we know your collecting, clearly painted by you, photographed on your scenery and written about in your style?

To be honest I think we would all have known from just one photo and nothing else.

Blue in VT

Howdy all!

Just wondering if there had been any progress on the deployment of a voting mechanism?

I would be happy to put together a poll if given the permission and the power... :twisted:

Cheers,

Blue

Orlygg

Sorry folks! I have a new job and things are HECTIC!
I shall see what I can do over the next few days!

Blue in VT

Congrats on the new Job!! thats awesome. :grin:

I wasn't trying to be an asshole...just wondering what the schedule was.

thanks for the update.

Blue

Back