• Welcome to the Golden Gobbo painting competition. If you'd like to read some of the ancient history you can on the Realm of Chaos 80s blog.

This competition is held some years and you'll find threads here describing how to enter and when the competition is running (typically after BOYL each year).

Other than the fame and wonderment of your peers there is often a prize kindly donated and you'll have the wonder of being awarded badges for your profile here.

Didn't make the deadline, but here are some pics.

sasori

Ok, so I tried hard, and finished off the mini, but due to lack of access to 3rd Ed rules (long story), this guy can't/hasn't been entered to this years Golden Gobbo's. Still, I wanted to share him here. C&C welcome as always.

IMG_7115.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg

Full story and a couple more pics here: http://leadandpaint.blogspot.ca/2012/09/not-golden-gobbos-2012.html.

phreedh

Nice! Two things that come to mind;
The edge of the base looks very rough and bubbly. Like it has several layers of caked up paint underneath it. Maybe it's a feature, maybe it's just the photo but I think it drags an otherwise very nice paintjob down a notch or two.

Next, you could do with some blacklining or deeper shading in certain areas. Like where the glove meets arm, or where the necklace meets skin. Same goes for the belt buckle. You could try a heavy wash there with black and then use dark grey, light grey and finally white to fill in the white areas.

All in all very nice! =)

Thantsants

Commiserations on the laptop death as you've done a good job here 8-)

Love the flowers on the base - how girly does that sound! Where do you get yours from?

I'd agree with Phreedh about the base edging and ink shading - I also mix in a bit of matte medium (vallejo) which stops the ink wash drying shiny.

I really like the paint job. I think the colors work on the over all effect. Could picture him making a challenge in some woodland glen. Nice work.

sasori

@Phreed: Thanks for the comments. Yes, the base is rather bubbled. This is due to me using a new spray can of 'ardcoat, and putting on too much. This may also be the reason for the loss of definition with some of the inking (at least as far as the photo is concerned). I do think you are right about needing a little more inking on some parts though.

@Thantsants: The flowers are from The Army Painter, as are the tufts.

@airborne: Thanks very much, he really does look like he's shouting out a challenge. Perfect for a champion in a unit.

Thehermit

i have to say i like the effect of the base, it looks like he is standing on a moss covered rock.

Great piece, did you come up with a story for him?

sasori

I have most of the story written, at least in my head, but as I mentioned on my blog, I'll save it for the next comp. Don't want to burn all my creativity if I don't have to! ;)

Back