• Welcome to the Golden Gobbo painting competition. If you'd like to read some of the ancient history you can on the Realm of Chaos 80s blog.

This competition is held some years and you'll find threads here describing how to enter and when the competition is running (typically after BOYL each year).

Other than the fame and wonderment of your peers there is often a prize kindly donated and you'll have the wonder of being awarded badges for your profile here.

GG 2018 The 4th annual Golden Gobbo: September/October 2018

Fimm McCool

The great international Oldhammer painting competition, the GOLDEN GOBBO, is on again!

You have until October 28th to post your entry. Rules (such as they are) below:

There is no theme or limit on the model you can pick, but the model must be a single fantasy or sci-fi figure (additional 'decorative' figures such as snotlings, nurglings and giant's victims are allowed) of "28mm" scale.
Remember people will be judging on Oldhammeriness so bear that in mind when choosing a subject.
One entry per member please.
The model should be based for gaming. You can put this on a display stand, but keep any decoration to the base itself.
Your model should be something freshly painted, preferably for the contest, rather than something you already have done.
You will need to supply 2-4 photos of the model against a plain background. These should show it from different angles to give the viewer an all-round view of the model.
You may supply 2 photos of the model in a scenic setting and a paragraph of no more than 100 words giving the background of the character if you wish.
Photos may be posted on this thread, we trust everyone likes everyone else enough that this will not descend into a 'popularity contest'. WIP photos here and in other areas of the forum are also welcome as an incentive to other entrants.
A separate thread will be posted on November 1st with a poll for voting. Each member will get one vote.
Voting will close at midnight on November 30th and the winner will be announced on December 3rd.
There will be a trophy and a prize for the winner, aside from the usual forum appreciation of course!

Let brushing commence!

Whitehorn

Gutlagg chosen!

WD818609p54Various-01_09.jpg

inchmurrin

Here's my entry for the Golden Gobbo an Appaloosa Chaos Minotaur. He'll end up as part of my Minotaur War Band but meantime I reckoned if it was a suitable Canadian Golden Demon winner it should be OK for a failed Golden Gobbo competitor.

1007308236_o.jpg

1007308279_o.jpg

1007308312_o.jpg

JonAtron

Entry for the 4th Golden Gobbo 2018 - Rogue Trader 40k Inquisitor from 1991 (I believe.)

Accompanying 100 word paragraph.

WiP log.

Very nice!
I`ll give it a try ;) and found it fitting to enter with this miniature which completed my MM90s set:

My name is Zragg, the undefeated,
The evil gods chose me to bring despair and destruction to the world!
Fear the holy handgrenade of Hashut, the Father of Darkness!

MattGee

Godfreig wrestled with the burning fire inside his head trying to recall where he was. The last he recalled was marching resolutely with his fellow farm hands under the stewardship of his Baron, towards what seemed to be an endless tide of savage green maws and glinting axes. His mind continued to slide back to the darkness pulling at his soul, the constant nagging to walk ever onwards as if drawn by some unnatural well. He stumbled on. Rounding the small copse, the burning inside his skull became stronger as he began to vaguely register other shambling figures resembling folk he dimly recalled. Turning back to where he was heading he caught sight of a wizened man hunched in discoloured robes, clutching a glowing staff of ebony coloured wood. As he fell into line with the growing throng his mind slipped away, replaced with the lobotomised command of a darker power.
Lutheran Darkshade gripped the glowing talisman in his right hand and smiled as the legion of undead assembled before him.

MG

Attachments

• 548959C9-373F-4ED7-94C0-D2DA111FC131.jpeg
    548959C9-373F-4ED7-94C0-D2DA111FC131.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,263
  • D9BCFFF5-D0F1-4196-8E50-7BFECFCAD283.jpeg
    D9BCFFF5-D0F1-4196-8E50-7BFECFCAD283.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 3,263

EricF

Administrator
Well here is my entry, thought we could do with something big!

There is no theme or limit on the model you can pick, but the model must be a single fantasy or sci-fi figure of "28mm" scale.
Well she's a single sci-fi model and 28mm scale so presumably counts!

Your model should be something freshly painted, preferably for the contest, rather than something you already have done.
Finished up today (well not finished, she still needs her banners and a little more weathering, but I won't have a chance before competition close to do those bits!)

You will need to supply 2-4 photos of the model against a plain background. These should show it from different angles to give the viewer an all-round view of the model.
Can you forgive the background? I totally forgot whilst taking photos today.

Well finally finished enough for display, my ancient Armorcast Reaver Titan, for those who remember. Colour scheme is Legio Metalica. A few small kit-bash additions to the torso, but pretty much stock. Brush painted this one in the end (I originally thought I was going to be airbrushing it), mostly Vallejo paints, with pigments for the shading, some citadel metallics for chipping (sponge method), Warcolour metallic for trim and detailing. Happy with the result, decided on a large model to try not to overdo shading and highlights and I think it's worked. Next step with her are the banners and some more grime and mud on the feet. Hope you like it.

reaver_frontdown.jpg

reaver_left.jpg

reaver_right.jpg

reaver_rear.jpg

reaver_front.jpg

GeOrc

Hi all,
I am new to the board and in the oldhammer community. Evan if I am in the hobby since the 5th edition, I always prefered to paint the newer stuff. With my 20th anniversary in the hobby I thought it would be nice to return to my roots. Inspired by topics and blogs from the oldhammer community I get motivated to do my first step in this direction. I grabed this old Dark Elves Champion and painted him to introduce myself to the Facebook site of oldhammer community. Now I get infected and can´t wait to rework through my old 4th edition stuff and to complete and paint my 3rd edition collection. So far to the background of this miniature. It is not scenic and roleplaying related, but a nice story to tell. Therefore, my scenic pictures are two pictures the Champions shows up with his old cousin, painted in around the year 2000.

Remember people will be judging on Oldhammeriness so bear that in mind when choosing a subject.
I hope the 4th Edition count as oldhammerish enough. I know that most people prefer the 3rd but the 4th edition range was what I started with and what is linked to the nostalgic feeling when holding these miniatures in hand and look at the pictures in the publication. At least it is metal :)

Not specific for this contest, as I am new in the community and found this topic first after the miniature was finished. Bit it is the last miniature I have painted, so I hope that counts.

Enough said.

DE-Champion_05_s.jpg
DE-Champion_01_s.jpg

DE-Champion_03_s.jpg
DE-Champion_02_s.jpg

And here my scenic pictures showing my Dark Elves Champion accompanied by his old cousin:

DE-Champion_06_s.jpg

DE-Champion_07_s.jpg

I hope you like it. Bigger pictures you can find in my Hobby-Blog https://georcs-workbench.blogspot.com/
Kind Regards,
GeOrc

Hi folks, I've been lurking on the forum for a while but the Golden Gobbo has inspired me to dive in a sign up!

Here is my entry, painted specifically for this challenge: he has been sat in my lead pile for a goodly time while I built up the courage to paint him. I'm not 100% happy with the quality of the photos but they seem to be the best I can manage.

This is 'Logar The Unchained', my Border Princes war band chief...

'...Across the Border Princes men tell a tale: of a child raised in the slave pits of the corrupted Chaos Dwarfs. Forced to fight for survival for the cruel pleasures of his masters; the child was raised in blood and slaughter. In time the boy became a man, the man became a champion. His masters paraded him like a prize pony, adorned in the armour and helm of an ancient hero…
…The tale tells how he broke his chains, cast off his collar; turned on his masters and cut them down in an orgy of vengeance and fury, escaping the dark heat of the pits ahead a blood-crazed mob of freed slaves hell-bent on the destruction of their former masters…’

***Edit*** Sorry chaps I cannot seem to upload the photos directly so here are links to them. I will try to add them on the Facebook group also!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okt787smjefmb ... 4.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6f479cjt8nxup ... 5.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pqn5lqx2fnbl ... 9.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fry96ijdx3ik7 ... 6.jpg?dl=0

Tuskerton

"Mookerz was pleased with his new pair of leather trousers.They hadn't cost him much, apart from the time it took him to persuade the tanner into providing the leather at a significant discount and then convince the leatherworker to fashion them. Along with the new spiky hairstyle he sported, copied from those weird stunties he had seen, Mookerz was an ogre who was going places!"

mEmPM5O.jpg

L6axME5.jpg

605eOI5.jpg

Ketil Trout

Some very nice entries, here is my effort. A goblin war turtle using a RAFM reptiliad war turtle, some Citadel goblins, a snotling and a goblin warboss from Avatars of War.

Attachments

• war turtle 3.jpeg
    war turtle 3.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 3,183
  • war turtle 2.jpeg
    war turtle 2.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3,183
  • war turtle 1.jpeg
    war turtle 1.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 3,183
Lots of very fine looking things here ! Here is my contribution - a Dark Elf 'Elspeth von Brutal' (owned him as a child - lost him and the rest of the box - but got him again as a gift recently) - face needs tidying but not enough light here now so dont look too close at 2nd photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5504.JPG
    IMG_5504.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 3,168
  • IMG_5501.JPG
    IMG_5501.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 3,168
  • IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 3,168

Sparfell

Hi all,
So here is my entry. Sure it is not a Citadel dwarf but I like it very much.
First post of a mini on this forum and first painted for 30 years. Finished it yesterday and tried to take descent pics this afternoon.

Attachments

• AEE1FEEF-2D76-4721-9296-E74620FF849A.jpeg
    AEE1FEEF-2D76-4721-9296-E74620FF849A.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 3,063
  • CFF1B421-5611-4C9A-96EC-F994FF7536F9.jpeg
    CFF1B421-5611-4C9A-96EC-F994FF7536F9.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 3,063
  • 366C4BB3-8ABD-44D9-A6D0-6AC6140A1716.jpeg
    366C4BB3-8ABD-44D9-A6D0-6AC6140A1716.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 3,063
Back