Ebay ridiculousness

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Ebay ridiculousness

Or he typed £510.00 instead of £51.00 and felt such an idiot afterwards he didn't ask to retract the bid. Either way, now you can afford to buy another at a sensible price and rake in £500 profit, perhaps one without graffiti inside the cover! :)

Post Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:03 pm

He was some American chap.

He wrote a response to my email asking him why he was bidding so high and if he intended to pay.

He said: "It's a bit much, but I'll pay it."

A bit much? Like, 20 times the value, but all right! :D
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Post Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Yeah, I don't think Brexit weakened the pound that much....! :)

Post Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:48 pm

He seems to be a sportsman. I respect that. Sometimes winning is more important than money and if you get carried away then it is only honourable to pay up.
(I write that so that I can feel better about my own ebay mistakes of course)
ImageImage

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:06 am

Stormbringer wrote:Well, I did say on the listing that there was a name in the inside cover.

It's some guy called "T. LEWENS". Maybe I should have marketed that. ULTRA RARE EDITION SIGNED BY T. LEWENS HIMSELF!!! :lol:

Not THE T.Lewens? OMG! T. Lewens! Wow!

No, I've no idea either.

Don't go spending it all until confirmation of receipt, he still might get an attack of buyers remorse and mess you about. Hope not tho! A great ending to your Oldhammering.
Keep Kalm and Pass Kool Tests.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:28 am

Looks to me like you got lucky and two guys with deep pockets entered a bidding war, a bit extreme but if I had several thousand quid pocket money each month and was in a bad mood when some chap kept gazumping me maybe I wouldn't care about the cash either. Particularly if the two have previous wars between them.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:35 am

grim1 wrote:
bet you're glad he didn't cancel the auction now. DM. £510 wow....

Not really, I still think it's some sort of scam and PP will somehow refund it, but then I'm cynical like that, having it happen to me before.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Zhu Bajie wrote:Don't go spending it all until confirmation of receipt, he still might get an attack of buyers remorse and mess you about.

Good advice. You can be sure I'll be keeping it in my PayPal account for at least a month.
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:50 pm

I took a double take at that WHFB auction - hope it all goes according to plan but my spidey senses tell me they'll do something odd like try to do a charge back via paypal or say it didn't arrive or somesuch. Good luck though & let us know if they leave positive feedback!

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:32 pm

Well, because I used the eBay Global Shipping Program, once it gets into the hands of the GSP guys, it becomes their responsibility, not mine.

Which means, if it doesn't get from GSP to his home in the USA, or if the guy claims it didn't get there, GSP will refund him, but I won't be charged.
PreviousNext

Return to eBay (&similar) & Classifieds