Ebay ridiculousness

Zhu Bajie":1ajbm94x said:
You do know Nuln Spearman is probably the rarest Citadel Miniature eva, right? It has near legendary, mythical status. To my knowledge not a single one was ever seen in the wild by serious collectors till about 2 years ago, when one went up for sale on eBay then disappeared. I think Steve wrote about it on his blog at the time.

Depending on who bought him, I'm wondering just how less 'rare' he becomes over the next few years...

What's also interesting that the seller is using a Commercial business dead letter mailbox address in Nottingham. I'm assuming former GW staffer.

Fimm McCool

dieselmonkey":1e61l40v said:
Depending on who bought him, I'm wondering just how less 'rare' he becomes over the next few years...

What's also interesting that the seller is using a Commercial business dead letter mailbox address in Nottingham. I'm assuming former GW staffer.

Apparently (according to a related facebook post, so pinch of salt) he's going to be painted, so at least it looks like he's staying hobby-side.
The former-GW staff was my assumption too. A lot of people were screaming fake, but I don't see why a former casting room employee couldn't have (probably without knowing it was anything special) run off a few copies for themselves. If I'd been there and could have bought stuff for metal weight I'd have spun myself all kinds of fun things!

Fimm McCool":2mqrmoey said:
If I'd been there and could have bought stuff for metal weight I'd have spun myself all kinds of fun things!

Yeah, I did when I was there. There was lots of interesting non-sale stuff designed for sculptors to use, like standardised weapons etc that I bought at lead-weight for conversions. At the end of the day though, most of us that worked there were just interested in all the shiny new stuff that came out.

I can only assume that the Nulny bloke never got as far as a production mould, so this one came from a master mould. What would happen was the mouldmakers would make the master mould, run a few spins, and then a small bin of these (a dozen or so) would go around for people to look at. For some reason it never went into production.

Fimm McCool

dieselmonkey":1npysseb said:
There was lots of interesting non-sale stuff designed for sculptors to use, like standardised weapons etc that I bought at lead-weight for conversions.

Screw the spearman, gimme that stuff! :)

Fimm McCool":10la6p70 said:
dieselmonkey":10la6p70 said:
There was lots of interesting non-sale stuff designed for sculptors to use, like standardised weapons etc that I bought at lead-weight for conversions.

Screw the spearman, gimme that stuff! :)

Heh, Sadly I sold my original studio collection en-masse in the mid-90's when I needed money more than toy soldiers. I've basically spent the last 15 years trying to replace it, albeit without all the unique/unreleased stuff.

Which is a shame, as the current market would have meant I could have bought a house with it. There was *probably* a Nulny in there, I used to have both empire and Bret armies, and just got hold of everything I could find spun up, master or no.

Zhu Bajie

Fimm McCool":3cmne4qk said:
I still say it represents a reality misalignment, but then so does buying supercars (or even BMWs) for pootling around town.

Yeah. 'reality' and economics rarely meet. No doubt due to the fundamentally symbolic nature of money. Beanie Babies, Tulips, Loss-leader frozen Chicken in Tescos, coins being materially worth less than their value, Equivalent VIII by Carl Andre, Hirsts Dot paintings, Facebooks tax bill, whatever, but it makes sense because the entire system is built on perception of value, not utility.

Fimm McCool":3cmne4qk said:
A lot of people were screaming fake

Considering the utter scarcity of the Nuln Spearman, to call it out as a 'fake' without having seen it in the hand, and with absolutely nothing to compare it with, this is just trolling. A lot of people get pissy and jealous, so I'm not surprised. I'm sure the seller will provide as much provenance as the buyer requires.

dieselmonkey":3cmne4qk said:

It was bought by a guy on the CCM yahoo group. I don't think they've ever been linked to recasting. I'd expect anyone who might have a Nuln Spearman and not want it is likely to flog it now. lol!

Ah... straightening that spear is going to be one hell of a lot of fun. Fuuuuuu-aarghh.. >knick< ....oh.

By the way, even though this is not Oldhammer, it's tangentially related, because it's the direct ancestor. $10,000 for a 1st edition D&D Box Set with 1 day to go. A nice box to keep some minis in.

Zhu Bajie":2ledxm99 said:
It was bought by a guy on the CCM yahoo group. I don't think they've ever been linked to recasting. I'd expect anyone who might have a Nuln Spearman and not want it is likely to flog it now. lol!

Good for him. I mean, I've spent stupid money on a single toy soldier before, up in the three figure range, but that's just out of my league. Even a few years back, when I was getting paid *way* too much, that single purchase would have accounted for my monthly toy budget!

I'm not on the CCM group, but If you see it painted up, share it on here, I'd like to see it.

Fimm McCool

Zhu Bajie":28rlp7bw said:
Yeah. 'reality' and economics rarely meet. No doubt due to the fundamentally symbolic nature of money. Beanie Babies, Tulips, Loss-leader frozen Chicken in Tescos, coins being materially worth less than their value, Equivalent VIII by Carl Andre, Hirsts Dot paintings, Facebooks tax bill, whatever, but it makes sense because the entire system is built on perception of value, not utility.

True dat. Fundamental problem of an economic system based on a symbolic concept.

Well, it's probably about time I fessed up.

It was me. I bought the Nuln Spearman. It is now where it should be -- mounted on the front of my Rolls Royce.

nuln_royce.jpg

Golgfag1

Zhu Bajie":9s0i406j said:

Sorry, got to declare a interest here - actually married to a cousin of one of these artist - there now that's out of the way, my opinion is - as far as art is concerned, it's a case of how it makes you feel - and if it touches some special in you - the money does matter, it's worth it; and if, the person who it touches is wealthy, they'll pay the price.

Paul / Golgfag1

Zhu Bajie

Golgfag1":bbnko5b6 said:
Zhu Bajie":bbnko5b6 said:

Sorry, got to declare a interest here - actually married to a cousin of one of these artist - there now that's out of the way, my opinion is - as far as art is concerned, it's a case of how it makes you feel - and if it touches some special in you - the money does matter, it's worth it; and if, the person who it touches is wealthy, they'll pay the price.

Paul / Golgfag1

I'm sure Saatchi and Trump are moved by very different things, so the value is in the perception rather than the object itself. Then again a lot of art is bought by corporate entities as part of an investment portfolio, and the value is just speculative investment. The silly money people pay for RTB01 in box on sprue, or sealed copies of Mordheim is the same thing, if it's just to play/model/paint it there are faster/cheaper/funner ways of achieving the same end result.

Btw, the 1st Edition of D&D just went for $22100 / £17500

cranidiodap

Hi Oldhammers,

I'm the one who bought the Nuln Spearman.

And yes, I'm a member of CCM group.

For 20 years I'm an Empire collector and I decide how much I pay for a miniature. It's a thoughtful and personal decision.

I seem to be out of place many sentences written in this respect in the forum. The miniature is original and is very rare and I didn't buy it to clone it, evidently.

From now on I expect you to ask me about it an I'll reply you. I've felt offended by this topic.

Kind regards

Golgfag1

cranidiodap":ua8m0ygr said:
Hi Oldhammers,

For 20 years I'm an Empire collector and I decide how much I pay for a miniature. It's a thoughtful and personal decision.

I seem to be out of place many sentences written in this respect in the forum. The miniature is original and is very rare and I didn't buy it to clone it, evidently.

From now on I expect you to ask me about it an I'll reply you. I've felt offended by this topic.

Kind regards

Good for you, if you wanted it - for whatever reason, and are happy with paying the price of asking. Congratulation, I hope your purchase is all you want it to be - But, may I point you in the direction of the poem 'If' and ask you to consider its words, following the above post.

Season's greetings :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Zhu Bajie

cranidiodap":3tepomzo said:
Hi Oldhammers,

I hope no offence was taken for anything I've written, none was intended. I think you are entirely right to spend your money on whatever you choose. I am really happy for you that you have the Nuln Spearman, and am looking forward to seeing him painted. Glad you've joined the forum :)

I do have a couple of questions. Have you taken delivery of the Nuln Spearman yet. Are you going to do the same colour-scheme as the old advert or match him to your own army? And have you decided to straighten the spear of leave it in its current state? I can imagine this being a very tricky thing to do, and would be interested in seeing the process should you decide to do that.

Cheers!

A Badger

Really looking forward to seeing the Spearman painted up - I'd like to see it shot from behind too - I can't quite see what that is attached to his belt. I'm wondering how easy it would be to convert one from a Royal Guard (WD92) with the head of a Reik Guard (WD90) with a bit of green stuff.

Have you got a Guard Captain too?

Golgfag1

This one came as a bit of a shock, was expecting it to coming at about a hundred pounds - came in well above that :o :shock: :o - obviously, folks spending their Christmas present money following the festivities. I now feel I got a real bargain just before Christmas :grin:; but I put that down to - people watching the pennies, before having to put their hands into the piggy bank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172460455211? ... EBIDX%3AIT

My New Years resolution is not to buy any new figures in 2017! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Fimm McCool

Golgfag1":9nwg8ej7 said:
My New Years resolution is not to buy any new figures in 2017! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

That's also mine... we'll see though as there's at least one Kickstarter coming up I have an eye on!

mubo

Golgfag1":382hpvr1 said:
This one came as a bit of a shock, was expecting it to coming at about a hundred pounds - came in well above that :o :shock: :o - obviously, folks spending their Christmas present money following the festivities. I now feel I got a real bargain just before Christmas :grin:; but I put that down to - people watching the pennies, before having to put their hands into the piggy bank.

Congrats! I was tempted by that, glad it went to someone in the community

Orjetax

cranidiodap":3r0t8eiz said:
Hi Oldhammers,

Kind regards

Congratulations on your acquisition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back