Ebay ridiculousness

Fimm McCool

Stormbringer":23wef8xr said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nuln-Spearman-Empire-fighter-unreleased-Games-Workshop-metal-figure-rare-/252656411519

:shock:

I think we were all puzzled, shocked or rolling on the floor laughing at that one!

Fimm McCool

It's a perfectly stupid price to pay for any toy soldier. I'm sure if your income is high enough it's an amount you can throw away willy-nilly, but if that's the case I'd suggest doing something more useful to society with it.

Zhu Bajie

You do know Nuln Spearman is probably the rarest Citadel Miniature eva, right? It has near legendary, mythical status. To my knowledge not a single one was ever seen in the wild by serious collectors till about 2 years ago, when one went up for sale on eBay then disappeared. I think Steve wrote about it on his blog at the time.

The price is basic economics, market forces, supply and demand, and value perception. The bidding started at 99p, the price wasn't artificially inflated by the seller, or set at a baseline that set unwarranted expectations of value, it genuinely found it's own price. Things get stupidly ridiculous when someone pays out £££s for something common, like a femarine, or a copy of WFRP1e, or RoC:LaTD because the value-perception is out of kilter with the realities of the supply. Someone shells out £1370 on an extremely rare item? Sure it's remarkable, but not puzzling or unreasonable.

Fact is some self-identifying 'Oldhammerers' are gamers first, not die-hard collectors. Some aren't bothered if they're buying illegal recasts, rip-offs, or an ultra-rare original, they just want a cool looking army/warband or whatever. On the other hand there are collectors who are sat on immaculate, near complete runs of everything Citadel ever produced, who would never go anywhere near the shonky stuff. Different values. The Nuln Spearman might well represent that last figure that completes the set for a few of those guys, and I hope their arkenstone brings them much joy!

Fimm McCool

I still say it represents a reality misalignment, but then so does buying supercars (or even BMWs) for pootling around town.

ardyer

Fimm McCool":21bylh2t said:
I still say it represents a reality misalignment, but then so does buying supercars (or even BMWs) for pootling around town.
If I can't buckle a nuln spearman into my Maserati, what's the point of living?

Fimm McCool":24us33g3 said:

My wife would say buying anything related to this hobby of hours represents a reality misalignment. It's a matter of perspective ;)

ardyer":4a7fdel4 said:
Fimm McCool":4a7fdel4 said:
If I can't buckle a nuln spearman into my Maserati, what's the point of living?

Pfft, I'm using one as a hood ornament on my Stutz Bearcat.

DominusLimum":3fofc62k said:
...but the spear, it's... bent.
I confess it was me that bought him. But dont worry about the spear because I am going to convert him into a pikeman. Now I just need to find another 19 of them...

Back