eBay UK / White Dwarf / Dragon Magazine (Warhammer Quest)

Zhu Bajie

Hello!

I'm selling a bunch of old WD, Dragon and Imagine mags on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/daveshouseofhorrors/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Of "Old/Midhammer" interest -
*one of the later Dragons has a glowing review of Necromunda - I can dig out the issue # if anyone is interested
*many of the later Dragons have adverts for GW stuff - again if you're serious I can check which issues for you.
*Imagine #3 has a bunch of CLASSIC JEZ GOODWIN ART R@RE LOOK WOW! Unfortunately the mag is in really poor condition.

All the WD's have interesting stuff, art from John Blanche, Gary Chalk, Tabletop Heroes painting guides and miniatures reviews. But you knew that already. one copy of White Dwarf 68 has the Blanche poster still stapled to the middle:

$_1.JPG

Zhu Bajie

Re: eBay UK / White Dwarf / Dragon Magazine / Imagine Magazi

So I came across Rick Swans 1996 review of Warhammer Quest in Dragon #225 which I thought might be of interest to some here...

Rick opens his review with some 'lame' games - including TSR's seminal dungeon-crawl boardgames Dungeon - admitting to it's simplistic character being great for friends and neighbours, but assuring us he has much more refined tastes. The Warhammer Quest. Goes through the basic mechanics, placing room-tiles, drawing cards fighting monsters and all that jazz, and drools over the components, and champions the large number of random events as the games saving grace from drowning in randomness.

With tongue only slightly in cheek, Rick goes on to say "Warhammer [Quest] resales might be able to finance a comfortable retirement." Boom. and right there is what was wrong with 99.9% of 1990s gaming. From the Collectable Card Game fads of Magic the Gathering, to TSRs Dragon Dice (also enthusiastically reviewed in this issue of Dragon) to the Paid-for Argos Catalogues that were the Warhammer Codex books (there's an full-age ad for one of the 40k Codex books in the same issue btw). Collectorism. It wasn't exclusive to gaming, the 1990s collector bubble in the comic-book sphere, or rather publishers reaction to the boom of comic book sales in attempting to create 'collectors items' with variant covers and all that jazz. Thing is, despite my cynicism a, boxed, sealed copy of Warhammer Quest sold on eBay for just under £500, and complete, opened ones regularly hit £180. Adjusting for inflation that's a 200% gain on investment. or something. Not that I have a problem of people collecting things, it's the attitude of producers towards specifically generating collectables that seems to end up generating products I can't find interest in.

Overall it's a fun and positive review of the game from a competing games company, albeit from a slightly smug and superior position. Within 12 issues or so reviews from other manufacturers stopped appearing in Dragon catching up with the editorial decision made on White Dwarf 7 or 8 years earlier. Ultimately our reviewer presents Warhammer Quest not as a thing of real value in its own right, but as an investment collectable and a gateway drug into proper RPGs - name-dropping Call of Cthulhu and AD&D as serious games.

Same issue also covers some GW related lawsuit where independent retailers are filing for breach of contract or something.

Re: eBay UK / White Dwarf / Dragon Magazine / Imagine Magazi

Zhu Bajie":2uco2g6k said:
Thing is, despite my cynicism a, boxed, sealed copy of Warhammer Quest sold on eBay for just under £500

A few years ago I sold a boxed sealed copy of WHQ on eBay for just under £500. I promptly wasted the money though (frittered it away on lesser games) and regretted not keeping WHQ.

I later managed to find an open, un-punched copy of it on eBay and I'm currently investing a fair amount collecting all the little extra bits and bobs for it from WD magazines etc.

If collectorism was bad in the 90s, today it is utterly insane -- especially from the likes of Fantasy Flight Games, Descent being a prime example.

Zhu Bajie

Re: eBay UK / White Dwarf / Dragon Magazine (Warhammer Quest

Well, as a completist, you'll need a copy of Dragon 225 as well!

The worst example of collectorism infecting game production that I can think of is the D&D Minis blind booster packs. Randomly assorted miniatures you can't even see. Almost exactly the same as ordering early 80's citadel miniatures off of the text-only adverts. :lol:

Dragon Magazine #226 has a full page, full colour advert for the High Elf figures - cavalry, infantry, characters etc. It has no prices or contact details on it at all, just the GW and Citadel logos. You're just supposed to psychically intuit where to actually buy them from.

Zhu Bajie":34qw44qz said:
Well, as a completist, you'll need a copy of Dragon 225 as well!

Nice try! ;) Although I do like that poster with the dude with the Cross (pre-Ankh alteration). I'll think about it!

Zhu Bajie

Jedi mind tricks not working again...

The WD68 with the poster has already gone on to a happier home, well worth tracking down tho.

Dragon 227 has a Space Hulk advert in it. Presumably that's the 2nd edition re-release. GW remembered to put mail order details no that one.

Zhu Bajie

Bump + additions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/daveshouseofh ... pg=&_from=

Highlights from the usual pile of Dragon, White Dwarf includes new stuff:

2000AD Monthly with a Slainé Comic RPG thing in it. Should review that on my blog before it goes because it is quite interesting.
AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide Every gamer should own at least one copy of this book. I don't need 3.
Realms of Fantasy Art book with some big Ian Miller images and other 80s scifi-fantasy goodness.

Of course, will combine postage on multiple items.

Back