eBay Auction sniping and you

Oathed

Analysis of actual winning bids on eBay (Yang and Kahng, 2006[4]) suggests that winning bidders are more likely to have placed a single bid late in the auction, rather than placing multiple incremental bids as the auction progresses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_sniping

I'm an old dude who's never played a game of 40K or Titanicus or Blood Bowl, but had all of them back in 1988 or so. So I figured I can get some stuff now that I have a job and some cash and the personal circumstances. So that means finding stuff, which means internet auctions. Which means people outbidding me in the last few minutes using automated tools. For my purposes:

1. Bidding late means paying less for what you want, on average, over time, with some greater risk of not getting what you want when you want it. It's a long game for the person with perspective.

2. If you don't use it, it will be used against you. It's legal, eBay condones it. They tried to stop it in Germany and were shot down by the German High Court (or w/e they call it).

3. Hang on, there's upsides as well. Yes I make a bit of cash now, but I also know that I tend to spend too much on stuff I don't end up using. I don't even have a group of people to play with, but buy Epic 40K, Aeronautica Imperialis, Necromunda, Mordheim, BFG, Dark Future (lol). If people snipe my bidding, it's just a natural brake on my spending - or I can be at the computer at a set time to make sure my bid is raised to a point where I don't care if I win or lose anymore - equilibrium in the market (B.S.FS in Economics '1996).

LESSON LEARNED: I'm fine with getting my bids sniped generally, it's a brake on spending. But sometimes not. If there's an auction I really care about, I will either educate myself and learn to use tools, or I will just have to suck it up and make an appointment for myself to remind me to sit there and play the anti-sniper game. I just lost a huge good auction on Eldar BFG. I'll take care with the Necromunda lot I'm looking at.

Asslessman

All valid points. This is why I just put what I'm ok to let go and then just leave. For those "really really really need" I try to get them via trades or by making what I feel enough to win. Losing is no big deal really and the good thing is that it means you either get it to spend on someting else or even nothing at all (so you don't have to explain what "THAT other paypal" is...)

the best tool ebay had was the one where you could set it up to bid on multiple auctions so you could bid up to x on one then if it was exceeded it auto bidded on your next item. You could set it up to bid for about a week and either eventually win at your chosen price or loose them all safe in the knowledge you did not overpay. Of course they did away with it as it promoted sensible spending...

I find that the snipe can be set up some time in advance usually by bidders making small incremental bids until they hit your top bid then they wait... :twisted:

Kafka

Nuts to automated tools ! :)

If you're able to be sitting on the auction come end time then snipe it as your only bid. Other wise put down what you'll pay up too and hope you don't get someone who'll pay more. If you loose, you'll have lost regardless if you had sniped to your max amount.

I refuse to be drawn into a cash-waving contest before the last 10 seconds of an auction. Cash-wavers simply bump the price up and up which tends to be the case in a lot of auctions these days as shill bidding is rife. Shill bidders don't get the chance to bump bids up prior to the auction end if they have no bids to bump against.

Private Listings are just as bad and in my mind have no place on ebay.

Oathed

If you're low on cash, sniping will save you money in the longer term. If you don't use it, it will be used against you. But at least it's also put a brake on my spending, which is good.

I'm a sniper and an early bidder. Something I am okay to let it go, I bid early and let it ride. For items i really want, I tend to snipe...and by snipe I mean I sit and wait at the last few minutes and then put in my high bid...accepting that it still might not be enough. Sometimes I forget to bid, get busy, or fall asleep. Sometimes I win, sometimes i don't.

I got burned in my early ebay days (~2007) and switched to sniping. I do not use a tool or a software, I just sit and watch...and then swear when I get distracted and the auction has ended before I get back.

Fimm McCool

Basement Dweller":14bd8vzd said:
I'm a sniper and an early bidder. Something I am okay to let it go, I bid early and let it ride. For items i really want, I tend to snipe...and by snipe I mean I sit and wait at the last few minutes and then put in my high bid...accepting that it still might not be enough. Sometimes I forget to bid, get busy, or fall asleep. Sometimes I win, sometimes i don't.

I got burned in my early ebay days (~2007) and switched to sniping. I do not use a tool or a software, I just sit and watch...and then swear when I get distracted and the auction has ended before I get back.

What he said. :) Getting software to snipe for you is cheating, but the adrenaline of waiting til that last second, hoping someone doesn't press the snipe button first! Pure wargaming thrill!

mbh

Basement Dweller":1ebxi4rp said:

early bidding?

I don't get it...

Niibl

Re: AW: eBay Auction sniping and you

I sometimes bid early on auctions with low interest to me and probably others. Nice if I get it (at that low price), no issue if I don't. At least I don't have to see it go to some one else for cheap due to me forgetting about the auction.
It is also good for removing purchase options and avoid putting it on your already overflowing watch list.
The main fun is manual sniping though.

Oathed

Fimm McCool":1k4jt1ke said:
What he said. :) Getting software to snipe for you is cheating, but the adrenaline of waiting til that last second, hoping someone doesn't press the snipe button first! Pure wargaming thrill!

Not according to eBay and the law. It basically hands power and money back to the buyers from the sellers and eBay. There was a court case in Germany where they tried to ban it, and it just fell through.

eBay could get rid of it with a simple "last-minute bid extends the auction" policy, but until then, you're only losing money and items by not sniping.

Asslessman

Oathed":fh874vdd said:
Fimm McCool":fh874vdd said:

Not according to eBay and the law. It basically hands power and money back to the buyers from the sellers and eBay. There was a court case in Germany where they tried to ban it, and it just fell through.

eBay could get rid of it with a simple "last-minute bid extends the auction" policy, but until then, you're only losing money and items by not sniping.

Losing items means not spending money i.e. not losing it ;)

Fimm McCool

Oathed":31zcc42t said:
Fimm McCool":31zcc42t said:

What's 'not according to ebay and the law''? Do you mean using sniping software? Personally I find the software offensive as it steals potential bargains from those who put the effort into waiting, I don't see how it 'hands power back to the buyers'. Sniping in person only do I approve of. :)

Niibl

Re: AW: eBay Auction sniping and you

Aargh! My eyes!
I would have taken it for cheap chinese plastic copies with that paintjob.:grin:

bug16

I do early bids, I don't snipe and I don't watch the auction end, and I win a lot of items for a very good price regularly on ebay. People enjoy the thrill of sniping but over the long term I bet that you win no more auctions at a good price than I do. At the end of the day your maximum bid is your maximum bid whether you snipe or not.

Back