BOYL The Engines of Avalone Siege game

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2014, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun May 04, 2014 12:28 pm

BOYL The Engines of Avalone Siege game

Here's my plans for a Siege game I'd like to set up for the Saturday (dependent on when we play the Epic game).

The basic outline of the game will be my Goblinoid horde besieging whoever wants to defend the mighty fortress

I hope to have around 7500 points worth of Goblinoids and allies painted up, along with a fair amount of artillery - Man Mangler, Skull Crusher, Lead Belcher, etc. There are also Giants, Wyverns and various siege equipment to contend with.

The game will be a slightly simplified version of the Siege rules to make it more manageable on the day. I'm happy for folk to join whenever they like - either as relief forces for the existing defenders or reinforcements for the bad guys.

So far Just John has volunteered his Dwarves to defend the fortress and Mr Furious is coming to his rescue with large amounts of Human Cavalry. I have Elves, Dwarves and Human infantry to add to the defenders. If I can get them done in time I also have several Dwarf and Human cannons I can donate.

I'd love to add in my Engines of Avalone scenario into the mix somehow - turning it on its head as a victory condition/side mission for the defenders. If I get the Human and Dwarf artillery painted it could be added to the objectives (take the Castle!) for the Goblinoids and other bad guys.

I envisage the game going on all day (on Saturday preferably) so let me know if you want to play from start to finish or just drop in at some point.

Any suggestions on how the game should be run are most welcome too.

Mr Furious has already suggested adding in various farm steads around the fortress which could provide a source of supplies/objectives/victory points for the defenders - or the attackers.

Players signed up so far
Thantsants - The Goblinoid Horde - Breakfast, lunch and dinner - Friday and Saturday
Just John - Halflings and assorted Treemen, Gnomes and maybe even Eagles! - Lunch (veggie)
Mr Furious - Human cavalry and artillery - Breakfast(?), lunch and dinner(?) - All weekend
Skarsnik - Either commanding my Elf/Dwarf/Human Alliance or joining in with the Goblinoid horde - Friday and Saturday
Vyper - Chaos Warband
Ollie - Khorne Warband - Breakfast, lunch and dinner - Friday and Saturday
Lenihan - Fimir (or maybe Sea Elves?) Lunch and dinner - Friday and Saturday
Rab - Bretonnians - Breakfast(?), lunch and dinner(?) - All weekend
Grumdril - Orcs and Chaos
Citadel Collector - Ass Cannon (and some other stuff...)
Erny - one or two Goblins - All weekend?
Snickit - Skaven - All weekend?
Harry - Merry Men (and knights) - Breakfast, lunch and dinner - Friday and Saturday
Last edited by Thantsants on Wed May 28, 2014 7:19 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post Sun May 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: BOYL The Engines of Avalone Siege game

That sounds brilliant! I'm being torn in all directions, deciding where to go hobby-wise at the moment (RoC warband, RT, Bret army that keeps stalling), but this might tip me towards "good guy fantasy".

Ooh, look, squirrel!

:oops: :roll:

Post Sun May 04, 2014 2:19 pm

You'd be more than welcome Rab and it'd certainly be nice to game with you as well as meeting you in person. I know what you mean though - there's at least another 5 different games I want to play over the weekend!

What else can I do to persuade you... ooh look at the shiny, shiny! (rattles house keys in the air)

I forgot to mention - I have two Fortresses and Mr Furious is also bringing another, maybe two if he can acquire another cheap in time. That means we'll probably build something like the Fastness out of the Siege Book or go with double ramparts so we can get whole units up there to repel attackers.

Post Sun May 04, 2014 4:08 pm

I can bring some 'uman cavalry and cannons, depending on what's needed game wise.

My front door mat (coir) is starting to look tempting as a food source for armies.

Just for inspiration:

http://www.sodemons.com/gd21us/indexsgf.htm

Post Sun May 04, 2014 4:24 pm

How about some chaos warband allies for the Orcs?
My wargaming blog: http://www.Lead-Rising.com.

Post Sun May 04, 2014 4:31 pm

If, you want to borrow any kit (stone / bolt throwers for the O & G's) just say the word - can't help with anything else as I've my own plans to prepare for the weekend, sorry. ;)

See you there,

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/grumpyoldbadger

Post Sun May 04, 2014 5:48 pm

I'd love to play in this, although I'm unsure as to whether I'll have any suitable models to offer.

Post Sun May 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Vyper - I'm sure the Gobbo's won't mind any Chaos lads turning up as long as they leave a few Stunties for them.

Skarsnik - you're more than welcome. You can choose between my Elves, Dwarves and Humans to help out the good guys or there are loads of Orcs and Goblins to go round.

Cheers Paul - I appreciate the offer. If I can get everything painted up I'll have 6 Stone Throwers and Lead Belcher in terms of artillery. I'll see who else pitches in with the baddies and let you know if that's ok. I wouldn't want you lugging your stuff up for us not to need it in the end!

If I can make it over on the Sunday I can pledge my Slann to the cause - if not you're more than welcome to use my little band. :mrgreen:

Those pics are great Mr F. and I'm really liking the idea of having farm steads, fields of crops and woods and coppices as strategic objectives.
My thoughts so far on how the Siege rules might work for us are -

Have a strategic turn every 5(?) turns or so - this will make holding onto farms and coppices vital to keep the fortress supplied with food and materials for repairs and defenses.

Or dispense with the strategic turn and have farm steads and coppices as sources of supply tokens which can be exchanged for reinforcements or adding defence points to castle sections. For each turn a farm stead or coppice is held a certain amount of supply tokens are earned. We could make up a Strategic phase somewhere towards the end of the turn where all this book keeping could take place.

Or make farmsteads and the civilians in them, fields and coppices into objectives with victory points attached to them. VP's could be cumulative for the good guys. Once the bad guys get their hands on an objective the appropriate number of VP's could be knocked off the good guys total. This should make them hotly disputed! Of course the main aim of the game would be for the bad guys to get into the fortress and there would be other objectives with one off VP's attached to them. For example,

Good Guys -
Sally forth and destroy the Orc artillery 200 VP's
Killing enemy Generals
Saving civilians and getting them inside the fortress

Bad Guys -
Raze a farmstead 200 VP's
Destroy a Relief Force/Sallying force
Capturing/slaughtering civilians

What do yo think?

So far we have a large force of Halflings with Treemen allies, large amounts of Human cavalry and some artillery to defend the castle. I can lend an Elven force - mainly archers and a couple of Dwarf units, sapper teams and some human militia.

I have 7500 ish of Orcs and Goblins, some Undead if needs be and Vyper's Chaos warband, plus Paul's kind offer to lend what we want from his fantastic Goblinoid horde.

Post Sun May 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Brave Sir Robin surveyed the sprawling ramparts and fortifications of Avalone - for three generations his family had proudly held the vastness of the keep and secured civilisation's most easterly border. For three generations his family had secured an uneasy alliance between dwarves and men and during his family's protectorate the pass had never weakened nor fallen: not in the time of the rampage of Goresnot the Green; not during the Pointy-Sharp-Axe-Boyz wars; not even amidst the carnage of the greenskin tide led by Bloodtooth Snotlingmawler who ate a whole troll during the protracted siege before succumbing to a bitter mutiny...

With the recent reinforcements from the Moot, expert scouts, foragers and foresters one and all, sent by quartermaster Jamie Tall'iver, Brave Sir Robin was calm, confident, and prescient that everything would work like an engineer's pigeon clock.

Suddenly armour clad footsteps rang shrilly up the well worn grey stone steps. "Sire we have urgent reports from runnin' villagers...and they ain't good," puffed a red faced youth. "They sez there's mutants in the woods and orcs is raiding the farms...chopping the trees, making throwy things...cutting down crops, and eatings the animals and the farmer's big kids who don't run so good..."

Glancing down the eddy drop of the sheer walls of Avalone, Brave Sir Robin calmly steadied himself with the reassurance that the stone walls had been impregnable for three generations, before dumping his fears in his fine leather breeches.
Last edited by Mr Furious on Mon May 05, 2014 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Mon May 05, 2014 12:22 am

What do frontier farmsteads look like? I am starting to make scenery based on this general feel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izba

I bought some chickens and boars to populate roosts and pens for stock.
Next

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2014