Drinks

weazil

Hi chaps

By now I'm sure you've gathered that I had finalising chat with Marcus. One of the things he suggested is that I poll the community to see what type of beer (or other alcohol) you chaps wanted them to sell.

For perspective, last year they had Peroni, Magners (a cider) and as best I recall, one of the heavier beers too).

Now I know that this is a pandora's box that can only lead to full on debates of what constitutes an oldhammer beer, but bear in mind that I'll be looking to put forward the names that are mentioned the most. I'd imagine that a good way to eliminate any outliers would be this - if you've never seen it at a wedding, then you're not likely to get it at Foundry.

So, what'll it be?

Mister Rab

My preference? A decent ale, porter, or IPA would be nice, although probably lighter rather than heavier for a summer daytime. Something that would normally be served from a proper hand-pumped tap at a CAMRA pub, basically. Thanks for asking!

Chico

Jagermeisters a beer right?... right? hehe

Is it bottled beer/cider only? or have the gone and got a beer pump fitted? But I like some Somersby ider or Pigs Ass Porter (Yes It's real)

pig-ass.jpg

Thantsants

But no widgets!

Black Sheep
Marstons Pedigree
Timothy Taylors Landlord

They're pretty common in 500ml bottles.

Of course if you're not bothered about finishing your game there's always old Pelucliar... :mrgreen:

antipixi

Hobgoblin and King Goblin are my favourites, but most real ales go down well.

Having said this, I am becoming quite partial to a refreshing cold cider during the day, then move on to the ale(s) in the late afternoon/evening. (Please not the plural in parentheses represent types of ale, multiple pints is a given!)

I know that thistly cross (see above) can supply boxes and kegs with taps so that we can have cider on draught. Pete (for that is my mates name) has a pretty good relationship with loads of craft brewers as well so may be able to get a load of ales alongside the cider, he's also nice enough to jump in his van and deliver it all.

Asslessman

I know you guys will come up with far much better ideas than I could so I'm leaving this into your talented hands ! (I honesly know very little and mainly about belgian beers)

On the other hand, I think of removing some clothes from my bag to leave room for a bottle of Chartreuse :

20131025-chartreuse-bottles-primary-thumb-610x457-361240.jpg

It is distilled a few miles from my place and it helps to end a good evening... (available at the best westen on Saturday night)

Asslessman

I'm just thinking about that time in the evening (early morning) where we'll have to say "No, sorry, I've got a game in a few hours..." (although it is very unlikely you'll hear me say no to any glass).

Chartreuse is basically a 55° liquor distilled from 130 plants by monks as an healing elixir, it migt be best-suited for the morning then :grin:

Erny

Given the length of each gaming day and the undoubted wish of Marcus to shift a lot of drinks can I make a plea for at least one decent session beer (notoriously difficult to find these days). I'd also assume that we are looking for something easily bought off the shelf without breaking the bank so I'm only going to suggest major brewers and not something yummy but harder to get hold of like Flowers IPA.

Belhaven Best 3.2% or Green King IPA 3.6%. Both from Green king though one is Scots rather than from Suffolk, not the very finest beers in the world but also not rubbish, you can drink them all day with little ill effect and most importantly cheap and tasty enough. OK I'll duck behind the parapet now but this isn't a beer festival remember.

If the idea of session beers doesn't rock your boat then can I put in a bid for London Pride 4.7% still sessionable, cheap and easily gotten hold of but a bit more punch, second Timothy Taylors but it's a bit northern ;).

Skarsnik

While there have been some wonderful suggestions in this thread (except the buckfast :razz: ), I'm not sure we should be making life any more difficult than it has to be for Marcus by requesting specific drinks. Going on last year I guess we will be looking at bottles, so if we ask for at least 1 type of lager, 1 type of ale and 1 type of cider, then he can get whatever is most easily available to him. There will be plenty of choice for the connoisseur when we make our way to Newark's watering holes in the evening.

Just John

I think it should be a weekend of quiet reflection and contemplation therefore I suggest total abstinence from alcohol.

Belhaven is brewed about 5 minutes from my mum and dads house (and the same town as thistly cross yadd yadda yadda, i'm boring myself now!) and they do a lovely IPA which may combine your two preferences Erny.
beerimg_ipa3.png

Although i have to agree with skarsnik as marcus will probably just be nipping down Aldi and seeing whats on offer! (i would if it was me!)

Erny

Skarsnik & Old Lead":11tah4oh said:
While there have been some wonderful suggestions in this thread (except the buckfast :razz: ), I'm not sure we should be making life any more difficult than it has to be for Marcus by requesting specific drinks. Going on last year I guess we will be looking at bottles, so if we ask for at least 1 type of lager, 1 type of ale and 1 type of cider, then he can get whatever is most easily available to him. There will be plenty of choice for the connoisseur when we make our way to Newark's watering holes in the evening.

Fair point I'd just like to make the plea for sensible strength, below 4% if possible.

Not had the Belhaven IPA WP, if I see it I'll give it a go.

Back