[BOYL 2014 Event] The Shadows of Rensburg

Bane

He awoke amongst a bed of dark leaves expecting to feel groggy, but instead he felt surprisingly alert. The recent memories came flooding back to him, the battle for the town of Rensburg and the spirited defense of the townsguard, but it was the awe and power of the Chaos invaders that left the greatest impression, their incredible strength, swordsmanship and their desire, their unrelenting will. There was no guilt in the admiration, he admired some of his fellow soldiers and their bravery in the face of such power, but the outcome was never in doubt; only the humans fled, the invaders only poured forward. But how had he survived, why was he spared? He looked out between the branches, onto the ruins of Rensburg and the bloody battlefield strewn with corpses upon which the birds were now circling. He saw shadows moving. There were others out there, he could sense it, others like him. What did that mean, pure kinship with fellow survivors? He didn't think so. Something had happened, some changing of himself and the area which had once housed his garrison. There seemed to be a fizzle in the air, whispers in the clouds, a sense of expection. Poised on the edge of the forest he knew he needed to be patient. He looked down at his axe, rusted; his hands clutching it had a tinge of blue, the skin beginning to peel away. His belly was exposing his guts, displaying the beauty of his previously unseen insides. He felt the wonderful texture of the boils on his chin. None of this surprised him, he was ready......

So there's some backstory for you, I envisage this being an event for warbands (primarily RoC) but you can also be a group of adventurers, or a unit or any collection of vagabonds, but these obviously don't have the additional fun of rolling on the RoC tables! I think it best to have a maximum of 4 players (one from each table edge) and I'll be the GM and will provide the necessary scenery and NPC models (this gives me a new focus to paint up some lead) and you should expect a narrative and a bit of roleplaying with your warbands. However don't expect any play-testing in advance or an encyclopaedic knowledge of third edition rules!

I never had the chance to run a narrative game as a younger gamer, so here's my opportunity, I can't wait!

Let me know if you're interested and maybe some of you would like to run an interlinked or completetly separate narrative game so we can further progress our warbands?

antipixi

I'll link this thread on the proposed events thread.

+ I'm very interested in taking part. I'll be bringing along my Nurgle warband, if that's OK for the game.

Vyper

Assuming they live that long, I'd like to bring my Khorne warband - if they don't then I'll likely bring along a fledgling Slaaneshi one instead (boo, hiss!)

Either way, I'd like them to further their own narratives if possible - but I'm happy to tie in mine with yours. Strange things can happen because of the whims of Chaos, after all.

What day(s) were you thinking of running your event, I'm hoping to take part in the siege on Friday (and maybe one other day too) at the moment.

Bane

Vyper":3l9vuilb said:
What day(s) were you thinking of running your event, I'm hoping to take part in the siege on Friday (and maybe one other day too) at the moment.

I was thinking either Saturday or Sunday, depending upon demand, I'm totally flexible with it.

The idea with my narrative is just to provide participants a chance to explore the scenery I have (I'll post some pictures later) and make some discoveries which will ultimately provide Reward Points. I didn't want it to be just a clash of warbands.

Would love it if you provided your own narrative, that way I can use my Nurgle warband too...

I'll be bringing the figures for my town watch so if you need some non-chaosy folk to be wandering about on the sunday....although I may be fully booked game wise.... Kind of depends when the Sensei battle is happening and how long it lasts and of course when this game happens.

Mister Rab

I'll have my Tzeentchian band with me, ready and willing to add to the carnage.... assuming I'm not still involved the desperate defence of Thantsants' city walls.

lenihan

I suspect I'll be involved elsewhere, but I'll have my sea elves with me and ready to use if the opportunity arises, and I may also bring my Highlanders - again, if you have need for non-Chaos participants.

Bane

Fantastic, thanks for all the interest. In preparation I'm currently repairing/finishing some river sections and a cottage which was originally made when I was a teenager back in the late 80's (found at my parent's house), I'll post some photos later in the week.

I'm happy to play the scenario at any point over the weekend, when people are free from the bigger games and commitments. Right now I'm off to glue some reeds into the riverbed and watch the football (guilt free on father's day)!

Bane

I've been busy making and mostly repairing scenery for the Shadows of Rensburg game that I'll be running. Some of these were made 20 odd years ago and needed a good old dust, but you can get a feel of how Rensburg may appear (I'm just missing some forests):

You may notice some of the NPC's wandering around:

I'm particularly proud of the stained glass windows and the burnt out nature of the church:

These two were both made and painted about twenty years ago - sturdy!

This is a more recent version:

Hope this may have whetted your appetite somewhat, anyone's welcome to join in and play.

Cheers,
Bane

edit - the green rug won't be attending; needless to say my wife was incredulous at me using it for my "little men and their world"

Bane

VanLoon":15t0tatd said:
That terrain looks superb! I love the dead leaves.

The locals don't look too friendly though ;)

Depending on your allegiance (and perhaps intelligence) they may be more accomodating than they look!

Vyper

VanLoon":13f1axrs said:
This looks great Bane - my Khorne warband would love to participate in the slaughter!

I suspect an alliance may be in order! Just want to say that I am still up for this and am looking forward to it. The scenery looks great too and no doubt it will be the site of much bloodshed. :grin:

lenihan

Just wanted to say, I really loved this game! Hope to play more narrative style games with these chaps, tremendous fun, and really nice to have to think about all the stuff your figures are doing that ISN'T combat.

antipixi

I checked to see you had enough players and since you seemed pretty full and I would need to borrow minis, I went to play the Dredd game with Chico. It sounds like I missed out on a really good game. (I did enjoy the Dredd game, so I'm not disappointed, but definitely wished I had got my warband done in time.)

I did look over the table a few times and the quality of painting was excellent from what I saw. Oh well, there's always next year!

Back