[BOYL14 EVENT] The rogue trader quickening

cheetor

It might be time to cap the number of players. Seven players is very big really. It might be worth considering reducing the number of followers to three or even two if there will be that many players. A fast game that leaves players wanting more is far preferable to a tedious drawn out affair.

Asslessman":1okmjta1 said:
no one wold want to be the 7th to play !

A card draw for initiative is what I would go for. Each player draws a numbered playing card at the start of each round and players play in that order. Keeping the card secret might be the the most fun way to do it, but placing the card face up in front of each player after drawing might make things play faster (or it might slow guys down as they try to take advantage of move order).

I would go for secret card draw initiative.

Random initiative can lead to peculiar occurrences where a player gets to activate twice in a row before some others, but thats still a better alternative than someone having to be player number 7 for the whole game. Plus, under the circumstances, that sort of randomness is a good thing I think.

Do we let characters play by order of initiative? After a quick look at the necromunda rules, initiatives for basic profiles will all be between 3 or 4 so that may not help much.

I would be inclined to avoid any process that requires a group of grognards to each come up with a statistic from a sheet every few minutes. Guaranteed there will be at least one guy who never listens, at least one guy who always gets it wrong and at least one guy who immediately starts moving his miniatures every turn anyway.

Leromides

What about tokens drawn randomly from a bag each turn? It would give the opportunity for a bit of drama and suspense as to who got to act next. You could even have a random event token so that something happens each turn but you never know when.

Asslessman

Leromides":cocab44l said:
What about tokens drawn randomly from a bag each turn? It would give the opportunity for a bit of drama and suspense as to who got to act next. You could even have a random event token so that something happens each turn but you never know when.

Looks highly compatible with Cheetor's suggestion above for random initiative and the added secret event is a very good idea !
We'd just have to come up with 8 chips (for 7 players and a special event) and a bag

Leromides":lsw923id said:

This is essentially the same thing as cards.

Capping to 3 followers is a good idea given the level of interest.

I propose that everybody makes a standard playing card sized card with a picture, one for each model in their force. This could include any special abilities, rules, stats etc potentially. We could design a template for this purpose.

Leromides

Different coloured but same size dice are probably simplest for a gamer, there are nice glass beads or marbles but if people are feeling adventurous a spare base can be painted in the colours of each faction. Each player would provide his own base and as long as we agree a common type they should be tricky enough to tell apart in a bag. As for bags I have a crown royal whiskey bag that works well for such things.

Asslessman

theottovonbismark":1dswn2dd said:
I propose that everybody makes a standard playing card sized card with a picture, one for each model in their force. This could include any special abilities, rules, stats etc potentially. We could design a template for this purpose.

I like that, a simple way of having everything under hand in a visible form

Anyone with graphic skills can have a go, otherwise I'm going to build a template with gimp and build the cards for everyone. I'll just need the pics and stats in due time

Every player who slays an opponent wins the associated card of course :twisted:

theottovonbismark":1dswn2dd said:
Secret events is not a bad idea at all...

Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition etc. etc.

Leromides":1dswn2dd said:
Different coloured but same size dice are probably simplest for a gamer, there are nice glass beads or marbles but if people are feeling adventurous a spare base can be painted in the colours of each faction. Each player would provide his own base and as long as we agree a common type they should be tricky enough to tell apart in a bag. As for bags I have a crown royal whiskey bag that works well for such things.

I like that a lot !

...or a little orbital bombing :twisted:

Leromides

Yes the idea is to avoid an initiative phase and the calling out of cards in turn. So yes you could get exactly the same effect from dealing from a deck with a card for each player and an extra for events. Same idea as a lot of the 2 fat lardies games. You do lose the theatre of the token drawing though. I think if you are going cards I would just get some index cards and write the names on the day though. You don't want to have anything that hints what card is next if you can avoid it.

Asslessman

Well, I like the idea of cards a brief stats / weapons and abilities recap and as a reward for players, the drawing of turn can be made from the bag and chips (bases).

I've already built a sort of template to make combat cards like these :

Travis.jpg

I could twitch them a bit to make them good for necro stats.
I'll make a sample for my sensei and you tell me guys if you like the idea, you'll basically just have to provide me a photo and the stats a week or 2 before the big day.

I like Asslessmans idea of the above card with pictures and stats. Shuffled and randomly dealt giving the order of play, no need for initiative. If we want a random event we just include an extra card with a list of events that can be decided with a D6 roll. This gives all the players a cool takeaway gift from the game as well! :grin:

Leromides

You don't need tokens as well as cards and if JB doesn't mind the extra work I'm all for it although I think you should lose your card when you lose your head. Would there even be an option for an immortal to get a stat boost based on the number of cards he's taken?

cheetor

theottovonbismark":3m5yabez said:
I was secretly hoping that someone would volunteer to do cards JB. ;)

Me too :grin:

I was also hoping that the same person would suggest the Combat Card format. Nice one JB :)

Are we limiting player miniature count to three? I am strongly in favour of this. Not even a Queen soundtrack and bad Christopher Lambert impersonations will make a marathon game that should actually only take 90mins fun.

WHat happens in the Highlander films? WHo fights who? Sometimes there are a bunch of the guys in the same battle. I would recommend having 2 teams. Each turn players can change teams, if they want, so its really just the 2 player turns which suits the rules. This will mean a bit of treachery, but I think that will be good for narrative.

Asslessman

Sensei + 2 is fine with me, a good compromise

Richard, just pick the 2 meanest squats in the 7 !

Rough sketch but imagine something like that with the right stats on the left side and special rules and weapons either at the bottom or on the other side of the card :

Template+Space+combat+cards.png

Just so we are all clear. Our two followers, are they to be from the Sensei Followers table (ie heroes of some sort) or are they one wound standard humies?

Back