BOYL The Engines of Avalone Siege game

Chico

Ugh... My Wife and family are Veggie too... all I can say is:

2852662944_29e5398a30.jpg

Sorry you can go back to your toys now hehe ;)

Thantsants

Ok - now we have finished taunting the herbivores back to business.

Cheers Rab - you're on the roster. Speaking of taunting, I hope your Kniggits are well up on their Holy Grail quotes and outrageous French accents with which they can abuse their besiegers. I'm sure the cannon will be well received and I have a few militia types you can have if no one else needs them.

Excellent, the O'Hammerers are landing early Friday morning, taking a trip into Nottingham and then heading out to Foundry so we can meet up have a game of something and set up the siege.

Sounds like a plan John - pm me if you've anything in mind at all. I'll let you know as soon as I can what sort of time I can get down there.

Lenihan - as soon as you've solved your existential crisis can you let me know if you require feeding on the Saturday.

To all and sundry - I think the key information Marcus will need is how many folks want an evening meal there. I'll add meal requirements I've got so far to the list on the first page - check it and let me know if I've got it wrong. Might be easiest if you pm me from now on with that info to save it getting lost in this thread.

Mr F. - I think this might also be appropriate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM

lenihan

Thantsants":17fzbtfj said:
Lenihan - as soon as you've solved your existential crisis can you let me know if you require feeding on the Saturday.

Yes please, Lunch and Dinner ideally. (Veggie)

Erny

Thought it may be apropriate to add my thoughts to this discussion as mentioned in the events list:

Way back when we first started talking about 2014 I proposed i would run the Warhammer siege scenario:

"The siege of Siege of Caraz-Lumba"

What with one siege game already well progressed is it worth still bringing Caraz-Lumbar or would it be better to throw my lot in with the other siege game. I can't be bothered bringing Caraz- Lumba if I just end up sitting on my own watching another bigger siege take place.

I can bring 3 mighty fortresses (one set is conversion fodder for breeches, keeps etc.) and pretty much whatever army people thing appropriate. On the Orc front more siege machines than you can shake a stick at including a couple of siege towers. Only problem with this idea is how much is too much? There is the potential to turn the whole thing into a section of a besieged city over two days with this much castle. Different city quarters under the command of different captains, the sea elf quarter defended by merchant companies and ships companies, the human militias, the dwarven quarters and all that entails for cannon and gun powder.

Outside the goblinoid armys siege machines pound the city walls, already a breach has developed defended by stalwart human Templars. Just the a call to arms erupts in the slums, a Skaven tunnel has broken through and street to street fighting ensues.

Anyway this could all be too much, Thantsants let me know if you'd like to join forces and up the level or if you'd like a hand with your original idea.

Thantsants

Hi Erny - I think I remember you mentioning it now - sorry to steal your thunder!

We didn't get round to playing the (originally much smaller) Siege game I had planned for my gaming weekend in the Lakes so figured that the Oldhammer Weekend would be a good time to try again. It seems to have grown a bit since then...

I'd be more than happy for you to join us if that's ok with you. I'm only around to play Siege on Saturday as I have a big Epic game planned for Sunday - no reason why the rest of you can't play on though.

I like the idea of a besieged city with different quarters I must say, but I'd also like to keep in the idea of the farmsteads and coppices for supply points - there's bound to be some great little skirmishes and sally forth's fought outside the walls for their control - not to mention loads of little sub-missions to keep all players actively doing something.

The opportunity to put 6 Fortresses together (with a seventh there to represent breached sections) is not to be missed. How about having the city walls as a corner jutting out into the table so that only one corner is city, leaving the rest of our 12x8 ft space left for farmsteads, fields, etc? That could also end up with effectively 2 siege assaults going on on the same table. Don't forget we could do with a hill full of artillery for the Engines of Avalone scenario.

I was wondering if we could get some tunnelling included - as well as Gnome/Dwarf counter-tunnelling measures - so a Skaven sneak attack would be brilliant!

So all in all - yes Erny we'd love you on board. Personally I'd like the game to come to some kind of resolution for me by the end of Saturday but I have no problem with you lot carrying on with it on Sunday if needs be.

What does everyone else think?

lenihan

Mister Rab":152u2xsr said:
Moar siege! Moar castles! Moar... moar! :twisted:

Amen!

My only problem is that I was already trying to weigh up how to go between this and Golgfag's planned activities in the two days, and if the siege stretches over 2 days that might make such juggling significantly harder. On the other hand, the idea of really scaling this up even more is tremendously exciting, so I reckon if people want to keep it going I won't stand in their way... just need to figure out how to fit my own timing into that (as a support force or whatever)

Mr Furious

I'm attending Saturday at a minimum and see no reason why the Siege cannot accommodate both a city quarter and the rural hinterland, best of both worlds, more the merrier and everyone is happy. :grin:

Maybe this border lands city, whatever it's name, has an untimely run of bad luck..what with greenskin horde and chaos seeking to over run it and the lands beyond.

Golgfag1

If, you intended to act as a slightly later arrival to epic struggle for the city; you could kick-off first thing with marching across my table to get to the siege game, there by killing too birds with one stone as it were :lol: :lol: :lol: and thus acting as a guinea pig in 'getting to the other-side'!

Paul / Golgfag1

lenihan":2rktcqyn said:
Amen!

My only problem is that I was already trying to weigh up how to go between this and Golgfag's planned activities in the two days, and if the siege stretches over 2 days that might make such juggling significantly harder. On the other hand, the idea of really scaling this up even more is tremendously exciting, so I reckon if people want to keep it going I won't stand in their way... just need to figure out how to fit my own timing into that (as a support force or whatever)

Grumdril

My exit visa's been approved so all being well count me in for this. A small-ish orc force with a couple of war machines. Thantsants - I've PM'd you as well.

Looking forward to it!

Paul / Grumdril

Just John

Those PMC buildings are now sold through Caliver Books, which is why they are gone from ebay. Would you recommend them? Also where did you get the farm animals? I've been looking to get my hands on them for a while now.

Mister Rab

Ah! So that's where they went! Thanks, John. Interesting that you can get them unpainted now... Looking at the prices, though, the unpainted cost on Caliver Books looks like what I remember paying for painted versions, although I did buy them all in one go so may have got a bulk discount. They are good buildings, and I do recommend them.

I'm afraid I can't remember where I got the Pegasus animals from, but it took me ages to find them. I think it might have been modelhobbies.co.uk - and they don't stock it anymore. Sorry.

Erny

Thantsants, no thunder stolen I promise. If anything I’m eager to jump on a much more ambitious and exciting bandwagon.

I love all the ideas that have been mentioned so far and can’t help but feel the easiest way to manage the whole shebang would be to forget the strategic time and just play three linked games.

Friday evening, set up the city walls straight away plus any farmsteads and hamlets. Start gaming straight away, the forces of good have been beaten in the field and are beating a hasty retreat back to the city. Civilians are fleeing to the city for their lives. Can the forces of good marshal enough order to take supplies within the walls. The forces of evil are sending their fastest troops to harry the retreating army and capture supplies. Perhaps as a last resort villagers can burn their own crops. VP for Various achievements.

Saturday, Thantsants ideas for sallying forth top get the siege engines. Perhaps we could also add siege towers under construction, skaven (my brother would like to play) or chaos dwarf earth works, supply dumps, powerful characters. Perhaps the number of intact farmsteads from the first game would dictate how many evil units can be on the table and not living off the land elsewhere? No reason limited assaults could not be happening capturing the bastion of a gate house may help with the final assault.

Not sure what Golfag1 has in mind but his message to Lenihan seems to imply that linking his game to ours could be a possibility.

Sunday the final assault, all evil troops are called in off the surrounding land. Number of siege engines left from last game dictates chances of breaches in the wall. Supplies sequestered by the defenders in the first game could have some bearing on troops fitness to fight. Any units that fought their way through golfags horde can turn up to help relieve the siege.

We could have other events, spies and poisoned wells, good omens, disease in either side, ritual magic...

Naturally pick and choose what you like from the above list, including ignoring all points.

I'd like to jump on this one but what should I bring along? I'd prefer to play the evil side if possible. Anything needed in particular? Giants, monsters etc? Siege engines? I could bring an ass-cannon if it adds a bit of merriment.

Back