GorkaMorka RT Bash

After Axiom posted his Bratt-mobile there was a healthy discussion on the Facebook group about the possibility of a general sloppy-jalopy vehicle bash em up using Gorka-Morka rules. The idea being to bring along a vehicle and we have a silly chaotic little game (no need to base it on Orks!). I reckon it'd be ideal sunday morning hangover fodder or for later on on saturday. If there is time to squeeze in a game who would be interested in the madness? We could even just have it as a side game to join in on throughout the two days when you don't have anything else to do. Post your thoughts here.

cheetor

Im in. I like a bit of non-ork-centric GoMo (and ork-centric GoMo).

roguegorkamunda18.jpg

roguegorkamunda16.jpg

ramshackle_curtis":1sa7iqdy said:
THe vehicle rules form GOrkamorka are really stupid. I think you would be better off just straight using the rogue trader ones!

I understand why people dont like the GoMo vehicle rules Curtis, I really do. That said, I have enjoyed them every time that I have played that game and its perfect for playing at a convention with a bunch of people who dont know each other but know Warhammer basics. They are simple and robust.

The RT vehicle rules dont work. They also definitely dont provide anything even vaguely suitable for a racing game sort of thing. On the other hand, your WiP ork boat looks a lot like a metal worm from Dune to me, rather well suited to a GoMo race. Im just sayin' :)

Trouble with RT vehicle rules is there are so many...so players could get confused.

IIRC There were the original rules from 1987

Then these were replaced in the Compendium in 1989

And again they were further completed bastardised in the Proto second edition rules from the 1992 Vehicle Manual (with that weird acetate template ....which I still own and don't really understand!)

Yes the GoMo rules are really stupid...stupid like a fox! They totally work IMO. I used to think GoMo was a bit silly till I stopped worrying about little details like who is going to win and got on with the killing.

I am soooo there dude VROOM VROOM VROOM, I can't wait to get all my ladz killed while engaged in killing yours!

I have something very special lined up for that one ohh yes, but it's super secret, don't want to ruin the shock value until I finish it. ;)

Just John

theottovonbismark":236pbify said:
have something very special lined up for that one ohh yes, but it's super secret, don't want to ruin the shock value until I finish it. ;)

Surely not, you don't mean.....

Just John":14j17sde said:
theottovonbismark":14j17sde said:
have something very special lined up for that one ohh yes, but it's super secret, don't want to ruin the shock value until I finish it. ;)

Surely not, you don't mean.....

Yes I surely do!

But shhhh, the world is not ready for him yet. :mrgreen:

Sorry to be so negative! I just found the gomo vehicle rules just didnt work: damage doesnt work, crashes dont work, rams dont work. The best vehicles are the goblin sail barges. Really fast and basically unbreakable. We played a campaign and while it was really fun, the rules are daft!

I suggested first ed 40k rules as it give very detailed rules on points, so you can make up what you like, and they are very straight forward.

ramshackle_curtis":t86cvzt3 said:
Sorry to be so negative! I just found the gomo vehicle rules just didnt work: damage doesnt work, crashes dont work, rams dont work. The best vehicles are the goblin sail barges. Really fast and basically unbreakable. We played a campaign and while it was really fun, the rules are daft!

I suggested first ed 40k rules as it give very detailed rules on points, so you can make up what you like, and they are very straight forward.

We never used the sail rules so it's good to know that they are ropey, thanks for the heads up Curtis.

I recall we tweaked the movement a bit to make the tracks and wheeled vehicles meaningfully different - tracks were moving 5" instead of 6" I think it were. The rules are pretty daft but they afford quick play which is important for a multilayer game. The randomness tends to keep it interesting for players as there is always a chance of freak swings of luck even when you are down to your last model. The giggle factor is pretty high with GoMo and that endears it to me.

You say giggle factor, but it is impossible to actually damage a vehicle. Basically, the game is about shooting the crew, as you cannot hurt the vehicles. Whats the point of having vehicles if all they are is moving cover?

Interesting that you say that as we found that blowing up the standard vehicles wasn't an issue for us, but thenwe didn't use the Grot Cuttas at all, just bikes, trukks and trakks. I have fond memories of obliterating one of my best mates(or worse enemy really) truckk to comic effect with some lucky big shoota fire. Rokketz are pretty decent at it nuking vehicles, anything with high enough strength seems to do it. We have tended to work out the warband on the day by eyeballing rather than relying on the roster, and thus ensure that there are some options for people to deal with vehicles. We try to keep in mind the most important rule of Warhammer, that the rules are there to be tailored to our own level of mania, which seems to work for us.

axiom

Hang on...so my Brat ride has a single driver with a laspistol. I think I need to increase my armoury!

axiom":3panyowd said:
Hang on...so my Brat ride has a single driver with a laspistol. I think I need to increase my armoury!

Bear in mind that ramming the enemy vehicle T-bone style is a very valid anti-vehicular operation, he will be far too busy trying not to crash to worry about shooting that pistol :grin: .

cheetor

axiom":i4zpn6e2 said:

And so the arms race begins ;) :lol:

Personally, I wouldnt worry too much about min/maxing a vehicle for the sake of an amusing shenanigans generator like GoMo, but give the guy a plasma pistol if that makes you feel better axiom. He probably wont get to shoot it much anyway and Bratt gangers with nifty plasma weapons feels totally authentic anyway. Best not to over think it I reckon, but whatever floats your boat obviously.

GoMo is fun as a one-off Wacky Races style affair. I see a BOYL side game as an opportunity to show off and have fun with a cool vehicle like your Hot Rod and have a few laughs. Whatever I end up bringing to take for a spin will be determined by amusement factor primarily: an opportunity to stick some cool bits and pieces together.

ramshackle_curtis":i4zpn6e2 said:

I am more than happy to give something like this a go in addition to the planned GoMo derby if you want to run it Curtis, for nostalgia if nothing else. If I have the vehicle assembled and painted in advance then I am sure that you could help out with the vehicle construction beforehand so that I would be ready to go (in fact, I am planning to bring a cosmetically modified Boneyard Truck, so you already have an in depth knowledge of exactly the sort of vehicle that I plan to bring).

Im looking for fairly casual games to play on Saturday afternoon and Sunday (I dont want to play anything with a play time of much more than an hour or two) so a second excuse to use a goofy vehicle in a goofy racing/demo derby game suits me just fine.

Back