POLL: Where would 'the collective' like to stay?

Nottingham vs. Newark

• YES! I want to stay in Nottingham!

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • YES! I want to stay in Newark!

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • NO! Other useful suggestion which I will describe below! (Please describe below)

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weazil

Hi all

I thought using the awesome power of democracy (or at least, committee), we might determine how best to accommodate ourselves.

I suppose the obvious advantage to anyone staying in Nottingham itself is that trains actually go there and that we can go out on foot on Saturday evening. The obvious downside is the cost.

The advantage of staying out in the country is that we'll be closer to the Ansells' country seat and it's cheaper. The obvious downside is its in the middle of nowhere and will make it harder for those without cars to attend.

So, lets have a poll!

The basis of this really is that those with cars in Nottingham would be happy to provide lifts to those without so that as many as possible can go.

axiom

As I live in Nottingham, I will stay at my house :)

I will attend as much of the weekend as allowed by daughter's birthday party and spousal (dis)approval! If there are beers of an evening, Nottingham makes slipping out for a sneaky shandy a lot more feasible ;)

Golgfag1

Not sure how to play this one, hence the non commitment vote - quite happy to stay at either location or elsewhere (nice local pub/hotel not far from the venue), but quite happy to run with the majority - just not too keen on the idea of a Sunday morning drive from Nottingham hung-over from the night before. :? :? :?

Paul / Golgfag1

Harry

As I said on the other thread the key decision to be made .... is where are we drinking .... everything else follows on from that. Are we going out in Nottingham or Newark?

Skarsnik

There are 2 or 3 decent pubs in Newark, but Nottingham definitely has more choice. Plus a late night Greggs :grin:

Chico

Skarsnik & Old Lead":u3jvttpd said:
There are 2 or 3 decent pubs in Newark, but Nottingham definitely has more choice. Plus a late night Greggs :grin:

Hmm late night Greggs is good, but the question is that is there a good ol' metal bar worth bothering with in Notts? Otherwise I'd rather stick to a small decent pub where I can get served and often with no long Friday/Saturday queues.

Skarsnik

Chico":2x2zy0q2 said:
Skarsnik & Old Lead":2x2zy0q2 said:

Hmm late night Greggs is good, but the question is that is there a good ol' metal bar worth bothering with in Notts? Otherwise I'd rather stick to a small decent pub where I can get served and often with no long Friday/Saturday queues.

There are several, but we have to think if that will appeal to everyone in the group.

Chico

Aye If it doesn't then we all don't have to stay together all night so just point me in the right direction heh

Skarsnik

Mister Rab":rcy38s3v said:
antipixi":rcy38s3v said:
whiskey priest":rcy38s3v said:
Is there any room in the grounds of Ansell Towers for camping? That could be fun! Drinks and bbq in the evening!

This would be excellent!

I'd be up for this :grin:

The only issue with this is a potential lack of facilities. I certainly don't want to be spending the weekend with a bunch of wargamers who haven't showered!

Mister Rab

Skarsnik & Old Lead":3ckjp7j5 said:
Mister Rab":3ckjp7j5 said:
antipixi":3ckjp7j5 said:
whiskey priest":3ckjp7j5 said:
Is there any room in the grounds of Ansell Towers for camping? That could be fun! Drinks and bbq in the evening!

This would be excellent!

The only issue with this is a potential lack of facilities. I certainly don't want to be spending the weekend with a bunch of wargamers who haven't showered!

That's a very good point :lol:

weazil

Skarsnik & Old Lead":646rwf34 said:
Mister Rab":646rwf34 said:
antipixi":646rwf34 said:
whiskey priest":646rwf34 said:

This would be excellent!

On a related note, I would like to be invited to host BOYL 2015 at the Foundry. I can't help thinking a bunch of drunken, overexcited oldhammerers careening around the estate singing Manowar songs at 01:30 in the morning is not the sort of thing that would contribute to that...

Maybe next year ;)

Asslessman

That and the fact that throwing a bunch of oldhammerers with alcohol in a field could lead to some LARPing... now everyone has a smartphone and can send pics immediately, let's avoid this.

Golgfag1

Em, from the initial responses looks as though Nottingham has the vote of the majority - Anybody else got anything to add?

In hope

Paul Golgfag1

Mister Rab

Following on from the Foundry communique about pubs and hotels in Newark, has there been any shift in where "everyone" wants to stay? I'm guessing there'll be more than eleven people going, so if you've not voted and you're going, where do you want to stay? Have you already booked a room, and if so, where?

Back