BOYL 2014 - Painting Contest

How do you think the painting competition should be judged?

• Nominated judges should decide all the entries.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attendees should decide all the entries by vote.

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • One of the categories should be specifically for technical skill and that category is determined by

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • One of the categories should be specifically 'freeform' and that category is determined by attendee

• Other (Please specify).

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weazil

So having looked at the other discussions around the painting contest for 2014, I can see some very good ideas, all of which should be considered, as there are no real 'right or wrong' answers in this space.

Before we really fight it out with which categories should we have and whether people not present on the day can enter, I wondered if there wasn't a question around the judgement of the painting contest. The reason I ask is that there has been a proposal that the attendees vote for the winners, which dramatically changes how one sees the categories (at least, I think so, because this scenario lends itself to the the-fewer-categories-the-better side of the spectrum).

As I see it, there are two choices (and a combination of the two, to make four options, you see):
  • Judges are nominated to choose the winner. This comes with the questions of 'what makes a good judge' and 'actually, there is more to the judgement than just pure feeling'. This option is more likely to favour highly skilled painters and will most likely lock casual entries out.
  • The attendees vote for the winners. This option lowers the bar for all entrants (possibly even penalising highly skilled painters), as quite frankly, how will we, the great unwashed, know how to judge the skill of the paint job. This is more likely to reward narrative pieces and elements with a sense of humour.

But that's just me. Let me know if there are more choices. If I get too many 'other' options I'll restart the poll with new choices.

Thanks!

Blue in VT

I would vote for it to remain a community event… I.e. the attendees it should vote for the winner. I say this even as someone who surely will not be in attendance....unless my lotto number hit big! :)

Cheers,

Blue

Aiteal

I like the idea of the unwashed voting too, because I feel that it would have a better chance of resulting in a winner that really captures the oldhammer spirit first and foremost rather than being simply a 'painting competition'.

weazil

Hi all

Just a reminder that this poll will be approaching its conclusion soon - I'd still be interested in any uncast votes...

Asslessman

Has any more progress on the painting competition been made?

I remember reading Orlygg mentionning Andy Craig as a possible judge but the massive vite could also be a possibility (though very harder to decide on the day, we would have to take pics on the day and sort out a poll on here or FB later on).
Anyway, I'm all for a multi category thing so that skilled painters get some rewards and imaginative ones too (note that those 2 aspects are totally not incompatible) with a "master" category and a "tongue in cheeck" one for example. Anyway, the only rewards we'll get from this will be thumbs up and a good slap on the shoulder (which seems more than fine for me) but it will at least give an opportunity for some of us to come up with a special piece (and we get to see more painted lead).

Golgfag1

Aiteal":1ygxgmag said:
I like the idea of the unwashed voting too, because I feel that it would have a better chance of resulting in a winner that really captures the oldhammer spirit first and foremost rather than being simply a 'painting competition'.

That'll be H____, then.

Paul / Golgfag1

weazil

Hi chaps

Apologies, I had marked all the threads in this forum as read, when I'd evidently missed that this one had been updated.

Curiously, despite my silence on the topic, I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, mainly because of the original discussion we had about a painting contest in this thread (the discussion occurred late last year in connection with the 2014 oldhammer weekend).

I think the problem comes with the idea of this being a contest. By making it a contest, then one has to judge and if one has to judge, then rules must be in place to create categories so that apples can be compared with apples. I agree with the original intent of the thing, but I wonder if the thing we're really interested in for those actually attending the BOYL weekend might be better described as an exhibition?

THe reason I've raised this is that I don't think we've ever bedded out if the contest was for those present vs. anyone who could engineer a figure to the weekend vs. just sending a picture of a figure someone has done. This, and the fact that the categories and nature of the prize have not been decided and even the general interest in a painting contest has been relatively low (only 8 votes on this poll and only 3 in this one).

So, may I propose this:

Following the nature of BOYL - we don't have a painting contest at all (after all, it's NOT A TOURNAMENT :) ) - rather, feel free to bring figures to display (as happened last year - chaos dwarf juggernaught, great spined dragon and the citadel giant were all brought through just for the sake of it), and we restart the golden gobbo as an annual online competition with categories, deadlines, public voting and prizes.

EDIT

Just for completeness, I've created a discussion thread in the Golden Gobbo section.

Asslessman

(raises his hand)

I'm all for this ! The mere idea of having our entries exhibited amongst other wonders of the foundry is reward enough for me.

Back