BOYL 2014 - 'EVent' Game Proposals

weazil

Hi all

Given that the large participation games ('event' games, I seem to call them, I don't know why) are a large draw for many of the attendees, I thought it would be a good idea to create a space where the games can initially be bandied around and discussed. Chiefly, I am aware that there are many people suggesting they would like to run games, so it sounds like a good idea that those who do, know who the other organisers are and know what their ideas are, so that the right balance of large participation games is struck. Having 20 participation games with only 10 players on the day is as useless as having one participation game with 30 5000 point armies trying to participate.

I'm happy for you to start threads describing your game, your scenario and the things you'd like to achieve, but this is a place where people could at least pose an idea and allow others to chew on it for a while before it becomes a proper 'game'. I fully expect some proposals to drop away as other games form.

Things I think you need to think about when proposing a game:

• The more players you have in your game, the longer it will take.
  • The more player turns (usually because you have more than two opposing sides) you have in game turn, the longer the game will take (exponentially, really!)
  • Are you planning to supply figures for the game? If so, are you happy for others to use them (remember, you may not actually know the player)?
  • Is your scenario force generic, or do you need specific types of armies to participate?
  • Are you planning to produce army lists for the players to use? Are you planning to prescribe what armies and characters are available to the players?
  • Is your scenario dependent on any other player turning up on the day (because he has, say, 5 dragon ogres and they're critical to your scenario)
  • Will you mandate deployment plans?
  • How much table space will your game require? Will your 8-a-side game require a 24' long table?

At the end of the day, the resources I am the most keen on being managed will be time and space - how long is your game likely to take and how much space will you need to run it? The more organisation you put in early, the sooner your game will start on the day, meaning the more time you have to play it out if its a long game.

Also, don't forget that packing and unpacking armies and deploying can take absolute ages, especially as most of the forces will have been well packed for the journey, so please factor this in.

Golgfag1

As posted elsewhere on this forum (Get to the otherside!) - I'd like to run a participation game on Saturday with the emphasis on fun and inclusion (I can and will provide forces for those who want to play and don't have anything with them) and on Sunday an 'easy' large game on the Sunday for those recovering from the night before. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Asslessman

With BOYL coming back in the realm of possibility for me I would like to propose a game

- Setting : Rogue trader Skirmish with a GM
- Number of miniatures : 4/5 per player
- number of gamers : 4/5
- rules : Confrontation for the initiative-based turn, the action system and roleplay oriented aspect, necromunda/40k anything else for the combat phase. I will describe it elsewhere but the idea is to play by order of initiative so that no one has to wait for all the others to play, with little teams so that lot of action can occur with a lot of possibilities of actions. (Each turn will see 20 to 25 characters play)
- scenario : I have a few ideas in mind but it could be adapted to any band you want to come up with
- Game : depending on who wants to play what and how, I could GM this one (with some NPC's :twisted: ) and prepare different objectives for each contestant.
- models : I will bring some bands with me (Sensei band, probably a venator band if it's finished and some other 40k bands) with full stats for every character so that anyone who wants to participate can have a go without having to care about anything.
- time : I plan on a one day game with no proper end meaning we can just stop when it's time to go. The idea being to let the story take place and eventually look at who completed the most objectives at the end of the day (bonuses for good roleplay intended)

Ideally this would be a Saturday event.
I plan on keeping the sunday part to join the Slann madness over Golgfag's table (though I cant' bring much to play) or join a RoC warband game (will bring my RoC challenge warband)

Obviously, all of these will be possible only if I can make it but it looks good for now...

Cheetor and I were looking at having a game on Sunday. It'd likely just be me and him but if others are interested we could either run a game using the same scenario or find roles and figures for folk if the want to join in. It'd be a Rogue Trader game and I'll be supplying the figs for one pirate crew and Cheetor will be bringing his mob of freebooters. I'll be bringing extra bits like a spaceship, loot and a tv crew so we won't really need anything but a table with some terrain and as it's on.y a couple of dozen figures it doesn't have to be a particularly big table. Game length will probably be and hour and a half, give or take 30 minutes at a guess.

Chico

I was going to be running a Cult Uprising game, but I'm not sure now as it's a lot of figures to transport up to the ass end of nowhere. Plus people that were interested seem to have wandered off elsewhere.

Golgfag1

And your point is?

Chico, if you want to do such things - you plan, you prepare, you ask for help and people to participate and you hope their true to their word and they turn up with the kit they promise and if they don't - you make alternative arrangements and you try to do your best with what you've got, it's as simple as that.

Paul / Golgfag1
(Who last year - thanked god for Nico, because I couldn't have asked for more and am preying to god that those who've said their prepared to come out and play this year, will be as true to their word as he was to his).

Chico":2zo74oz5 said:
I was going to be running a Cult Uprising game, but I'm not sure now as it's a lot of figures to transport up to the ass end of nowhere. Plus people that were interested seem to have wandered off elsewhere.

Chico

Golgfag1":1v93b0nb said:
And your point is?

My point was to have a dig/haha at Mr Ass who was meant to be joining in with my game, nothing more and no drama heh and reference he got as he sent me a PM in response lol

Ta ta for now.
Chico

cheetor

whiskey priest":3is4cdvw said:
Cheetor and I were looking at having a game on Sunday. It'd likely just be me and him but if others are interested we could either run a game using the same scenario or find roles and figures for folk if the want to join in. It'd be a Rogue Trader game and I'll be supplying the figs for one pirate crew and Cheetor will be bringing his mob of freebooters. I'll be bringing extra bits like a spaceship, loot and a tv crew so we won't really need anything but a table with some terrain and as it's on.y a couple of dozen figures it doesn't have to be a particularly big table. Game length will probably be and hour and a half, give or take 30 minutes at a guess.

The game that Whiskey Priest and I are hoping to run is intended to be a straightforward little skirmish that echoes a few of the themes from the plot tables at the back of the RT rulebook. The goal is to have something that can comfortably be completed in a couple of hours without any pressure, is a bit of a laugh and has a retro, fun vibe to it. WP is in charge of the nuts and bolts of the scenario but a core principle of the game is that it is something that can actually get set up and played from start to finish in within a couple of hours, definitely under half a day. As combined figure count will be <30 so set up and the like wont be herculean either.

I have seen far too many show games that aim wildly beyond the reach of the participants/organisers, so this one is intended to be all about achievable goals. Work on miniatures for this game has already begun at Chateau Cheetor: space goblins with tricornes FTW!

Gaj/weazil (or anyone else who might know): do we need to talk to anyone specific here or at Foundry to book a table as such? If possible I would like to be able to lock it rather than have to sprint for a table Takeshis Castle style on the day ;)

What Cheetor said, we just need to lock down whether it'll be Saturday and Connected to Asslessman confrontationish game or a standalone or whether it'll be Sunday.

Asslessman

The way I see the confrontation game, it should be straightforward and very free. With confrontation rules and the aid of the GMs to play the action/roleplay part and Necromuda/40k (everyone is pretty familiar with those) for combat.
I see two options :
- A game running the entire day with no real end (objectives and actions will be considered at the end of the day though to reward player's investment and brilliant playing) with the possibility for anyone to enter the game and to leave it (a sort of Royal Rumble skirmish if you will)
- multiple rapid games (2 hours top) to ensure players can enjoy the rest of the activities

cheetor

whiskey priest":3b0zfzxl said:
What Cheetor said, we just need to lock down whether it'll be Saturday and Connected to Asslessman confrontationish game or a standalone or whether it'll be Sunday.

Having elements from our game make a Royal Rumble style entrance/crash landing in the Assless Confrontation whenever we finish up has an appeal if you guys were up for that. If we got our game polished off before lunch on Saturday then that could work out well I think.

weazil

cheetor":26iq1yzi said:
Gaj/weazil (or anyone else who might know): do we need to talk to anyone specific here or at Foundry to book a table as such? If possible I would like to be able to lock it rather than have to sprint for a table Takeshis Castle style on the day ;)

Hi Cheetor

I'm still trying to get a grip on what the new venue will be like (if that is, indeed, where we will be based), but assuming they are able to supply the same number of tables as last time, I'm happy for you to 'book' your table. Basically, my view is that 'show' games get first choice, followed by 'organised' games (that is, games that have been arranged prior to arriving at BOYL 2014), followed by any opportunists arriving on the day. With only one event done so far, I can't claim that our previous experience is enough to make a prediction, but we had empty tables last year, so it really wasn't a problem. Looking at the proposals so far, I'm only seeing a requirement for one large table and more likely two small tables or one large one, depending on how you lot and Asslessman decide your events.

Regards
Gaj

cheetor

weazil":8gmhvibw said:
I'm still trying to get a grip on what the new venue will be like (if that is, indeed, where we will be based), but assuming they are able to supply the same number of tables as last time, I'm happy for you to 'book' your table.

Thanks for the comprehensive response Gaj.

While I hope to be involved in JB Asslessmans game on some level, I wont be directly involved in the organising of it. So I will leave that in JBs capable hands.

Assuming that this thread counts for booking, I would like to book a single table on Saturday for the "Abdul Goldberg" (working title) scenario that whiskey priest and I will be playing.

Many thanks Gaj, Im looking forward to meeting you in the day (and I really want to pick your brains about the Judge Dredd Rules With No Name variant that you ran late last year, so I will definitely track you down for that :grin: ). Im looking forward to it already :)

axiom

Just catching myself up on all the planned stuff going on. I would definitely be interested in joining in JB's proposed game. I'm sure I can manage to paint 2 more Brats between now and August for a 5-man gang ;)

Asslessman

axiom":216f9o6v said:
Just catching myself up on all the planned stuff going on. I would definitely be interested in joining in JB's proposed game. I'm sure I can manage to paint 2 more Brats between now and August for a 5-man gang ;)

8-)

I'll make sure my venators have enough style to their taste.

I'm happy to bring a small selection of my Rogue Trader Marines to take part in one of be RT games for those who need another participant.

Me and Thantsants were discussing an Epic game (1992 rules) ...is there much interest in this?

Thantsants

Agh, yet again too many games to play and so little time!

I'm definitely up for some Epic - possibly a Sunday morning or afternoon?

I'd also be interested in running a simplified Siege game - we didn't quite get round to it during my Battle at the Farm weekend. I have two Mighty Fortresses under construction and a large Goblinoid horde with plenty of artillery that would love to have a crack at it! Lenihan and my mate Ollie are interested - anyone else? It'd probably run all day Saturday or Sunday depending what else is on.

Other than that I'd like to use the rest of my remaining free day between getting my Slann in to action if I can get enough painted up in time and perhaps a bit of Bloodbowl...

Vyper

I'd like to be involved in a RoC or WFB3 game at some point during the weekend, it works be good to know in advance as either way I'd need to get stuff painted!

Asslessman

axiom":1a9xnfd9 said:
Sounds like a plan! All we need is some scavvies, ash waste nomads & Helmawr gangers.

I have a scavvie gang in mind, a tech one too and I'll have at least 2 Helmawr gangers painted by then, only have a couple of waste nomads but they're far in the priority list ...

Definitely should have the techs and Helmwar covered for B-day.

Back