Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition


Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2014, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar

Moderator

Posts: 2072

Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 am

Location: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Works for me - But how to judge how a single figure embodies the spirit of oldhammer, now there's a question? :? :? :?

Paul / Golgfag1

Greater Harlequin wrote:Sigh..............I typed out a lengthy reply and it has somehow failed to post. I really must do something about my IT skills.

Painting competition is a fantastic idea and one I will readily support in any way I can. I would however like to share a few thoughts that occur to me.

1) There were 3 entries I believe last time. I am sure we can improve on this but 3 out of say 30 attendees was 10%. For the number of categories that are being suggested you will need hundreds of attendees.

2) My suggestion would be plain and simple...two categories...fantasy and Sci Fi.

3) You can still award the 'slayer sword' to the best in competition.

4) I fear the prize of a sword will attract people who have no interest in the Oldhammer movement/scene but just want another trophy for the mantelpiece. If you are going to offer a prize like that, restrict the competition to pre existing members of this forum.

5) Make it a truly open competition. Anyone can enter a single model into either or both of the categories. It could be a single figure, a single mounted figure, a monster or vehicle. The only restriction is that it is based for the tabletop not for competition.

6) There is no need to restrict the models entered to a manufacturer or era of manufacture. The judges will pick the winner based on a number of factors not least of which is whether it embodies the spirit of Oldhammer.

7) Keep it simple...this is not Golden demon at the NIA its Oldhammer at Foundry (and all the better for it in my view)

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Graham
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar

Posts: 48

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Location: Poland

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

This would be a stationary competition, or Internet one?

EDIT: concerning the unpainted photo request - maybe it isn't that necessary, but I encountered this requirement on many Internet painting competitions. One nice thing about it is that the painting competition "motivates" people to paint more, not just make photos of stuff painted years ago. Other requirement, instead of the one above is to enter only with miniatures that were never in any competition before.

Posts: 43

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 am

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

The spirit of Oldhammer is difficult to identify but I think its a case of an elephant.....you know one when you see one :-)

If a figure is the latest fine crap resin casting painted to current competition standards and style, I suspect it wouldn't get the spirit of Oldhammer tick. We would probably be looking for classic models painted sympathetically or even modern production painted as if they belong on a tabletop in 1989 rather than 2013?

Personally I would get a panel of judges (say 3) and ask them to rate each entry using a set of flexible guidelines, for example:

1) Quality of paintwork, does it show good technique, freehand work etc.
2) Choice of model...... does it embody Oldhammer or is it 'out of place' in the competition?
3) Quality and style of basing.
4) Any extra factors for which credit should be given such as conversion work or anything else not covered above.

Those are off the top of my head but something similar would provide a structure and framework by which to consider each entry.

Oh......... I would also restrict entries to physical attendees which I am sure will upset some board members, but there is nothing more of a let-down than a winner who isn't there to receive their trophy.

Other points to consider are when the judging takes place and when the prizes are to be awarded. I was personally only present on the Saturday and I don't think I was alone in that. As a two day event it makes sense to award the trophy at the end of the event on Sunday afternoon. The judging could however be done on the Saturday so that models didn't have to stay there for the whole two days. Thoughts anyone?
User avatar

Posts: 350

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Location: EPINAC - BURGUNDY - FRANCE

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Greater Harlequin wrote:Oh......... I would also restrict entries to physical attendees which I am sure will upset some board members, but there is nothing more of a let-down than a winner who isn't there to receive their trophy.

I'm against this one as that would almost limit the participation to british members, and Oldhammer has to be a Worlwide Movement to exist !

Bruno
Image
Buy new miniatures with an oldschool feel on http://vialudibunda.com

Posts: 43

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 am

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:11 am

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Physical attendance was just a suggestion. It really depends on what the competition is for. If it is for the event itself, which is a physical event in the real world ie Nottingham, and not the internet, then I think the models have to be there not just photo's on the web. I suppose a compromise would be submission of models via other attending members perhaps ? I don't see how else it would work.

If you want a painting competition on the internet then I think that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

What do others think?
User avatar

Posts: 350

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Location: EPINAC - BURGUNDY - FRANCE

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Greater Harlequin wrote:Physical attendance was just a suggestion. It really depends on what the competition is for. If it is for the event itself, which is a physical event in the real world ie Nottingham, and not the internet, then I think the models have to be there not just photo's on the web. I suppose a compromise would be submission of models via other attending members perhaps ? I don't see how else it would work.

If you want a painting competition on the internet then I think that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

What do others think?

Yes it's a physical competition, models have to be there, but it's not a problem to send one to someone going to the event !
Image
Buy new miniatures with an oldschool feel on http://vialudibunda.com

Posts: 43

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 am

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:56 am

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

treps wrote:
Greater Harlequin wrote:Physical attendance was just a suggestion. It really depends on what the competition is for. If it is for the event itself, which is a physical event in the real world ie Nottingham, and not the internet, then I think the models have to be there not just photo's on the web. I suppose a compromise would be submission of models via other attending members perhaps ? I don't see how else it would work.

If you want a painting competition on the internet then I think that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

What do others think?

Yes it's a physical competition, models have to be there, but it's not a problem to send one to someone going to the event !


Agreed, that is about the only possible compromise that I could think of, as I said above.

My personal view remains as stated, not because I wish to spoil another members fun but because I feel that is correct. I wouldn't expect to be able to enter a competition at an event unless I attended the event in question. If an Oldhammer day was held in France or anywhere else in the world I wouldn't expect to enter any of the activities without being there. However perhaps the suggested compromise will meet with most peoples agreement?

Either way, I was just throwing out some quick thoughts on how such a competition could run to stimulate a bit of discussion on some of the more difficult questions. Anyone else have any better idea's?

Whatever is decided, I plan to be there for the weekend (real life aside) and would be happy to help in any capacity.
User avatar

Moderator

Posts: 2072

Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 am

Location: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 am

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Sorry Treps,

But this is just one small event within a whole bigger show, and at the request our hosts - it would appear poor form in my opinion, to turn it into something which wouldn't actually be there (a internet event) over the weekend. How do we to tell the casual visitor - that they need to go on to the internet to look at the entries to the painting competition - nah the figures/models have to be there to be judged in the flesh(we had entries last year sent by post and I'm sure people are willing to accommodate such things again, yes?

Anyway, I'm sure we can run something similar here during the course of the year's usual events (Dreamfish any ideas?)

As for your final statement that "Oldhammer has to be a world wide Movement to exist" - heavy stuff, but I see it more as an idea - which needs no body, to exist bar the one who had it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CgSRI2K4k0. But this is not a subject to discuss here, on a message board discussing a painting competition, if, you feel you want to take this further - please PM me & I'll happily debate the subject to the ends of my limited ability.

Enjoy
Paul / Golgfag1

treps wrote:
Greater Harlequin wrote:Oh......... I would also restrict entries to physical attendees which I am sure will upset some board members, but there is nothing more of a let-down than a winner who isn't there to receive their trophy.

I'm against this one as that would almost limit the participation to british members, and Oldhammer has to be a Worlwide Movement to exist !

Bruno
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar

Posts: 80

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:16 am

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Changing the tone slightly - do I get a pile of goodies if I win? :D

Image
User avatar

Moderator

Posts: 2072

Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 am

Location: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:29 am

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Vitai Lampada

Paul / Golgfag1

Masterwork wrote:Changing the tone slightly - do I get a pile of goodies if I win? :D

Image
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/
PreviousNext

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2014

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.