Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition


Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2014, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Posts: 643

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Location: The white stilletoed hell of Braintree

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Talking to Golgfag, I feel this needs a thread of its own. I (hopefully) will be able to provide a real sword as an overall prize, so the victor can raise the blade aloft and have the picture forever preserved online. But i will not make the investment if there isn't any interest in doing a painting competition.

So what are your thoughts? Up for a comp? Do you want categories? Entry requirements (I feel these should be minimal)?

Discuss!
Warhammer is dead! Long live Third!

Check out Orlygg's blogs at http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://warhammer40000roguetrader.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar

Moderator

Posts: 1849

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Location: Vermont, USA

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Looking at even the few entries from last years event I think some limitations or catagories will be necessary. My wardancer felt a little lost against a gargant and a figure on an elaborate display plinth. (Or maybe he was just being too sensitive...he is an elf after all...;) )Of course you would need to have the participation to make it worth while.

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/
User avatar

Posts: 1931

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Blue in VT wrote:Looking at even the few entries from last years event I think some limitations or catagories will be necessary. My wardancer felt a little lost against a gargant and a figure on an elaborate display plinth. (Or maybe he was just being too sensitive...he is an elf after all...;) )Of course you would need to have the participation to make it worth while.

Blue


Yea, I've organized quite a few painting competitions and they can be really hard. You can't allow too much (huge plinths, custom sculpts, etc.) for fear of alienating some painters, but you have to allow as much creativity as possible so you don't alienate others. It's a fine line to walk.
User avatar

Moderator

Posts: 2071

Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 am

Location: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Ok, here's a few ideas for the categories

Warhammer (25-35mm)
Single mounted figure (any type of mount)
mounted unit (minimum 10 figures)
Single foot figure
Foot unit (Minimum 20 figures)
Single model (over 35mm)
Model unit (minimum 3 model/beasts)
Army (Minimum fifty figures)

Rogue trader
mounted unit (minimum 7 figures)
Single foot figure
Foot unit (Minimum 10 figures)
Single model (Any type of race)
Single model/beast (over 35mm)
Model unit (minimum 3 model/beasts)
Army (minimum 50 figures)

Miscellaneous - Models (anything)
We could also have a group category - The group picks a miniature and all entries are that miniature painted/modeled, in any way the painter/modeller chooses, but the basic miniature is the one chosen by the group.

What say you all?

Paul / Golgfag1



Orlygg wrote:Talking to Golgfag, I feel this needs a thread of its own. I (hopefully) will be able to provide a real sword as an overall prize, so the victor can raise the blade aloft and have the picture forever preserved online. But i will not make the investment if there isn't any interest in doing a painting competition.

So what are your thoughts? Up for a comp? Do you want categories? Entry requirements (I feel these should be minimal)?

Discuss!
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar

Posts: 350

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Location: EPINAC - BURGUNDY - FRANCE

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Golgfag1 wrote:Ok, here's a few ideas for the categories

Warhammer (25-35mm)
Single mounted figure (any type of mount)
mounted unit (minimum 10 figures)
Single foot figure
Foot unit (Minimum 20 figures)
Single model (over 35mm)
Model unit (minimum 3 model/beasts)
Army (Minimum fifty figures)

Rogue trader
mounted unit (minimum 7 figures)
Single foot figure
Foot unit (Minimum 10 figures)
Single model (Any type of race)
Single model/beast (over 35mm)
Model unit (minimum 3 model/beasts)
Army (minimum 50 figures)

Miscellaneous - Models (anything)
We could also have a group category - The group picks a miniature and all entries are that miniature painted/modeled, in any way the painter/modeller chooses, but the basic miniature is the one chosen by the group.

What say you all?

My 2 cents, we need to be sure to have enough participants in each categories and 15 categories with at least 3 miniatures in each means 45 miniatures at least, that seems a lot right now, for the first time it may be a good idea to limit (for example) to :

Fantasy :
    single
    unit (at least 5 miniatures)
    machine

W40k :
    single
    unit (at least 5 miniatures)
    machine

Open :
    everything with no limitation !

That would still make 7 categories, hoping to have at least 21 miniatures (3 in each).

That's just my opinion, use it as (and if) you may see fit ;)

Bruno
Image
Buy new miniatures with an oldschool feel on http://vialudibunda.com
User avatar

Posts: 806

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Location: Nottingham

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

I tend to agree with Treps, with fewer categories, there will be more competition. I'd go with:

Fantasy single Figure (up to 25mm base)
Fantasy Monster/war machine. (anything over 25mm base size)
Fantasy unit.

And the same categories for 40K, and then an 'anything goes' category for dioramas, plinths, etc.

All the 'standard' entries should be based for gaming, and on standard bases as per Warhammer rules.

Only thing I'd want to specify is the limitations regards figures that can be used. Or even are there any? Is there a date cut off for example? Personally I'd suggest anything pre-92 as eligible, but that's just my personal thoughts that Oldhammer ended at 2nd ed 40k/4th Ed WFB.
User avatar

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Posts: 4121

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Location: Watford, England

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

I'd say go with no limitations on age of a figure, as that's always going to cause arguments. Plus theirs alternative companies that make figures in a old style.
User avatar

Posts: 48

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Location: Poland

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

I am interested in participating on the WFB side of the competition. My requirement would be a photo of unpainted miniature, to "assure" that the minis are painted after the competition is announced. Also the title is bit misleading, I mean "weekend" is often not enough time to paint one miniature, let alone a unit or something big.
User avatar

Posts: 350

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Location: EPINAC - BURGUNDY - FRANCE

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Gorim wrote: My requirement would be a photo of unpainted miniature, to "assure" that the minis are painted after the competition is announced.

I'm curious on this one, Why do you want this ?

As for manufacturer/year of production, I don't see the point of having restriction on the miniature being painted only for the competition, if someone would like to propose something he painted years ago what would the problem be ?

Bruno
Image
Buy new miniatures with an oldschool feel on http://vialudibunda.com

Posts: 43

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 am

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Painting Competition

Sigh..............I typed out a lengthy reply and it has somehow failed to post. I really must do something about my IT skills.

Painting competition is a fantastic idea and one I will readily support in any way I can. I would however like to share a few thoughts that occur to me.

1) There were 3 entries I believe last time. I am sure we can improve on this but 3 out of say 30 attendees was 10%. For the number of categories that are being suggested you will need hundreds of attendees.

2) My suggestion would be plain and simple...two categories...fantasy and Sci Fi.

3) You can still award the 'slayer sword' to the best in competition.

4) I fear the prize of a sword will attract people who have no interest in the Oldhammer movement/scene but just want another trophy for the mantelpiece. If you are going to offer a prize like that, restrict the competition to pre existing members of this forum.

5) Make it a truly open competition. Anyone can enter a single model into either or both of the categories. It could be a single figure, a single mounted figure, a monster or vehicle. The only restriction is that it is based for the tabletop not for competition.

6) There is no need to restrict the models entered to a manufacturer or era of manufacture. The judges will pick the winner based on a number of factors not least of which is whether it embodies the spirit of Oldhammer.

7) Keep it simple...this is not Golden demon at the NIA its Oldhammer at Foundry (and all the better for it in my view)

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Graham
Next

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2014

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.